Nikon Nikon Coolpix P950

f6.5 at the (very) long end.

I wouldn't mind trying one out and seeing how it compares IQ-wise to the one inch superzooms. I'm really not interested in giving up much IQ for the extra reach. So for me, it would really be about everything in the 200mm-2000mm range. But if it's CLOSE to performance of the one inch models.....maybe it could be my "only" since I don't shoot much.

I wouldn't expect performance to be close to the 1 inch models. It's basically a small sensor from 2015 (I'm just assuming that the sensor is practically unchanged from the P900 - would have been interesting to see one of the new smartphone camera sensors in there)

You probably gain somewhat at the long end - where you're basically digitally zooming/cropping on the 1inch sensors...

I don't think these mega-zooms are for pixel peeping (the sample photo of the kingfisher looks pretty bad at pixel level) - rather for playfulness and no limitations.
Being able to go from macro to 2000mm tele in one camera sounds like a lot of fun...

f6.5 at the (very) long end.

I wouldn't mind trying one out and seeing how it compares IQ-wise to the one inch superzooms. I'm really not interested in giving up much IQ for the extra reach. So for me, it would really be about everything in the 200mm-2000mm range. But if it's CLOSE to performance of the one inch models.....maybe it could be my "only" since I don't shoot much.

I am actually tempted a bit by this - and think it's an update that makes sense.

When looking at the P1000 (too big/heavy) and the P900 (no raw, small viewfinder, slow-ish buffer) I think a lot of potential buyers were thinking about a camera that Nikon has now delivered - a P1000 with the smaller lens of the P900.

Yeah, I saw the P950 announcement and my antennae went up. The P900 received surprisingly good reviews when it came out - even if those reviews were realistic about the 1/2.3-inch sensor.

But by all accounts the lens was quite good optically and the image stabilization was fantastic. None of that should change with the new camera and we're now getting raw capability, 4K video and an up-to-date EVF. They can only help.

But by all accounts the lens was quite good optically and the image stabilization was fantastic

One of my friends has the P900 (she had a P600 and passed it to her hubby)... I’ve found its weight a little challenging but I think to get the range I would be tripodding anyway. Or at the least, breaking out the wrist braces. I’ll be waiting though, until its price drops over here, currently the first price i saw was $1399 which is more than I want to spend.

Back