Nikon Nikon D3200, small DSLR announced with 24 megapixels

Still just a rumour as I understand it. But it certainly would create quite a splash in the market if that's the case.
It would also be rather surprising if Nikon brings out an entry level camera that has a more advanced sensor than the three models "above" it (D5100,D7000,D300s), usually it goes the other way.

Overall it's great for us consumers, although I find the 16mp files from my D5100 on the large side already.

I expect that Sony 24mp sensor to equip the whole new DX range, and the seperation between models to be based on functions, build quality and controls rather than IQ.

We would have that D3200 as the good value, good IQ still camera, a D5200 that does the same thing plus top notch video and a few tweaks, and the D7100: a D7000 with a higher end body and AF system that would replace both the D7000 and D300s.

That's three cameras in the DX range, two in the FX range, and that leave the CX line with some room to expand at the bottom.

Sounds interesting, but do the kind of people who are buying relatively budget DSLRs really want to have to cope with the huge files a 24mp sensor produces? Even the jpegs must be pretty large...

I'd be happy to stay with 12mp if the sensor quality stayed in line with the higher res sensors. Even 16mp is pushing at my seams - I'd have to see something ENORMOUSLY compelling to go to 24, let alone 36!

-Ray

I'd be happy to stay with 12mp if the sensor quality stayed in line with the higher res sensors. Even 16mp is pushing at my seams - I'd have to see something ENORMOUSLY compelling to go to 24, let alone 36!
-Ray

Well, the D800 images are pretty compelling to me. If they could sneak that sensor into a D3100 sized body I'd be tickled pink.

I find the 24mp very interesting if you want to do birding on the cheap. You can crop a lot more for the same IQ, so in practice you get more reach without having to resort to very expensive (and heavy) glass.

The 24 mp sensor is actually pretty good. More noise in RAW files even at low ISO, but the amount of detail it captures is awesome. Most of the noise is a fine grain. So it cleans up well in Lightroom.

I don't doubt the quality, but the 3100 is basically their entry level DSLR, right? So ostensibly the 3200 will succeed it as their entry level DSLR. While I don't doubt that some percentage of serious photographers would find reason to want a sensor with that much resolution, I'm just doubting whether it might not be lost on the typical buyer of an entry level DSLR. Who very possibly might never swap out the kit zoom lens...

-Ray

I agree it will totaly be lost on them, but then again the current 14mp sensor of the D3100 is already massively overkill for most. That's the way technology goes, and at least it means cheaper prices for discontinued DSLRs, meaning even more people can have fun with cameras like the D3000, D60, D40x at bargain price. That's fine with me.

Back