Nikon Nikon D610

Yeah, it's an awesome camera and even better value. It's got the same 24mp sensor as the D750, RX1, A7, and D600. It's AF system and burst rate aren't the top of the line, but they're very good, just lacking a few AF points (39 vs 51 total points). I think it's an amazing sensor, better than the D4s/Df sensor in good light, and not that far off at all in low light. I have a Df and there's a side of me that thinks about adding a refurb or used D610 for use in good light to go along with the Df for low light. But I can't see doing it because the differences just aren't great enough and I don't ever see myself carrying two DSLR bodies (which I have done at times with m43 and Fuji bodies). But if you're not a wedding pro who needs the ultimate in low light AF (not that the D610 isn't very good in low light, just not quite as good as the very best), it's a great camera and an amazing entry into full frame... Pretty small and light too - only the Df is smaller and lighter and it's not by much....

I shot with one for a while before I settled on the Df and it was a very close choice between the two...

-Ray

worth a watch

I think he makes too much of the differences between the D610 and the D750. The basic differences are the video capability, flip up screen (with crummy live view functionality, and the better/newer AF system). He says it's better at high ISO and I've seen a few reviews make something of this, but all the evidence I've seen from various folks on the DPR Nikon FX forum is that the sensor is identical to the D610, with maybe a better processor for jpegs, but that the raw files are more or less identical. If they were the same price or close to it, I'd buy the D750, but if there was more than a few hundred $$ between them (which there is, particularly since you can get used and refurbished D610 bodies, where the difference can be $1000 or more), I'd buy the D610 instead in a New York minute...

-Ray

Nice work on Flickr Ray, think you have commented on some of my work with the Sigma Merrils, just love them but miss the DSLRs, just want to make sure I make the right choice.
Bill

hard to go wrong with the D610 at the price it is going for. You can use a lot of lenses with it, and really old ones by having them Ai converted. I went for the Df as I have a lot of non-Ai lenses, and just like working with dials. It's what I grew up with, and this is a hobby.

The difference between the 610 and 750 bodies new at B&H is $700. Not a great insight on my part, but I get a real thrill participating in a discussion about FF cameras.

The difference between the 610 and 750 bodies new at B&H is $700. Not a great insight on my part, but I get a real thrill participating in a discussion about FF cameras.

Right, and that's the new price for each. Since you can easily get a refurbished (or used) D610, but not D750, the practical difference can be closer to a grand...

-Ray

Back