Fuji Nikon Df vs. Fuji x-pro1

pniev

Student for life
I saw the Nikon Df today at my trusted camera shop. Herewith a quick comparison between the x-pro and the Df (also posted at SC). I was able to hold it and try it a few minutes. My apologies for the comparison shots. They were taken with my iphone and I could not get a good angle and lighting. But you'll get the idea.

First impressions:
1. surprisingly lightweight, also with the new 58mm 1.4 lens. There is a lot of rubber, so the x-pro1 feels more sturdy. The camera looks much bigger than the x-pro1 but it does not feel bigger.
2. shutter sound: very acceptable. Not like the D800. You hear it but it's not disturbing.
3. handling: it feels very comfortable in the hand (better than the x-pro with grip). The grip is tiny though. Controls are intuitive. Changing shutter speed and PASM settings can be done without taking your eye of the viewfinder. Changing ISO and exposure compensation cannot.
4. The big button on the right front side of the camera (next to the Df sign) is actually a wheel to choose aperture. I prefer aperture on the lens
5. AF muuuuuuuuch faster than the x-pro and less noisy. Very snappy. But I would not expect anything less for a D4 in a smaller body.
6. Viewfinder: mmmah.
7. Looks: a matter of personal taste. I'm not sure yet.

Is it a "serious compact"? Don't know but it definitely is a lot smaller and lighter than the Nikon D800. To me this camera is a serious alternative for the x-pro1. But then again, the A7/A7R is an alternative as well.

BTW: the 58mm looks like a fantastic lens with a surprisingly low weight.

View attachment 17034

p437695562-5.jpg

p471773496-5.jpg

]View attachment 17035

The Nikon does look a bit larger than I would have thought. But still, it is FF, so that size is justifiable. Maybe we will be seeing the next X-Pro from Fuji as a FF rangefinder.

Thanks for the quick review Pniev! That was very informative. And thanks to you, my initial repulsion is starting to turn into morbid curiosity. And maybe GASeous soon enough ...

Oh boy ...

Is the DF already for sale?

As far as I know it will be(come) available as of November 28. But I guess it may take longer to get one. Personally I am not in a hurry. I'm not sure if I want to switch as well. It will be quite an investment, even if I trade the entire Fuji set.

Thanks for the quick review Pniev! That was very informative. And thanks to you, my initial repulsion is starting to turn into morbid curiosity. And maybe GASeous soon enough ...

Oh boy ...

Is the DF already for sale?

Every comparison is apples vs. oranges, depending on the perspective. But apples and oranges are both fruit. Nikon Df, Sony A7, Fuji x-pro are cameras. Yes, I see the differences and the potential application of each camera. Unfortunately I can't justify owning all of them. Also just a personal opinion, of course. ;)

IMHO,
It's an apples/oranges comparison.

Oranges give me heartburn...

I like it, but I need to know more before I buy. I love the direct control via dials, and the lack of video. I love MASP, although I could definitely live without the P. It still looks bulky compared to my beloved FM3a. I have over the years had EM, FE, FM, FE2 and FA, and the proportions of this remind me of a fat version of the latter; a little bit top heavy... I have some nice Nikon glass, but 90% AIS so this is of interest...

Sent from another Galaxy

LOL. Now the question is. Who is the apple? Nikon or Fuji (or sony or..)

Apples and oranges comparisons are not necessarily invalid. I prefer apples ;)

Oranges give me heartburn...

I like it, but I need to know more before I buy. I love the direct control via dials, and the lack of video. I love MASP, although I could definitely live without the P. It still looks bulky compared to my beloved FM3a. I have over the years had EM, FE, FM, FE2 and FA, and the proportions of this remind me of a fat version of the latter; a little bit top heavy... I have some nice Nikon glass, but 90% AIS so this is of interest...

Sent from another Galaxy

I think I'll ultimately resist any strange urges to get a Nikon DF. I just can't see myself ever going back to a DSLR. And if I did, it would be because I want all the modern and high tech aspects of DSLR, not for the retro looks.

Which is a wise thing to do. To me the primary reason for considering the Df is the big pixel size (with its advantages for dynamic range, color accuracy and tonality) and the DoF characteristics for this camera size. The better handling/comfort and speed is less of a a reason. At this point, however, I am pretty sure that these benefits do not justify the additional investment (I just got a quote of my AD). I am also interested in the A7 (less and less in the A7R) but I don't know how it feels in the hand. Or perhaps I should just wait until the Fuji 56mm hits the market. To be continued... It's fun, isn't it?

I think I'll ultimately resist any strange urges to get a Nikon DF. I just can't see myself ever going back to a DSLR. And if I did, it would be because I want all the modern and high tech aspects of DSLR, not for the retro looks.

actually, imo, the primary reason to consider the df is if you have a stockpile of nikon glass. or if you have no glass and wanna start out FF. otherwise i think its a nonstarter, even though this is a serious #%*+ piece of machinary! the analogue controls are awesome and seem well thought out--makes one wonder why fuji 'wasted' so much space on the xpro.

Analog dials are nice. But like Pniev wrote above, if I can't have access to the dials without pulling my face off the VF, then that's no good. I'd love to have an ISO analog dial on the next XPro2 -- but it has to be located on the right side of the camera (when looking at the camera from behind). That shouldn't be too hard, because the Fuji's don't have a hump on the middle of the camera.

Another reason I don't care too much about DSLR's is the inability to have face detection (when not using live view). Only DSLR I can think of that offers face detection are Sony SLT's.

I personally feel like the Df is an almost total design and marketing mess, kind of like the Honda CR-Z. The CR-Z is supposed to be both hybrid and sporty, and manages to be neither, and as such does not live up to its CRX pedigree. The Nikon Df looks good, of course, but unless you plan to spend a lot of time staring at it or photographing it with your x-mount cameras, looks only go so far. I really feel like Nikon should have gone full-in on retro, or not, but they've kind of half-assed everything and as such, it just looks like clunky retro icing on a thoroughly modern DSLR cake.

The D4 sensor in a small body is compelling, but all the other cost-cutting dressed as "retro styling" works against that sensor. I personally don't find anything "purer" about having annoying ergonomic things get in my way. To me the Fujis are a much better marriage of old and new, with a very sensible, practical approach to controls, ergonomics, and styling.

And the price... oof. If the Df lived in a vacuum, it might be a more compelling camera--but you can have an (IMHO) vastly superior D800 for nearly the same price and without all the frippery. Want a "pure" photographic experience? Use an old manual focus Nikon lens on the D800 and shoot it in M. Better yet, do the same on a D200, and you'll have an ISO range that more closely resembles film! :LOL:

Back