Fuji Nikon Df vs. Fuji x-pro1

The Df has to be the most polarizing camera I've seen lately. People love it or hate it. The funny thing is, the vast majority of those who actually own it, even those who went in skeptically, seem to love it. Which means a lot. I have to admit its the first DSLR that I've had ANY interest in at all. I haven't handled one and I may well still find it too big and heavy to want to mess with. But, the idea of a D4 sensor in a smaller lighter body to walk around with a small bag of prime lenses sounds like something I could get to really like. I'm not likely to buy into any full frame system until I see how the A7 line progresses and if anyone else jumps into the full frame mirrorless market. But I have to admit the Df interests me based on the combination of sensor, size, and weight. I don't care as much about the retro controls - I'd rather have the Fuji or RX1 controls with the exposure comp dial on the right shoulder, aperture controls ON the lens, and everything else done with relatively modern controls. But I could get along with the Df well enough if I decided it was the right combination of stuff.

The X-Pro is not all that polarizing a camera. I'm afraid it's gonna a be a highly irrelevant camera since Fuji has expanded the lens lineup into so many lenses that don't work well, if at all, with the OVF. The OVF is one of the primary things that drew me to Fuji in the first place, but the only Fuji I'd buy with an OVF now would be the X100s because it works with the lens(es - if you count the 28 adapter) available for the camera.

-Ray

Well stated, Ray.

This would be exactly the reason for me to add the Df to the collection. And the performance in low light is very impressive. I only wish the camera had similar controls on top as the x-t1. But I do hesitate...i suspect Fuji to launch a organic sensor based system in 2015 or early 2016.

the idea of a D4 sensor in a smaller lighter body to walk around with a small bag of prime lenses sounds like something I could get to really like.
-Ray

Boy, am I glad I'm through with DSLRs, full frame and to top it off: Sony. Just back from a long walk with the XP1 and that brick is just about what I'm willing to carry all day long. At least those folks interested in or already owning the DF have a fantastic sensor and a great lens lineup to choose from. Happy shooting folks ! Regarding Sony, after 3 years with the NEXes I'm out and hope for all who got a 7 or 7r that Sony has learned something from their mistakes with that system, especially their e-mount lineup, sensor incompabilities (NEX-7) and finally get and keep! their act together. In the meantime my hard earned cash goes to Fujifilm and so far I haven't regretted a single cent - on the contrary, I never enjoyed any photographic gear that much as I enjoy my Xes and their lenses.

these would be the most fitting lyrics to a switch from a nex to a x (if only the cameras were switched around):

My nex girl
Will be nothing like my x girl
I made mistakes back then
I'll never do it again
With my nex girl
She'll be nothing like my x girl
That was a painful dance
Now I got a second chance

(Sent from another Galaxy - Tapatalk.)

Boy, am I glad I'm through with DSLRs, full frame and to top it off: Sony. Just back from a long walk with the XP1 and that brick is just about what I'm willing to carry all day long. At least those folks interested in or already owning the DF have a fantastic sensor and a great lens lineup to choose from. Happy shooting folks ! Regarding Sony, after 3 years with the NEXes I'm out and hope for all who got a 7 or 7r that Sony has learned something from their mistakes with that system, especially their e-mount lineup, sensor incompabilities (NEX-7) and finally get and keep! their act together. In the meantime my hard earned cash goes to Fujifilm and so far I haven't regretted a single cent - on the contrary, I never enjoyed any photographic gear that much as I enjoy my Xes and their lenses.

I never liked the Nex stuff much either, personally, but Sony has really gotten it's act together on the RX1 (which I now own) and the RX10 (which I shot with pretty extensively). I actually prefer the interfaces of those two cameras more than the current line of Fujis and the build and controls are just solid. I haven't handled an A7, but it looks like a multi-lens version of the RX1 with a built in EVF. If and when they develop a few more native lenses I like, I could easily end up with that system. If not, I could easily not...

-Ray

I never liked the Nex stuff much either, personally, but Sony has really gotten it's act together on the RX1 (which I now own) and the RX10 (which I shot with pretty extensively). I actually prefer the interfaces of those two cameras more than the current line of Fujis and the build and controls are just solid. I haven't handled an A7, but it looks like a multi-lens version of the RX1 with a built in EVF. If and when they develop a few more native lenses I like, I could easily end up with that system. If not, I could easily not...

-Ray

Perfectly understandable but huge IF and WHENS. Sony did a lot of things right with their NEXes but thoroughly messed up a good number of critical aspects, so after 3 years I just don't 'trust' them anymore - nor that I ever did, but after 30 years I was pretty tired of being a Nikon sherpa.
Good luck to all those folks who couldn't hold it and pulled the trigger on one of the new A7(r), they might need it.

Crz

I personally feel like the Df is an almost total design and marketing mess, kind of like the Honda CR-Z. The CR-Z is supposed to be both hybrid and sporty, and manages to be neither, and as such does not live up to its CRX pedigree. The Nikon Df looks good, of course, but unless you plan to spend a lot of time staring at it or photographing it with your x-mount cameras, looks only go so far. I really feel like Nikon should have gone full-in on retro, or not, but they've kind of half-assed everything and as such, it just looks like clunky retro icing on a thoroughly modern DSLR cake.

The D4 sensor in a small body is compelling, but all the other cost-cutting dressed as "retro styling" works against that sensor. I personally don't find anything "purer" about having annoying ergonomic things get in my way. To me the Fujis are a much better marriage of old and new, with a very sensible, practical approach to controls, ergonomics, and styling.

And the price... oof. If the Df lived in a vacuum, it might be a more compelling camera--but you can have an (IMHO) vastly superior D800 for nearly the same price and without all the frippery. Want a "pure" photographic experience? Use an old manual focus Nikon lens on the D800 and shoot it in M. Better yet, do the same on a D200, and you'll have an ISO range that more closely resembles film! :LOL:

I have the CR-Z (UK spec) and it does everything it is supposed to so not sure why you are criticising it, 0-60 in 8.5 sec, 125mph top end, 48-50mpg and in the UK £20 a year road tax, the 3 settings of driving (economy / normal / sport)work very well and offer fun and performance/handling levels to suit driver and conditions - great car that is comfortable, safe, economical and looks good - no contest!

Back on topic though, I parted company with my full frame Nikon kit over a year ago as I wanted a smaller, lighter kit to carry so as good as the Df professes to be, it is still a big camera that requires heavy lenses and a big heavy bag to carry the kit in.

I now use Oly Mu43 kit for equivalent of DSLR shooting and the X100s (just upgraded from X100) for street and easy carry work so would not consider going back to full frame (I also have some amazing A2 images printed from my Mu43 kit).

I think Nikon are losing customers big time and struggling to play catch up via their version of retro.

I have the CR-Z (UK spec) and it does everything it is supposed to so not sure why you are criticising it, 0-60 in 8.5 sec, 125mph top end, 48-50mpg and in the UK £20 a year road tax, the 3 settings of driving (economy / normal / sport)work very well and offer fun and performance/handling levels to suit driver and conditions - great car that is comfortable, safe, economical and looks good - no contest!

Because I live in the US, where the mpg of the CR-Z is 36-39 mpg, which is better, but not hugely better, than my Honda Fit. And I was just using the CR-Z as an analogy, not criticizing it, per se--I love the way it looks and I love Hondas (have owned one ever since I started driving twenty years ago), but it was poorly marketed by Honda in the US, and it is a bit of a Chimera in that it tries to do all things, but ends up doing none of them really well. I would love it if the US CR-Z got fifty mpg or delivered on the other CRX promise of ~7 second 0-60. As is, though, it's just kind of somewhere in between.

Similarly, nowhere did I say that the Nikon Df was a BAD camera--the sensor is one of the best on the market, and in a much more palatable package than a D4 for most. Some folks will like the dials, that's ok. But for a company that prides itself for, and has built a reputation for, professional products for professional photographers, putting something on the market that is to a large degree a cosmetic play (remember, IMHO, of course) is disappointing. And if they were going to do it, at least they could have done it right--i.e, not had a shutter dial that is potentially lying to you.

The beauty is that we have choice, and that we have opinions. No one is obligated to make the same choices as me nor have the same opinions, but forums are, by definition, gathering places for discussion and debate.

Also, since last I looked, the CR-Z apparently has been fitted with a more powerful engine in the US, likely a response to initial comments like my own..... Just saying you are creating a marketing problem for yourself when you position something in your lineup that doesn't really fit that well... The Fit is cheap, efficient, and incredibly useful/configurable for cargo. In comparison, the CR-Z gets slightly better gas mileage, but is slower, more expensive, and loses two seats. Sure, the CR-Z is arguably a better looking car, but by now you should know where I weigh in on the looks vs. performance spectrum.

In other words, don't get your panties in a bunch because everything that works for you doesn't necessarily work for me.

PS: After looking at the UK-spec CR-Z, I WANT ONE!! Not sure why ours does so much poorer with fuel economy.

PS: After looking at the UK-spec CR-Z, I WANT ONE!! Not sure why ours does so much poorer with fuel economy.

As you said, in all material things it is a case of "Horses for courses" , at least 2 seats stops me being a taxi service and we are lucky with the UK spec, one of the guys at work has one and he gets a consistent 50+mpg and spends most of his time in Sport mode so do not know what he is doing as he claims he is not a slow driver!

Not getting my "panties in a bunch" wear boxers :)

Back