Nikon Nikon Homecoming

Name
Tim Williams
After a long look at getting back to my Nikon roots, I think the Df is where I will land latter this year. The cameras dials and controls suit me now that I am using Fuji full time. Fuji XT3 will remain my main platform but I have too many Nikon legacy lens and I really miss the experience of shooting my D700. Just need to pick up a 35 f2D again and a long lens. I have everything else. Looks like a love hate relationship with the Df from what I read, that means I should love it.

I shot Nikon for years, I gave my daughter my d7200 kit and held onto my D700 FF stuff for a good while. I can still pick hers up and shoot like yesterday. The Df is the camera that intrigues me. I think it will be fun, plus I have the lens.

I have got to get a Fuji 56 first. Made my mind up to rent long lens as I need them. I can buy 300 f4 Nikon for 300.00 put a 1.4 on it and it's long enough. Not a fast focus lens but that's ok with me. I wont be shooting action.

Hello y'all. You probably know me from every other forum here because I've had every other camera and probably the even ones. Recently traded in my relatively new Fuji X-H1 and a couple stellar, fast primes for a black Df. It's taken me tens of thousands of pictures and as most likely dollars to arrive at this stage in my photographic life. Everything boils down to this, inspiration and image quality, I don't care how I get there, it's gotta be great IQ and I have to wanna shoot. I just knew the time and price was right and that being said, this is the only Nikon I would ever own. Probably sounds familiar.

Ray Sachs, the wonderful, thoughtful and occasionally eclectic photographer who I first 'met' here, was both a serious DF user and, in his own philosphical way, a great spokesperson for its many virtues. Looking at his DF photos really made me want one years ago and I think I still would have that itch...if I hadn't scratched it, in a different way, recently, by buying a Pentax KP. Which, in many ways, is Pentax's semi-eclectic and smaller version of a Df. Although, there is something about the photographs certain fine photographers have produced with their Df's...which still makes me think that one day...

The only other camera in recent history that I saw whose files and images seemed to match the Df's was, surprisingly, Sony's fixed lens compact, the Rx1.

Maybe I'll have to buy both, one of these days, when that lottery ticket I've been hanging onto, pays off. But in the interim period...the KP is rather fun.

The Nikon Df pre-release 'hype' was what gave me the itch that I eventually scratched with Fuji X.

I still have a bunch of Nikon manual lenses about that don't get any use but which I am loathe to sell, and occasionally I am tempted to get a Df - but the lack of focusing aid holds me back. I think if I do get a new Nikon it is more likely to be one of the film SLRs (FM, FM2 etc.) as I plan to shoot some black and white film at some point.

I look forward to seeing your Df pictures @Tim Williams

Love my new, old Df! These are available light with the 85mm 1.4D
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back