Nikon J3 deal

wojconner

Regular
Name
Woj
Just thought I'd pass this along since I'm in my testing GAS stage and just bought one. It's for a refurbished J3 in black. Last time it was in white and sold out by the time I checked the site. I'm figuring it's a relatively safe purchase in the sense that if I really don't like the camera, it's only 179.00 and I'll be able to sell it on the auction site of choice. Here's the link

Deal of the day: refurbished Nikon 1 J3 camera with 10-30mm VR lens for $179 - Nikon Rumors

Cheers,

Woj

You know, maybe it was, but for that price, you actually got one hell of a camera. My only reservation would be that the standard zoom is a bit on the weak side - whereas the 18.5mm is a great little lens :rolleyes:

However, don't follow that hint, or you will have spent too much money for sure :D

M.

I really like the Nikon 1 series. I like the 18.5 lens. I'm sure I'd like the 32 and the 70-300 but the thing that drives me absolutely crazy is not having manual focus on the lenses. Instead, its a messy fiddling with something in the menus and then playing with the rocker switch on the rear of the device.... probably different method with later models than the first, but god its a pest. That said, its the fastest focussing camera I have so I havent sold either of them on

I fully agree - if you don't follow the handling paradigm but want to try something more sophisticated than Nikon wants you to, you end up in a mess of half-baked semi-solutions. That's why I take my V1 as it is: aperture priority, AF (single point single shot, with recompose), NL (neutral) profile for good to bearable light, MC (monochrome) for low light or atmospheric stuff. It's a very handy camera set up this way, and the results are remarkable.

What I find very irritating is the fact that even when using spot metering (my default setup with every camera except on DSLRs), live view still shows evaluative metering results (Matrix in Nikon speak). WT* ... And neither way of metering is reliable for backlit subjects without exposure compensation, either, whereas I manage to do a quick helpful spot readout (with AEL) on my mFTs almost every time in order to get a balanced frame. For grab shots or street, Matrix is your friend anyway, so not much of a problem there - but it'd be nice to have useful spot metering, too (not that it doesn't work - it does, it's just not that helpful most of the time).

But other than that, the V1 delivers - speed, accuracy, colour, you name it. The RAW files offer a surprising amount of latitude, but even the OOC JPEGs are very nice.

M.

I'm sure I'd like the 32 and the 70-300 but the thing that drives me absolutely crazy is not having manual focus on the lenses. Instead, its a messy fiddling with something in the menus and then playing with the rocker switch on the rear of the device....

At least the 32mm owns an electronic AF ring.

I found the 32mm a little annoying because the manual focus ring was always enabled, even the slightest touch would engage it wether you wanted it or not, and I couldn't find a way of turning it off.

I've heard/read this another place, too (perhaps you had mentioned this in another forum :) ).
For me I don't use it on the 32mm and I've rarely activated it unintentionally, because my grip to hold the camera is before this ring.

Back