Nikon Showcase Nikon manual focus lenses

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Name
John
E-series 100mm F2.8
100e-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Wow. That 18mm looks pretty darn impressive.

Chris,

It's not bad at all. Vignettes like crazy at f/3.5, but is fine above f/8. And being a 'dumb' lens with no contacts, you get no automatic software correction. But if you don't mind a little futzing in post, its just fine. Especially if you can find it cheap, like I did.

And I know I am shallow, but it looks great on the Df. Gratuitous photo below.

Russ

OM113665_Nik_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

It's not bad at all. Vignettes like crazy at f/3.5, but is fine above f/8. And being a 'dumb' lens with no contacts, you get no automatic software correction. But if you don't mind a little futzing in post, its just fine. Especially if you can find it cheap, like I did.

And I know I am shallow, but it looks great on the Df. Gratuitous photo below.

Russ

View attachment 346688
It would look great on my Df too Russ!

A little vignetting is easy enough to fix, but otherwise that’s the beauty of a dumb lens - This was designed for film…it’s as optically correct as Nikon could have made it. The samples I’ve been looking at all have wonderfully straight lines at the edges, and it’s pretty impressive.

Although I have champagne taste, my beer budget will probably mean I go with the 20mm 3.5 ai-s. But it’s nice to dream!

I gave it to my nephew, don't know if he even has it now.
I've read the 55's were developed as document reproduction lenses so I can see why they'd be overly sharp. I don't mind that at all. I will admit they have had me second guessing some of my other lenses for their sharpness which is unfair to them.

I find it really interesting to see, up close and personal, how some of the lettering etc is done on camera equipment etc.
I gave my 55 3.5 away when I got my 2.8. Hind sight says I probably shoulda kept it.
I bought my 55 3.5 new years ago to put on my F2S. I remember trying out the 2.8 and decided I liked the 3.5 better. Still do. Definitely my favorite “normal” lens. Nothing else feels so good and smooth focusing to me as well.

I bought both of mine used off the Goodwill auction site. I couldn't believe how nice the 2.8 was condition wise when I got it. It looks like a new lens. There is something to be said for the old, fluted barrel lenses when it comes to feel though. My 24mm's are an example of that.
DSC07285 (2).JPG

I couldn't believe someone would donate this lens. No cleaning required at all.

I bought both of mine used off the Goodwill auction site. I couldn't believe how nice the 2.8 was condition wise when I got it. It looks like a new lens. There is something to be said for the old, fluted barrel lenses when it comes to feel though. My 24mm's are an example of that.
View attachment 358255
This is a fabulous lens! Enjoy it.

It's a beauty.
View attachment 358255

Recently CLA'd by seller. Focus is smooth and damped.
DSCF1101.jpg

Back