Nikon Showcase Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f2.8D

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
Another ''As-Is condition'' lens. Very good mechanically - bad optically! Scratched rear element, hazy doublet achromat element. The lens was barely usable, especially in direct sunlight.. After several days of trying, I managed to clean the haze, so the lens performs much better. I would say it's 8.5/10 now. As for the image quality, and my general impressions about the 20mm f2.8D - I would say I'm neither impressed nor terribly disappointed by the image quality! It is sharp in the center - not sharp in the corners. Pretty much in line with what the online reviews reported.

_DSC4820.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC4608-Edit.jpg

_DSC4581.jpg

_DSC4555.jpg

_DSC4404.jpg

_DSC4024.jpg

_DSC3779-Edit.jpg

_DSC3640.jpg

_DSC3143.jpg

_DSC2980.jpg

_DSC2896-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
The full-frame sensor would bring out problems in edge-to-edge performance. The 1.5 crop sensor gets the center of the image circle, should do better. I'm wondering if the rear group on yours is causing some issues.

The full-frame sensor would bring out problems in edge-to-edge performance. The 1.5 crop sensor gets the center of the image circle, should do better. I'm wondering if the rear group on yours is causing some issues.

Could be.. I was doing some tests on nearby objects, and, at f4 - the center is sharp. Even at f2.8 - image quality is acceptable. Corners - never as sharp as the center of the image!

Another ''As-Is condition'' lens. Very good mechanically - bad optically! Scratched rear element, hazy doublet achromat element. The lens was barely usable, especially in direct sunlight.. After several days of trying, I managed to clean the haze, so the lens performs much better. I would say it's 8.5/10 now. As for the image quality, and my general impressions about the 20mm f2.8D - I would say I'm neither impressed nor terribly disappointed by the image quality! It is sharp in the center - not sharp in the corners. Pretty much in line with what the online reviews reported.

View attachment 289205

View attachment 289206
View attachment 289207

View attachment 289208

View attachment 289209

View attachment 289210

View attachment 289211

View attachment 289212

View attachment 289213

View attachment 289214

View attachment 289216
:2thumbs:By recognizing it's known limitations and problems, it is very obviously usable and can still produce very nice images. You have proven that well.

Back