Fuji Nikon or Canon for a wireless flash trigger?

Jim Hildebrand

I’m planning to buy both a x20 and x100s. I want to use a wireless flash trigger with the cameras. Being new to fuji cameras, I would like to know which to buy Nikon or Canon?

That's sort of an irrelevant question since both the Nikon and Canon types of triggers won't work in TTL mode since Fuji uses a different standard for TTL communication.

For example, I have the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 triggers for my Nikon DSLRs and flashes, but if I want to use them with my Fujifilm X10 I have to set the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 to "Basic Trigger Mode" and then set the exposure for the off-camera flashes manually.

You could also use the Canon version of the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 in the same way (Basic trigger mode) ... but you're just using a wireless triggering system for manual flashes at that point ... so you would be better off buying less expensive triggers instead of buying TTL dedicated triggers that will only work in Basic mode.

Mmm, neither? Both systems are proprietary and won't work with Fuji. There are plenty of great third party options though, to accommodate virtually any budget from less than $100 to over $500. However, as far as I know, you would be working strictly with manual flash exposures as Fuji does not offer any kind of wireless TTL (to my knowledge, at least).

... you would be working strictly with manual flash exposures as Fuji does not offer any kind of wireless TTL (to my knowledge, at least).

That is true, but your could do "wired" off-camera TTL like we used to do back before wireless TTL was available. Fuji doesn't offer a dedicated off-camera cord but there are several companies that offer "universal" TTL cords so you can mount the Fuji TTL flashes off camera.

Still, I'd rather use basic (manual) wireless trigger -- despite the fact that you have to adjust the flash output manually with wireless triggers -- rather than mess with long TTL cords.

Back