1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon P1000

Discussion in 'Superzoom Salon' started by kyteflyer, Jul 15, 2018.

1. MortyCapp

MortyCapp Regular

May 6, 2017
    I want one.

2. Maybe when the price comes down a bit. And a tripod.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Emeritus

Jul 3, 2010
    3000mm optical zoom :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: 

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Emeritus

Jul 3, 2010
    Sample image from Nikon:

thumbnailImage.png

j/k :D 

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Yeah, that short link was supposed to do the same as yours. It didnt. Annoying. I took a screenie instead.

4E867466-CB80-4EED-8B25-78D50A7AE072.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    The top view is nuts. I want the FF version. :eek-54:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BrianS

BrianS Super Moderator Moderators Team

Apr 3, 2013
    I just realized that a 1/2.3" sensor is about the same image area of my old Super-8 movie camera that I used "long ago". It had a 6:1 zoom, and is even bigger than this camera. In today's dollars, my GAF 805 Sounds-movie 8 is at least as expensive.

If it looked like a Yashica SU-60E, I'd probably buy one.

8. Nikon P1000:laugh1: :sorry: I really meant ..... :rofl:

9. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Nobody can accuse Nikon of not taking risks. The engineering that went into the P1000 had to be impressive. LensRentals indicates the P900 will be available 7/25; wonder how long it will take them to get the P1000? It's not for me, but it might be interesting to rent just to see what it's like to use.

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'd like to trade half the optical zoom for double the sensor size.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    That would be an interesting camera. I'm betting it would still be about the size of the P1000. Imagine that lens if it was an f/2.8-4.

PS: Do you find this P1000 video a bit unnerving? I wonder how long it would take the lion to cover the distance from the tree to the camera? :eek-54:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Some current camera data points:

Panasonic’s FZ80 (aka FZ82) delivers not quite 1/2 the range with the same sensor size. It’s also 1/2 the weight and 1/3 the price.

Canon G3X has a much bigger 1" sensor, 1/2 the weight, but at 600mm only 1/5 the range. That's the longest range you can get in a 1" sensor fixed lens camera.

Some random information:

According to dpreview's camera feature search, this is Nikon’s first fixed lens camera with RAW capability since early 2014.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    The Sony HX400V is 1/2 the weight (1.5 lbs, approx), 40% the price, and delivers 1200mm e, plus more with digital zoom. No raw, though.

Cheers, Jock

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That video is something else....you go from not even SEEING the lion to having his head fill the screen.

I think it the ultimate safari camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. It has RAW? Change of mind. Sold. I'll lug a tripod. I need to get closer to the birds.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I assume the photographer is in a vehicle of some kind. I went on a safari once, and the lions were right next to the van. It does really illustrate that zoom range. I mean, seriously, how many of us really think in focal lengths over 800 mm?

To go off topic for a minute, it was a wild experience. The lions were clearly using our vans as cover to get closer to the Thompson gazelles. They suddenly shot out from between the vans and caught the gazelles who were blocked on one side by a river. It was clearly a well practiced collaboration between the lions who wanted a kill and the tourists/vans who wanted to see a kill.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1