Nikon Nikon P1000

I'm honestly intrigued by this camera. Once they get one local, I'm going to demand they allow me to rent it!! I've just got to know what 24-3000mm feels and shoots like.
You can now get a cheaper ($500) P900 that only goes to 2000mm. That would be fun with which to play. (Boy, does that sentence sound stupid.)

Last edited:
Of course, I went looking at that P900 yesterday.

"a little soft" on the long end. I'd really like to know what the 3 year difference in sensor and processing engine upgrades would show the IQ difference to be. That P900 didn't look so hot once you go past ISO400....there's only so much you can do with these small sensors.

"a little soft" on the long end. I'd really like to know what the 3 year difference in sensor and processing engine upgrades would show the IQ difference to be. That P900 didn't look so hot once you go past ISO400....there's only so much you can do with these small sensors.

I had the P900 for a while and found that there was a yellowish cast to the jpegs that would require some post processing for virtually every shot to remove. So I did not keep it. The reach, however, was undeniably impressive.

check this out: A trip to the land of astonishment – initial impressions of the Nikon P900

Cheers, Jock

It depends on what you expect of them. My P610 is a year older again and I am not going to claim that its as good as a larger sensor camera but it does a fine job even at ISO400 (which I do try to avoid when when not in the mood for fiddling, I use auto modes).

The following was at ISO450. Massaged and cropped in post, with minimal noise reduction.

97A44813-625C-4B8B-9626-0889BDFF06C2.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd never reject a camera because its no good at high ISO.

Common sense would indicate that the P900 goes far enough. But I think the P1000 is calling me.

But September is so far away.

Maybe look for a used P900 and run with it for a couple months and decide if I want to pay an extra $500 for a small sensor UBERzoom

and now I need to know the differences between the rx10 models. I had a v.1 that I liked OK, but I see it has been STRETCHED out to 600mm now. I don't really need more than that...and I like the fast aperture and bigger sensor.

so many decisions

Rx10 iii/iv (600mm zoom) has the same stacked sensor from Rx100 iv-v-vi & A9 eg no rolling shutter with fast sensor readout, but the latest Rx10 iv & rx100 v-vi have the pdf sensors which makes it a good sports/bif camera. Compared to RX10 ii, III & IV have faster af. They should have updated the RX10 200mm version also like they did with RX100.

and now I need to know the differences between the rx10 models. I had a v.1 that I liked OK, but I see it has been STRETCHED out to 600mm now. I don't really need more than that...and I like the fast aperture and bigger sensor.

so many decisions

Back