Nikon Nikon P1000

Common sense would indicate that the P900 goes far enough. But I think the P1000 is calling me.

But September is so far away.

Maybe look for a used P900 and run with it for a couple months and decide if I want to pay an extra $500 for a small sensor UBERzoom

I could make do easily with a P900, a friend has one and I have played with it. I wouldnt mind having the extra reach to get closer to those birds.

On the matter of the RX10 models, the price of the P1000 is getting up there, and to be absolutely honest, I'd rather have the larger sensor, and arent the RX models environmentally sealed?

Nikon zooms are a bargain and lightweight compared to the Canon 86x zoom :) Broadcast cameras also use a 2/3-inch sensor (same as Nikons).

1/2.3 is what the Nikon superzooms use. This is not the same as 2/3. It has less than half the area, 6.17 x 4.55 mm vs. 8.8 x 6.6 mm.

Nikon P1000 specs, showing sensor size:
Nikon Coolpix P1000: Digital Photography Review

Very few still cameras have been made with a 2/3" sensor. Fuji made a few recently, but my favorite is the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which is quite a bit older.
Nikon Coolpix 8400: Digital Photography Review

Interesting first impressions review at dpreview:
Nikon Coolpix P1000 First impressions review
A lot of the stuff he mentions (weight, size, loss of quality at the long end) is why I have definitely decided NOT to get one. I'm still considering the P900 for birding, although my FZ1000 and P610 have been and will continue to be absolutely OK. Took a look at the Flickr P1000 posts and to be honest... not that impressed.

I'm still considering the P900 for birding, although my FZ1000 and P610 have been and will continue to be absolutely OK.

Given the size and weight of the P1000, I think one would be better off with a micro four-thirds camera with the 100-300 or 100-400mm lens on it - even if cropping. But I can also see picking up a P900 if it goes on sale.

Given the size and weight of the P1000, I think one would be better off with a micro four-thirds camera with the 100-300 or 100-400mm lens on it - even if cropping. But I can also see picking up a P900 if it goes on sale.

I have owned the P900 and there was a yellowish cast in many of the jpgs that I found unacceptable.

If you want a superzoom, I would highly recommend the Sony HX400V . . . 1200mm e and digital zoom after that and really good stabilization. And really punchy images. Just saying . . .

Cheers, Jock

Given the cost of the P1000 over here, I certainly see your point, but I still could not get MFT + long lens for the same price, or even close to it... but in any case, I'm just not interested any more. P900 I can get for around $600AUD (prices vary depending on where you buy, of course).

I have owned the P900 and there was a yellowish cast in many of the jpgs that I found unacceptable.

If you want a superzoom, I would highly recommend the Sony HX400V . . . 1200mm e and digital zoom after that and really good stabilization. And really punchy images. Just saying . . .

Cheers, Jock
Jock I already have 2 superzooms, the FZ1000, and my Nikon P610, which as far as I can see is not significantly worse than the Sony. So I shan't be switching anytime soon. Sorry.

Back