Nikon Nikon P7700 announced and previewed

P7100 is, from what I've read, a fine camera. If you can get it for a good price, and it does all the things you're looking for in a camera, then sure, go for it!
Waiting a while for the P7700 prices to drop: I have no idea how quickly Nikon prices usually drop, but if you can afford to wait a while, that's always a good idea. With the P7100 you have a very capable camera in your hand, so there's no rush... and who knows what else might be released in the mean time ;)

P7100 is, from what I've read, a fine camera. If you can get it for a good price, and it does all the things you're looking for in a camera, then sure, go for it!
Waiting a while for the P7700 prices to drop: I have no idea how quickly Nikon prices usually drop, but if you can afford to wait a while, that's always a good idea. With the P7100 you have a very capable camera in your hand, so there's no rush... and who knows what else might be released in the mean time ;)

That what I was thinking and it seems a good idea to me. From what I'm reading the major upgrade, apart the sensor, is in the video section and zoom aperture, but I don't maks much video and can live with a slightly smaller aperture. From my uncerstanding the IQ is improved but not by all that much, so the 7100 should be a good choice for now. As you say in the future who knows?

I didn't pay much attention to this camera as I have been looking at the Panasonic LX7 since its announcement. However, I think the 200mm on the P7700 will be more useful to me than the 24mm on the LX7. The sample images look very good. There are several examples on Nikon Europe's flickr: Nikon COOLPIX P7700 - a set on Flickr

Sadly, they don't provide original image sizes, but original sizes of some can be found at Nikon's official website: Nikon | Imaging Products | Sample Images - COOLPIX P7700

If I end up with the P7700 instead of the LX7, this will be the third time I have strongly considered the LX series and chose something else. Previously, I went with the Sigma DP1 and the Canon S95 instead of the LX3 and LX5, respectively. Perhaps yet another LX camera gets away.

This is another camera that I would consider buying, from the specs it looks to be very well equipped and with a screw thread on the lens to enable fitting of filters, so no need for an adaptor, like some other cameras in this group.

I can't wait to find local UK retailer who will stock the LX7, RX100, EX2F, P7700, XZ2-iHS, so that I can compare them directly and hopefully make a decision on which one to go for that suits me, how I use them and my style of taking photographs.

Just got some info from Nikon UK's customer service dept,

The filter thread is 40.5mm dia, and the P7700 can use both infra-red ( ML-L3 ) and wired remote shutter releases ( MC-DC2) both of which are Nikon accessories.

Hope this helps anyone interested.

If the 7700 had some sort of viewer (either optical or electronic), I would have one on order now. On paper, the LX-7 probably appeals more to me, but with the disastrous experience I had getting my LX-3 repaired, I won't buy anything else by Panasonic. Pity, because I generally like their products very well.

But a viewfinder is a major feature to me. I tried and mostly liked both the Fuji X10 and Nikon V1, but returned both. Fuji had orbs and other problems, but was a really nice lens and body. The V1 was mostly appealing, but somehow it just never clicked with me. I think a built-in flash might have made me keep it, but $160 for a small, weak add on just turned me off. Since I'm looking for a P&S, a built-in flash is also an essential component, for me.

Rich

Back