Nikon Nikon teaser video for a new MILC...

The system will be interesting. Nikon did the Nikon 1 right, except for the sensor size. It seems to me there is enough interest in an alternative to Sony, and if Canon continues it's half-hearted attempts, Nikon could make a splash.

I could see them pulling interest from Fuji, Sony and Canon.

Ad, what are you shooting with these days? Sorry didn’t notice your gear list. :blush:
No problem :). Sony full-frame it is, with the A7R2 as my main camera. These days I mainly use legacy lenses at home with my table-top studio, mainly bellows units with bellows or enlarger lenses, and occasionally a Pentax K 3.5/28 outdoors because there's no native 28mm prime I like. When going out I strongly prefer native E-mount lenses, using manual focus when I can and autofocus when I have to.

I'm basically a one-system guy, I never used two systems alongside each other for any extended period of time, always ending up with selling off one of the systems.

[devils advocate] Remember the DL series. Remember the Nikon 1 Series. Abandoned. [/devils advocate]
Those events make me believe that there is conflict within Nikon. I think there are people at the top who are old and stuck in the film era. For them, SLRs were good enough then, and DSLRs are good enough now. Once in a while they let the younger guys win - for a while.
This time, the old guard might be scared enough of Sony to truly support the new system. Still, they have veto power, and they will get the last word in. I predict the new system will ship with lots of old film guy features, and not enough new phone people features.

I am an old film guy, but love the new phone influences. Will be rooting for Nikon since they are primarily a ‘camera’ firm. Unlike Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, etc...

Those events make me believe that there is conflict within Nikon. I think there are people at the top who are old and stuck in the film era. For them, SLRs were good enough then, and DSLRs are good enough now. Once in a while they let the younger guys win - for a while.
This time, the old guard might be scared enough of Sony to truly support the new system. Still, they have veto power, and they will get the last word in. I predict the new system will ship with lots of old film guy features, and not enough new phone people features.
Old film guys vs. new phone guys. That’s a nice way of putting it.

I sure hope your wrong but we'll see shortly.
I don't have any inside information. I'm just second guessing in my own way, rather than saying, "I think they should..." or "I wish they would..."
I am an old film guy, but love the new phone influences. Will be rooting for Nikon since they are primarily a ‘camera’ firm. Unlike Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, etc...
Emotionally I like Nikon cameras and want them to do well. I don't give this kind of time or attention to unreleased cameras from other brands.

So, apparently they will still be an ugly black plastic blob.....just like the DSLR....only smaller.

I don't mind it, if you think of it as a tool, rather than a work of Art. Nikon has a pro base and a reputation for functional. Pretty cameras are the realm of Fuji.

The lens mount looks enormous.
It is. There is speculation if Nikon could fit an MF sensor in there.
It’s probably a great camera. If the AF is up to Nikon standards and the IBIS is good it should sell well. As for aesthetics, I tend to like angular more than rounded so these look better than the DSLRs.

Last edited:
Back