Nikon Nikon Telephoto AF Micro Nikkor 105mm F/2.8 D?

William Lewis

Hall of Famer
Name
William Lewis
Obviously this lens is optimised for Macro shooting but how good is it as a regular short tele? I'm thinking of adding a couple of more AF D lenses to my Nikon collection and while some (35/2, 50/1.4) are obvious, this length is not so much.

I'd be using it on both my N90s & D7100.

Thanks!

I've owned this lens for almost 30 years now; compared to more modern lenses, it's smaller, but only slightly lighter (there's a lot of metal and glass in there). Its AF is comparatively slow, albeit pretty reliable; furthermore, there's no VR. All this is to be expected: The lens was developed for cameras with an internal AF motoer and only one central AF spot, so all the modern gizmos tend to clash with its basic concept. Here it is side by side with its 60mm f/2.8G stable mate, another non-VR lens, albeit one with completely internal focusing (no visibly moving parts in operation):

Z60_4945.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More importantly, optically, this is a solid performer; it's not as mercilessly corrected as the latest and greatest lenses for Z mount (the Z 105mm f/2.8 S VR is spectacular in every way), but even at 100%, LoCA is very well corrected for such an old design even near its MFD, sharpness is very good, other aberrations are minimal, and all this holds true for the whole range (it's a macro lens, after all).

Anyhow, I just put it on my D750 (a camera that's only marginally bigger than the D7100) for a spell and must say that it's a nice fit and does commendably well in most respects; of course, it's a tad noisy and somewhat slow to operate, but this is a well thought-out and constructed lens with good haptics and optics to this day.

Z60_4946.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Would I recommend it? That's another matter - if size and price are important, it's a very good choice because its optics are nice and it certainly fits the bill. And yes, thanks to its focus limiter and compact size, it's also a good general purpose lens (short to medium tele, depending on crop factor). On the other hand, I much prefer the internally focusing lenses with internal AF motors (G and later); they're much easier and more pleasing to shoot with - however, the N90s will work with G lenses only in P and S modes (though program shift is easy), and the 105mm f/2.8D certainly has a lot going for it. Depending on price, it may even be considered a bargain.

All that said, I'd choose the 60mm f/2.8G over this lens every time - speed, accuracy, optics, handling, everything is better on the new lens, and it's even a bit more versatile (being a longish normal lens). On APS-C, it's a very nice portrait lens. So, YMMV.

May I add that if you're not specifically after a macro lens, the 85mm f/1.8D may be more interesting (and the 85mm f/1.8G is even better)?

M.

I know that the third-party lenses are much better now, just like zooms are much better now as well. But when I bought my first camera, a Canon AE-1 Program in 1983, only primes from the camera makers were worth the money. That habit is deeply ingrained in me now and I still don't like zooms or third-party lenses (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, etc) unless I get them dirt cheap second hand.

Thank you, for your time and answer though, I really do appreciate it.

The AF-D Micro-Nikkor 105/2.5 is better than the newer F-Mount AF-S lens. A friend at work bought the latter, was disappointed when using on her D850. I compared the two- is was obvious on my Df that the AF-D lens was sharper and has less chromatic aberration. The AF-D was designed in the film era, post-processing not an option. Apparently, Nikon Optical Engineers for the AF-S relied on digital post-processing to correct optical aberrations.

I have found that the three AF-D lenses I have are the best autofocus lenses I've owned. I'll get a small set of them, I think.

20, 28, 35, 50, 85 & 105 seems like the range for me, especially for use with N90S - that one's almost as good as the Canon T-90 I once had as a film SLR.

Back