Nikon Nikon to halt DSLR sales in favor of mirrorless?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
I've seen this in a few places today but they all seem to eventually end up citing the same source, Nikkei Asia. While I think this will eventually happen I can't find any 'official' sources of this from Nikon themselves plus I think the professional market isn't quite ready to make that jump yet.

Just another rumor is there any truth to it? 🤔 I am leaning to thinking this is a bit like an article saying "Ford plans to only produce electric vehicles" without giving any specific details and, while technically true because it is the direction most automakers are going, it isn't something Ford has actually announced yet and likely won't happen in the next several years.

What I heard is that they are not going to develop anything new, but will support the current DSLRs that they have like the D6. Makes sense, to me, that approach...but with the Z9 being what it is, I'm sure the Z9 Mark II or Mark III will have most people in that demographic happy to leave the DSLR behind.

I'll appreciate it because the value on those DSLRs will drop and make them more affordable to people like me.

Isn't the D780 essentially a Z6 in a DSLR body already? Me, I have all this F mount glass so a Z isn't much help but, presuming I could afford it, the D750/D780 bodies would be more useful. But I'll bet they're selling far more Z's than D's these days.

It was going to happen, sooner or later. I'm waiting for Canon to make the same announcement.
And it is not just Nikon. Also the 3rd party lens guys. Tamron has discontinued several dSLR lenses, with NO replacement. I had buy a used Tamron lens from KEH for my school.

Every few months Nikon announces another body or two and several f mount lenses that have been discontinued. I wonder how much of the timeline of these announcements are simply a product of inventory running out. It may take some time for the D6, D850, and D780 to be discontinued, but I think it is a matter of time.

It's a tough position for them to be in, needing to move resources to development and production of mirrorless cameras will have to mean resources taken away from their DSLRs.

If they can hang in there and make a good transition I think that Nikon's mirrorless future can be awesome. Their z lenses are fantastic and the Z9 is amazing. Hopefully it won't take too long for the Z9 tech to make it into more consumer bodies.

I wonder how many 50mm F1.2 and 58mm F0.95 Z-Mount lenses they have sold. The size of these lenses - insane. Prices- even more insane.
One of the reasons I have no real interest in the Z cameras is the fact that even the F/2.8 primes are way oversized for what they are . The 50/2.8 prime is ridiculous (ok, it does macro, still too big) and the faster lenses are obscenely huge. That .95 you mention is 4x6 inches and almost 4.5 lbs! For $8,000 I'll get a M10 thankyouverymuch.

One of the reasons I have no real interest in the Z cameras is the fact that even the F/2.8 primes are way oversized for what they are . The 50/2.8 prime is ridiculous (ok, it does macro, still too big) and the faster lenses are obscenely huge. That .95 you mention is 4x6 inches and almost 4.5 lbs! For $8,000 I'll get a M10 thankyouverymuch.
Well, thank you for telling me how huge those primes are - I hadn't noticed ... :rolleyes:

DSC_3411.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The D750 with 50mm f/1.8 AF is some 20% heavier than the Z 6 with 40mm f/2; the Z 40mm is the same size as the Z 28mm f/2.8 while the 50mm f/1.8 AF shares the size of the 28mm f/2.8 AF. That said, both combos fit into my EDC bag as shown.

The 40mm f/2 is only marginally bigger than the 50mm f/1.8 AF shown; it's lighter though (yes, also thanks to the plastic mount). I no long own the 50mm f/1.8G for reasons I touch on below, but it's clearly bigger than both. The old first-generation 50mm f/1.8 AF shown here has the same optics than the latest and last 50mm f/1.8D that *looked* smaller but wasn't. The Z 40mm is also optically way better, focuses closer and much, much faster; the 50mm f/1.8G is optically worse than the Z 40mm because abberations aren't as well corrected, and its wide open sharpness is reduced - yes, that's the case for the Z 40mm at f/2 as well, but it's way better behaved throughout (if you get a nice sample). For the record, I loved the 50mm f/1.8G when I owned it, but the Z 50mm f/1.8 S smoked it *and* outdid the Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 in one fell swoop - which made me sell both of them quite quickly. And even though it may not look that way, the combo with the Z 6 and the Z 50mm f/1.8 S is only marginally larger and still lighter than the D750 with 50mm f/1.8G!

Oh, and while everyone's whining about the "lack" of weather sealing on the 40mm f/2: Its rim fully overlaps the mount; direct ingress of water is hardly a problem. If you're not usually out when it's bucketing down, you're at least as well served as with only partially sealed lenses from other makers who only provide a seal at the mount for most of their smaller lenses (like Sony and Sigma). The 40mm is sealed throughout! No small feat, given the size ...

The only 28mm f/2.8 AF Nikon made is the same size as 50mm f/1.8 AF; I also still own it (for sentimental reasons, mostly): It' a fun, but mediocre lens with horribly wheezy mechanics. Which makes the Z 28mm f/2.8 - which is optically very nice and has very smooth AF - a much more desirable lens, with all the same advantages as the Z 40mm - and the Z 28mm focuses even closer! The Z 50mm f/2.8 is way smaller and also lighter than the 60mm f/2.8G, a lens I still own and love because it's a seriously nice performer - but again, optically, the Z 50mm f/2.8 is even better (sharper, way less CA). I like the 60mm f/2.8G internal focusing, though, and it pairs fantastically well with the D750.

I'd almost be able to agree on pricing. Not on size and usefulness, though. But in most cases, even prices are just what they are in today's market. If you compare with prices 30 years ago, well ... Time for a reality check, I'd say.

There's simply no need for Z bashing. Nikon finally made the right decision to put all their eggs in one basket and bet on a mirrorless future. I'll keep my D750, it's a marvellous camera. But apart from using it with cheaper long lenses than are available for the Z system at this point in time (excluding the DX 50-250mm here), there's simply nothing it does as well or better than the Z 6 for me, and the Z lenses alone make the switch worthwhile.

M.

I like your comparison there, but they do still feel big to me. Then I've gotten spoiled by the LTM glass I'm using so much and really quite tiny manual focus F primes on my D7100. You've gotten great results from your Z and that's the plus side of it.

Real world, I'll probably look for a gently used D610 as my next body.

I like your comparison there, but they do still feel big to me. Then I've gotten spoiled by the LTM glass I'm using so much and really quite tiny manual focus F primes on my D7100. You've gotten great results from your Z and that's the plus side of it.

Real world, I'll probably look for a gently used D610 as my next body.
I love me my M glass and LTM lenses - for the very same reasons: small, competent to brilliant and, of course, beautiful. And yes, the old 50mm f/1.8 pancake will look much smaller on the D750 than the AF version - but it's not in the same league optically (plus mine only focuses down to 0.6m), and the *combo* will still be almost as bulky as the Z 6/Z40mm setup while still being heavier ...

I'm just for comparing like with like. And the Z system is nice and compact *and* super comfortable to handle. And, again, those lenses are truely good ...

M.

they do still feel big to me. Then I've gotten spoiled by the LTM glass
I get it, love my RF and LTM glass and the only reason I got a used Z6 and sold my DSLR, which I miss btw, was to utilise its non DSLR focusing abilities with adapted legacy glass. Then, when I used one of Nikon's large looking native Z prime lenses, it instantly made sense. It's all about the lightweight balance of the camera and lens and in that regard it's perfect (prime lens that is; I haven't tried any of the zooms). It's surprising how the 'size' issue just washes away but its one of those things you've got to physically try for it to become apparent. The only thing is, for a non professional, it's just a bit weird using those optically perfect S line primes; because they're perfect it means the raw file you get is perfect, which means virtualy no foibles and the risk of an image which an LTM user may find boring. Great if you want a technically supreme pixel peeped 'corner to corner' image. But for an LTM user who doesn't necessarily desire digitally looking images, I'll be honest, it does take some getting used to.

Last edited:
Isn't the D780 essentially a Z6 in a DSLR body already? Me, I have all this F mount glass so a Z isn't much help but, presuming I could afford it, the D750/D780 bodies would be more useful. But I'll bet they're selling far more Z's than D's these days.

I think the FTZ adapter is sorely underrated. If the lenses you have are AF-S, then most likely they are going to work like they normally do on the Z body. If you want the advantages of mirrorless without the need to get all new lenses, then you have that bridge.

I’ve used the following f mount lenses with no issues.

Nikon OEMs
50/1.8G
70-300/4.5-5.6E AF-P
24-70/2.8G
300/4E PF
85/1.8G

Tamron 70-200 G2

I get it, love my RF and LTM glass and the only reason I got a used Z6 and sold my DSLR, which I miss btw, was to utilise its non DSLR focusing abilities with adapted legacy glass. Then, when I used one of Nikon's large looking native Z prime lenses, it instantly made sense. It's all about the lightweight balance of the camera and lens and in that regard it's perfect (prime lens that is; I haven't tried any of the zooms). It's surprising how the 'size' issue just washes away but its one of things you've got to physically try for it to become apparent. The only thing is, for a non professional, it's just a bit weird using those optically perfect S line primes; because they're perfect it means the raw file you get is perfect, which means virtualy no foibles and the risk of an image which an LTM user may find boring. Great if you want a technically supreme pixel peeped 'corner to corner' image. But for an LTM user who doesn't necessarily desire digitally looking images, I'll be honest, it does take some getting used to.

I completely understand this and agree. That is why I use post processing plugins for Lightroom like DxO filmpack 6 and nik analog efex.

I have the best of all worlds.
I can get those pixel perfect images, then run them through the “legacy mill” and have the effect I want.

That look is also a reason why I picked up a Fuji S2 Pro and a few f-mount lenses for it. Getting that SOOC vintage look is nice sometimes.
Also a reason I still like to shoot with old AI type lenses. There is character built into them that is attractive and fun.

Last edited:
Back