Nikon Showcase Nikon Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE)

Name
Matt
This lens ... is just great (for what it is). It's not the fastest, it's not the sturdiest, it's not the best Z lens - but it doesn't try to be all that, either. It's just a very good lens that does reliably well, whatever subject matter you throw at it.

If only Nikon had chosen to put it into a more confidence-inspiring shell (why only a plastic mount without sealing gasket?!) and use the real estate on the housing to give us more amble controls (two rings would fit the barrel, no problem), this would be an instant modern classic. As it is, it's "just" a truely pleasing, compact lens with really impressive optics.

Z60_2771.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

If only Nikon had chosen to put it into a more confidence-inspiring shell (why only a plastic mount without sealing gasket?!) and use the real estate on the housing to give us more amble controls (two rings would fit the barrel, no problem), this would be an instant modern classic.

It wouldn't be $300 then and would be too close in price to other lens offerings in similar focal lengths.

It wouldn't be $300 then and would be too close in price to other lens offerings in similar focal lengths.
Well, that depends - truth be told, for that kind of optical quality, I'd appreciate a more durable shell and would pay at least $100 without flinching ... I wouldn't say no to this lens if build quality was right and the price was $499, to be honest. But of course, that may be only me.

As it is, I'll just be careful when mounting and unmounting.

btw. The plastic of the outer housing extends *over* the mount - it's *kind of* sealed (not really, but close).

I'll order its 40mm sibling as soon as that's viable (pre-ordering now would mean paying a premium, but I think it'll be available for a reasonable price within ten days - as is customary in these parts ...).

M.

Nice Images and thanks for the comments on this lens. It’s interesting that the new 40mm Z lens has a rubber mount gasket, but this lens does not - though they’re at the exact same price point. Regardless, I‘ve pre-ordered the 40, and I look forward to getting my hands on one of these whenever any more come available.

It’s interesting that the new 40mm Z lens has a rubber mount gasket,
Could you point me to the source of that piece of information? As far as I know, the mounts of the 28mm and 40mm small primes are identical - both have *internal* sealing, but the mount is plastic, and the 28mm's mount doesn't have a gasket - instead, the casing overlaps the mount, like a gasket would, but it's obivously not as tight as rubber would be ...

Here's the official image - no sealing at the mount ...

nikkor_z_40mm_f2_sealing__Get_Original_.jpg

M.

Hmmm, interesting! The last sentence of the first paragraph in dpreview.com's announcement of the lens, states: "A rubber seal helps prevent dust and moisture from entering the camera when the Z 40mm F2 is mounted."

I (mistakenly, it's clear now) took that to mean a seal at the mount. But after you posted the above, I revisited Nikon USA's announcement of the lens, and they show the same graphic you posted, saying only "The lens barrel and all moving parts are designed carefully considering dust- and drip-resistant performance with sealing that prevents dust and water droplets from entering the lens." It doesn't specifically mention a gasket at the mount. And in fact the top-view pic they show of the lens clearly shows that there's not a mount seal either:

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.28.27 PM.png

So at first glance of the announcement I incorrectly interpreted "rubber seal" to mean gasket, and not sealing around the focus ring. I guess I find this approach rather strange on Nikon's part - I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble and expense to put sealing at the front and the control ring, why not also toss a gasket at the back? I guess when we're shooting in the rain, we can hope that all the water droplets bounce off the camera and land on the front of the lens, rather than running down the camera to the back of the lens.

Either way, thanks for clarifying, Matt!

I guess I find this approach rather strange on Nikon's part - I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble and expense to put sealing at the front and the control ring, why not also toss a gasket at the back?
Fully with you there - it'd've made those lenses so much more useful.

Anyhow, there's a small chance I'm wrong - I looked at the images again more closely, there seems to be a little "ring" (maybe just plastic seam?) at the mount end of the casing. We'll see - it would be great if it was a rubber ring, but I won't hold my breath.

I just looked at the corresponding images of the Z 35mm f/1.8 S - the seals at the mount are clearly and proudly shown. There simply not there on the 28mm and 40mm ... It is what it is - and let's not forget what Andrew pointed out: It's a $300 lens ... a price noticeably higher than the well regarded 35mm f/1.8 DX, though - a lens which *has* a metal mount and a weather-sealing gasket, though no internal seals. And I think Nikon believes the lens to be pretty usefully sealed at the mount - or the internal seals wouldn't make a lot of sense ... But I'll not risk any of my FX bodies to find out.

M.

Last edited:
All good points! I looked at the marketing images of the 50/1.8, as well, and just as with the 35 that mount gasket is clearly highlighted. Oh well, sorry to sidetrack from your 28 showcase with this discussion of the 40. I’ll try to contribute some images whenever I can get my hands on the 28 here.

Got to shoot quite a bit with this lens today. Wide open at f/2.8 it is nice and sharp. Compared to the Viltrox 24/1.8 - the nikon appears to have better corner performance. My tests so far have been on the Z fc, so if the corners are already better on DX, then I surmise that they will be even better on FX with the Nikon lens.

The Viltrox is no slouch and if you need to have 24mm and f/1.8 and do not want to spend the premium on the Nikon Z OEM lens - the Viltrox will do you well.
Going to give the Viltrox a few more days/week or so to compare and if the Nikon 28/2.8 keeps impressing me the Viltrox will go up for sale.

Here are some sample images from today.

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1884.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1886.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1887.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1891.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1899.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1901.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1926.jpg

12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1971.jpg

9 - the Z fc and the Z 28/2.8 tested against backlighting. I think it did a pretty good job here.
12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_1993-Softness.jpg

10 - checking close focusing
12-05-2021_xmas_tree_day_Zfc_DSC_2004.jpg

Back