Nikon Nikkor Z DX 12-28/3.5-5.6 PZ VR

Taneli

Veteran
Name
Daniel
A certain rumour says Nikon will announce this lens within a few days!!

A dream have come true :) I will pre-order it as soon as I can :) very great news (if it is true but I think so, it has been circulating lens release rumours a few days now and I think Nikon is best to push their own things before Tamron ceases all oportunity :) )

/edit: Got it and has some first impressions here: Post #10

Last edited:
They have changed one thing...

The Nikkor Z 12-28mm DX lens is now PZ

I assume this means "Power Zoom"?! Not so fond of that concept

The powerzoom thing had to be expected because this is most certainly thought to be a vlogger's companion (which won't stop me from using it for stills). After all, look at Sony's 10-20mm f/4 PZ. If it's as responsive and well executed as the old Nikon 1 10-30mm PZ, there's nothing to worry about operability.

What worries me more is that there's still no indication as to it having VR. Omitting that is the Sony's downfall IMO, and it would make me hesitate to get the Nikon.

Anyhow, it's an immensely useful focal range, and if it's optically sound (probably), small enough (check) and fixed aperture (we'll see), it's still very intriguing.

M.

Yes, this is a lens that should have been released together with the Z30.
Well, yes I could live with PZ for stills as long as it is good.
I think we can not say anything about VR yet. There is nothing that indicates either with or without. I would be chocked if it comes without VR. Considering the Z30 don't have IBIS it would be an unstabilised vlogging rig. That would be very bad.
Yes the focal range is wonderful. I think 12mm is just wide enough, don't want wider. And it goes to 28mm which is ~42mm eq, that is into "normal" focal range. Really great.

Even in the early days of the Z6 and the "film maker's kit" - Nikon leaned toward using a gimbal for video. I would not be surprised if Nikon omitted the VR on it, if it is meant for video as they would assume you'll be using a gimbal which, in many ways, is superior to hand held and lens VR.

To me, it would make sense to include the VR on the lens...hard to tell what Nikon will do.

My problem with Nikon has always been video. IMHO, when it comes to stills photography - there is no one that touches Nikon. From AF, to IQ, to ergonomics and menus.

They have never been a strong competitor in video and it just seems to me that they need to admit that and hire someone with videography chops to have some design and implementation say in the lineup. They need help in the independent film maker area most definitely. the Z mirrorless have been way better than anything they have done in the past, but still have some rough edges that keep them from being adopted by the masses.

Sony has a leg up with their long time experience in video production and commercial video gear. Canon has the experience from the past in their "guerrilla filmmaking" from the past.

They have changed one thing...

The Nikkor Z 12-28mm DX lens is now PZ

I assume this means "Power Zoom"?! Not so fond of that concept

ugh
Power zooms and I have NEVER gotten along on still cameras. From the early P&S to the Olympus m4/3.
But strangely, the power zoom on my father's super-8 was much more usable, for me.

And now it is announced!! Found a page with some sample photos also:

I did a mockup comparing the size to the 16-50 (extended) on the Z50:

Nikon Z DX 16-50 vs 12-28 copy.jpg

Looks good! I put a pre-order, they say it will start ship in may

ugh
Power zooms and I have NEVER gotten along on still cameras. From the early P&S to the Olympus m4/3.
But strangely, the power zoom on my father's super-8 was much more usable, for me.

I agree about power zooms, never really go along with them and one of the reasons I never considered a Panasonic LX 100, even though there was a lot to like about it.

I think a 12-28mm field of view for the Z fc would be great in native mount...but until I get a chance to actually experience this new lens, I'd still stick with an adapted 10-20 or 10-24 f-mount DX lens. Too bad I'm not into doing more video...

Got it today! It should have come last week but there was some trouble at local post. Anyway, have tried it a little tonight. It really is what I was hoping for. A compact and light UWA with good motor zoom* and seemingly good image quality also. Will have to evaluate that a little bit more before I sell my current UWA (the PL 8-18 for u43 which is amazing, but bigger/heavier).
(* more on that below, it is good)

20230523_181420.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20230523_181211.jpg20230523_181457.jpg20230523_181121.jpg

It is small, and weighs 200 g. Fits the Z50 really great.

The small focus ring is a little stiffer than on the other Z DX lenses I have, works the same way, when AF'ing and pulling ring MF takes over, good.

Zoom ring however, that is the big question. At a time I was worried there should be a zoom lever, luckily they went for a mimic of a mechanical zoom ring. The feeling is great, not stiff, smooth action. You actually don't notice the motor action except for a slight (slight!) rubber-band feeling, it is fast in response but not directly as a mechanical link. But that bothers not at all! It is fast, if you turn slow you can zoom slow with control and if you turn fast it is fast. It works really well, and completely silent also, even if you put your ear onto the lens you can't hear something except some "mechanical" sound that could be just any other lens zooming. There is however no limits. You can turn and turn. Like a fly-by-wire zoom ring (well, it is that also I assume). So you just have to get accustomed to that, otherwise no really difference to a mechical zoom ring in terms of usage.

Also there is the "typical" (as of now for the Z DX'es) plastic lens mount. I have no problem with that. The benefits are light weight and no scratching metal against metal. As you long as you keep areas clean I think it will hold up long enough so that "issue" is nothing of concern either.

One thing to notice also, the close limit is really close! In both ends! You have to watch out not to scratch your front element if you try shooting something really upclose.

Filter diameter is 67 mm compared to 62 mm for the 18-140/50-250.

Lens image stabilization is good, they claim 4,5 stops.

So, I am really happy this lens finally came and it seems to be just as good as the other Z DX'es (that is, really good! :) ). Time will tell how it performs in more demanding sceneries. I usually shoot landscape and architecture with these kind of lenses. Will be most interesting to have it on summer trips now!

Since I like comparison shots I have some here as well...

20230523_181838.jpg20230523_182143.jpg

Compared to the other Z DX'es and the Laowa cookie. Also compared to my current UWA, the PL 8-18.

Next post will be some random sample photos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Mine should arrive at my local camera store any day now. NPS stated it shipped, I figure it will most likely show up on 5/25.

This lens, the 16-50 and the 50-250 will make a very light travel setup for my Z fc.

Last edited:
Just watched a video of a guy telling alot of things I didn't know about it, there are for example some interesting features/settings for a PZ lens that could be good to know:

Just watched a video of a guy telling alot of things I didn't know about it, there are for example some interesting features/settings for a PZ lens that could be good to know:
Ricci is always worth a look if you're interested in Nikon, especially Z gear.

Following on from my little remark on the firmware of the Z 50, the Z fc's firmware has already been updated to integrate PZ functionality, and it's quite a nice addition - and it also works much better with the ML-L7 remote I also got. So, looking forward to the update for the Z 50 on that count.

Other than that, the Z 12-28mm DX PZ proves a really nice companion - together with the Z 18-140mm DX, you get a fantastically versatile travel kit; the superzoom is great for out-in-the-field and landscape work, the wide zoom does a great job in confinded spaces, and you can make it work for architecture as well as wide close-up work; the long end is really quite good for general photography, though I wouldn't want to use it for portraiture, it's just a tad short for that. Environmental portraiture will work a treat, though. Other than that, you can get spectacular lines and perspectives - it pays to keep that in mind; this lens behaves like a true super-wide at the short end, with all caveats that this entails.

The powerzoom many seem to be wary about will, in practice, not present you with any problems - in (standard) non-linear mode (for linear mode, you need the updated firmware), racking the zoom works extremely fast, faster in fact than I'd dare with any physical zoom. Slow zooming, on the other hand, is very smooth. Focus breathing is all but absent - this is indeed a video shooter's lens; I like the peace and quite of framing and then focusing or adjusting the framing before repositioning the focus point and refocusing with impunity.

Work against the light is decent, which is really important; if you get the lens the flare and ghost, it's a tad chaotic and somewhat ugly, but let's not forget what we're looking at here: An inexpensive powerzoom lens with stabilisation will come with some compromises. For me, the lens really hits the spot. It's not quite as endearing as the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 C I'm using via the Megadap ETZ-21, but it's at least as versatile, gets all the benefits of being a native lens, and its internal zoom, small size and weight and decent build alongside nice performance make it one of the most desirable Z DX lenses to date. It was more than worth the wait (I was thinking of going with the Sony 10-20mm f/4 for a while - glad I didn't!).

For everyday shooting, I still somewhat prefer the Z 18-140mm DX which is only marginally bigger but obviously offers more reach. But for street and urban shooting as well as a second lens for landscape, hiking, biking and travel, the Z 12-28mm DX PZ comes into its own. Crucially, I think I can now move on the Z 16-50mm DX kit lens - small as it is, I much prefer what I get from the new PZ lens, on all counts.

M.

OK, so after someone at the local camera store accidentally sold my copy of the 12-28, Nikon shipped out another one to me and I got it today.

The temps were too much for the doggos (95F/35C), so I did not get a chance to shoot with it - only a cursory mess about with it in the office.

My initial impressions:
  • small and light
  • As others have eluded - the power zoom responds well and I don't really notice it other than the fact that the 12-28 gives you a smooth transition between focal lengths.
  • The auto focus appears to be very quick and accurate
  • On the Z fc, it feels well balanced
  • I wish it came with a lens hood. I'm one of those that prefers lens hoods over UV filters to protect the front element of the lenses I use.
As Matt had mentioned, this would be a great companion lens to the 18-140 for an everyday kit. I do not have the Z 18-140, but like using the f-mount 18-140 and the 50-250. Now with the 12-28, if it has the IQ that I expect it will as most Z mount lenses do....I can have a compact travel kit in 3 lenses.

I might be able to get out tomorrow in the early afternoon to run it through some paces. Will share anything that is worthy.

A stroll and some snaps.

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6952-Edit.jpg

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6953.jpg

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6954.jpg

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6960-Edit.jpg

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6968-Edit.jpg

06-03-2023_gahanna_zfc_DSC_6970-Edit.jpg

My initial impression is that it is at least as good as the Z 16-50/3.5-5.6 VR lens in IQ.
Will need to practice with it for video next.

A stroll and some snaps.

View attachment 391852

View attachment 391853

View attachment 391854

View attachment 391855

View attachment 391856

View attachment 391857

My initial impression is that it is at least as good as the Z 16-50/3.5-5.6 VR lens in IQ.
Will need to practice with it for video next.

It looks good, Andrew. Those are very nice photos.

From its variable maximum aperture, I assume that it's a "kit lens" standard and price? I'm not familiar with the new mount lenses from any of the manufacturers.

Not that that in any way detracts from its performance. Some of my best ever photographs over 60+ years were taken with my entry level E-510 and its two humble kit lenses.

It's always good to see manufacturers putting decent optics into affordable lenses. More than just a few of the older kit lens level lenses were barely better than a Holga!

And don't even start me on some (most?) of the superzooms. The old FTs 18-180 and the new mFTs 12-200 warrant special mention as pretty crappy! The 18-180 was equally bad at all FLs and apertures ... The 12-200 just doesn't seem to get really sharp anywhere either.

Great photos Andrew!

As you have said, the 12-28 coupled with the 18-140 will be a great travel combo. Actually I tried that combo today on a city event, very great! You can use the 12-28 for most shots but when you need the reach just slam on the 18-140 and go with that. They overlap alot so not too lens changes. Will have these two on vacation trips this summer.

After the firmware update, the Z 50, like the Z 30 and Z fc before it, will support all powerzoom features - and useful they are, too :)

Definitely time to use my ML-L7 remote a lot more ...

EDIT: Two things:
  1. Just be aware that a zoom indicator will appear prominently at the bottom of your screen/EVF whenever you touch the zoom ring on a powerzoom - it'll vanish a little time after you finished zooming, but it caught me by surprise the first time around. To take full advantage of the useful focal length display, you have to switch to full information display, but even that won't make the indicator go away. It's something to get used to ...
  2. Note to self (and others): Always check the rest of your gear for compatibility after a major feature upgrade. The latest Z DX firmware upgrades broke compabitiblity with the Megadap ETZ21; thankfully, there actually is an upgrade from Megadap already. But it was quite a nasty shock to find one of my favourite "sleeper" lenses, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 C, was no longer working. I'm glad I thought about checking the adapter and for updates for it quite quickly - this would have turned into quite a sad day otherwise.
M.

Last edited:
Back