Nikon Showcase Nikon Z f/1.8 Primes

Name
Matt
For each camera system, there's always talk about a "Holy Trinity" of primes the existence of which can actually define that system. Well, Nikon has done a fabulous job providing a solid set of affordable (though not exactly cheap), sufficiently compact primes, all of which share a maximum aperture of f/1.8.

The next point is certainly subjective; some would argue that a "Trinity" consists of certain focal lengths. In the past, my setups always evolved around 35mm lenses. But most people would say that the core of any such set has to be a good normal lens, and we're certainly in luck when it comes to the Z system: The Z 50mm f/1.8 S is an unassuming lens, yet a fantastic performer. For what it delivers, it's small and really quite a bargain.

DSC_1533.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another easy choice is the - so far - only tele lens in the line-up, the Z 85mm f/1.8 S. Nikon has a history of producing very good 85mm f/1.8 primes, and this latest edition marks the pinnacle of that tradition.

DSC_1510.jpg

On the wide end, things get a bit more difficult because there's already a choice of three very good lenses. Luckily for me, I followed a hunch (and some reviewers I can usually trust) and invested in the Z 20mm f/1.8 S. While its two longer siblings deliver wonderful images, this was the lens that surprised me the most: It's a stunning performer - and that even extends to bokeh, something I certainly hadn't expected.

DSC_1517.jpg

All this means that for the first time, my favourite three-lens setup doesn't contain a 35mm lens ... Does this mean that the Z 35mm f/1.8 S (which I also own) is a bad lens? Not at all - it's just that its stable mates are even better! As a single-lens solution, I still prefer the Z 35mm f/1.8 S over the Z 50mm f/1.8 S, but only just (and I'm still hoping to see the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C in Z mount because I like that lens over both the Nikons, in spite of them being clearly better when it comes to their optical prowess). But whenever I have the time and leisure to take my Trinity along, it's now fully established.

I'm really happy about how things have turned out.

M.

Last edited:
Nice write up Matt and great to hear that you are happy with your recent additions. You’re not alone in your thoughts, as I’ve also read many positive things online regarding these S lenses.

Nikon obviously prioritized optics vs size, as although smallish vs 1.4 glass, they are on the larger size for 1.8 glass.

I’d love the go with Nikon, as I really like their ergonomics, but small size & lightweight is my priority, so Sony wins with all the options.

I do also think it would be really smart for Nikon to open their mount to 3rd party mfgs. I bet they’d sell a lot more Z5 and Z6 bodies if they had Sigma, Tamron, and Samyang options available to new users. And then you’d get your Sigma 45mm in Z-mount and be able to ditch your Sony. :)

I'll only believe that 20mm is better than the DSLR version if and when I use it. The 20mm F1.8G is stellar. It's the close focusing wide open which makes it quite remarkable and if you like starbursts, well, it's the best lens I've ever used for that. Possibly underrated because , well, you know, it's not sexy, is plastic and doesn't have a manual aperture ring. But the 20mm Z F1.8S has some big shoes to fill there.

Nice write up Matt and great to hear that you are happy with your recent additions. You’re not alone in your thoughts, as I’ve also read many positive things online regarding these S lenses.

Nikon obviously prioritized optics vs size, as although smallish vs 1.4 glass, they are on the larger size for 1.8 glass.

I’d love the go with Nikon, as I really like their ergonomics, but small size & lightweight is my priority, so Sony wins with all the options.

I do also think it would be really smart for Nikon to open their mount to 3rd party mfgs. I bet they’d sell a lot more Z5 and Z6 bodies if they had Sigma, Tamron, and Samyang options available to new users. And then you’d get your Sigma 45mm in Z-mount and be able to ditch your Sony. :)

The Z 6 is worlds better in the hand than any Sony I've handled to date, so the (only slightly!) bigger and heavier Z lenses don't bother me. Compare the Sony 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8 - they're not that much smaller than the current Nikon lenses, though some are clearly shorter. But of course, you're completely right about the "closed source" issue, and the small lenses *are* a treat on the Sony bodies (if only to make them more manageable than bigger ones do). That said, the Sony A7 II is still nice to handle with smaller lenses - so you're right there. I certainly hope Sigma (and others) succeed, but failing that, Nikon has to release their small primes soon.

Matt. the images you've posted from the system are certainly pleasing. I was curious enough to go and do some reading, but then I went to our favorite comparison site . . . Compact Camera Meter

It's a full-frame system, Tony, and there's no escaping the physics. However, the lenses, though big at first sight, handle fantastically on those wonderful Nikon Z bodies. I know your usual use case calls for much smaller gear, so I can relate (I am the same when out on the bike or casusally walking). However, the Z 50 with its kit lens does fill the portability niche, and very nicely, too. Plus you could use all Z glas on that little camera - and since Nikon have worked their magic with the grip and balance once more, it's no problem at all. I remember trying to use big glass on the D5500, a camera I adored - it was possible, but it certainly felt unbalanced (the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 comes to mind - wonderful lens, impossible size). The Z 50 continues to feel solid in the hand with the 24-200mm on it - heck, I even had to stop myself carrying the Z 50 on its grip alone with the 70-300mm E lens mounted on the FTZ adapter ... It feels as if it could take it, too (and maybe it can, but I don't want to risk it), at any rate, I could raise it to the eye and hold it one handed to shoot, as I did on at least one occasion. Whatever Nikon has done there, it hits the spot for me personally.

However, I know how great Fujifilm bodies are, and the 35mm f/1.4 is a wonderful lens in terms of its results. No reason whatsoever not to love it - I know I do. But what Nikon offers here is in a completely different league optically.

I'll only believe that 20mm is better than the DSLR version if and when I use it. The 20mm F1.8G is stellar. It's the close focusing wide open which makes it quite remarkable and if you like starbursts, well, it's the best lens I've ever used for that. Possibly underrated because , well, you know, it's not sexy, is plastic and doesn't have a manual aperture ring. But the 20mm Z F1.8S has some big shoes to fill there.

I've never owned or shot the 20mm f/1.8G, and I bet it's a great performer. What I'm so happy about is the fact that the Z 20mm f/1.8 S is such a good lens - because usually, I'd've opted for the 24mm lens, but this time I didn't (because I have lots of 24mm options, but only a few wider ones). I'm just really happy it's such a stunner.

Honestly, guys, I'm not trying to sell the Nikon Z system to you - I'm just reporting my own success in picking up a combo that really works for me! And while I wasn't completely sold on the Z system at first and hesitant to expand it, I'm convinced now I've done the right thing, which is a relief.

But in the end, it's about the images I was able to create yesterday, out of a spontaneous decision to take the triple out on a walk for the first time. And I loved it - and will continue to do so because it's so good.

M.

Last edited:
Honestly, guys, I'm not trying to sell you the Nikon Z system - I'm just reporting my own success in picking up a combo that really works for me! And while I wasn't completely sold on the Z system at first and hesitant to expand it, I'm convinced now I've done the right thing, which is a relief.

But in the end, it's about the images I was able to create yesterday, out of a spontaneous decision to take the triple out on a walk for the first time. And I loved it - and will continue to do so because it's so good.

M.
Oh no Matt, I didn't think you were trying to push the system. Your enthusiasm for the Nikon system is evident, which made me curious enough to go looking for more information. Had I not just acquired a like-new X-T2, and if my use case was different, I'd at least rent a Z-camera to check it out. The images you've shown here are nice.

The Z 6 is worlds better in the hand than any Sony I've handled to date, so the (only slightly!) bigger and heavier Z lenses don't bother me. Compare the Sony 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8 - they're not that much smaller than the current Nikon lenses, though some are clearly shorter. But of course, you're completely right about the "closed source" issue, and the small lenses *are* a treat on the Sony bodies (if only to make them more manageable than bigger ones do). That said, the Sony A7 II is still nice to handle with smaller lenses - so you're right there. I certainly hope Sigma (and others) succeed, but failing that, Nikon has to release their small primes soon.

Honestly, guys, I'm not trying to sell the Nikon Z system to you - I'm just reporting my own success in picking up a combo that really works for me! And while I wasn't completely sold on the Z system at first and hesitant to expand it, I'm convinced now I've done the right thing, which is a relief.

Haha, I didn’t think you were trying to sell anyone either. Just a real first hand impression, something I always enjoy hearing from users of other systems.

Honestly, if Nikon has the same size lens options as Sony, I would be a Z6 or Z5 owner right now. I definitely prefer their ergonomics. I know you said the sizing isn’t all that different, but it actually is if you compare them side by side. Especially for the 20 and 85 lenses. Not sure why the Nikons are so long - for me, that impacts storage and balance when throw over your shoulder. That’s also why I sometimes miss the DSLR days - those behemoth bodies never allows for front heaviness when using primes.

And then there’s the weight of those S lenses. The same kit is about 35% heavier than Sony’s offering. Not sure how the optics compare, but all those Sony lenses are definitely top notch quality.

Either way, it’s use what works for your own individual needs and preferences. The key is enjoying the tool and getting the results you want from that equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt. the images you've posted from the system are certainly pleasing. I was curious enough to go and do some reading, but then I went to our favorite comparison site . . . Compact Camera Meter
You need to compare with a Fuji 23mm on the XT-2... It will still be smaller, but not by as much.

And yeah, the Nikon 1.8's are sort of long, and long ago I stated that on a soon to depart forum and got an earful from Nikon people. Something about the lens mount and optical this and that. In the end, they still seem long to me, but they are very good pieces of gear. When I need smaller, I can chuck the OM-1 and some Oly lenses around.

Back