Nikon Nikon Z fc Talk

The Smallrig grip makes all the difference in handling. I can use the adapter 70-300/4.5-5.6 VR lens with no issues.

I highly recommend it
I have one on my Z5, mainly for tripod use, but it does also enhance the grip. I appreciate the reminder as I did intend to get one for the Zfc. It’s just been out of my mind for awhile as I (previously) waited for the kit!

Who here has got this camera?

I have been a Nikon shooter since the 80's, FE, FE2 and then the dSLR's.
In 2017 due to weight restrictions for travelling, I switched to Fuji's X system and currently shoot that almost exclusively.
However, I'm very very tempted to get a Nikon Z fc (I love the df as well) for the retro-ness of it and the different way it renders to the Fujis and ... who am I kidding ...GAS :)
There's a kit with the 16-50 lens and an SD card and a bag blah blah blah currently on special in my local camera shop's January sale.

What is the general consensus? Is it a fun thing to have, does it deliver good image quality? I know people say it's a bit plasticky, but
I guess that's where the weight reduction and lower price come from.

Thumbs up or down?

Last edited:

In 2017 due to weight restrictions for travelling, I switched to Fuji's X system and currently shoot that almost exclusively.
However, I'm very very tempted to get a Nikon Z fc (I love the df as well) for the retro-ness of it and the different way it renders to the Fujis and ... who am I kidding ...GAS :)
There's a kit with the 16-50 lens and an SD card and a bag blah blah blah currently on special in my local camera shop's January sale.

What is the general consensus? Is it a fun thing to have, does it deliver good image quality? I know people say it's a bit plasticky, but

Thumbs up or down?
The Z fc is one of my favourite cameras. It's not super-small, but feels very compact and is very pleasant to use - and while it's not quite as well conceived for pure "classic" handling as Fujifilm's or Leica's cameras, this is the one body of the "retro" type that really works for me - which is somewhat counter-intuitive because I usually prefer rangefinder-style over SLR-style. But the camera is good in all relevant respects - and while it's somewhat bare-bones in some ways (still no I.B.I.S.), key features for shooting are well implemented: Very good EVF, but at the same time a very nicely implemented and useful "flippy" screen you can hide if you want a more immersed shooting experience, a body not too small with a good number of buttons, but certainly not overloaded with features - for instance, there are no custom modes, but instead, the camera remembers your settings in each of the four "classic" modes (M, A, S, P). In spite of some of the criticism I've read, the Z fc doesn't feel the least bit gimmicky - the concept works (and it works a lot better for me than the Df did - a camera that I wanted to like but never got to grips with ... yes, the grip was the problem, alongside the ecclectic way the dials and controls were set up).

However, I have to say that I think that in the case of this camera, the old adage of "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) should certainly be heeded. Fujifilm's cameras do feel more substantial - I don't find fault with the Z fc build quality, but it's not quite on par with the solid feel Fujifilm bodies offer, and yes, you could call it plasticky - as you say, it's surprisingly light for its size, but it's not flimsy or shoddy; this camera is well put together and durable - just not quite on the same level as Fujifilm's bodies. Next to the X100V, it looks and feels a bit cheap. But in my view, that's splitting hairs.

Anyhow, IQ is absolutely competitive - it's the best 20MP sensor I've shot with or seen shots from, and up to ISO 3200, it gives even good 24MP FF sensors a run for their money. Colours are not as spectacular as Fujifilm's, but very good and easy to work with; in many ways, I can do more with those files than with Fujifilm's, but I prefer (some of) Fujifilm's JPEG options - albeit slightly. I happily shoot the Z fc in "Neutral" and can use the JPEGs for just about every kind of pp if exposed within the capabilities of the sensor - again, up to ISO 3200. The RAWs are as solid as all Nikon files basically always are - and very malleable, with very good highlight retention (better than Sony's 24MP sensors, on par with Fujifilm's 24MP and 26MP sensors) and superb high ISO quality. That said, I'm concervative that way - I cap my ISO at the aforementioned 3200.

The Z 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 DX is a fun little lens - *that's* a plasticky affair, though, and lacks any kind of weather sealing. If you can live with that and the very modest speed, you get a super-small lens with very impressive IQ. That said, I prefer both the Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX and the 28mm f/2.8 DX because good as the 16-50mm is, they both offer even better optics and more flexibility and/or more pleasing rendering - the superzoom's the best of its size and price range I've shot with, and even its bigger and more sibling, the FX Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3, isn't any better optically (though clearly more robust and better sealed). The 18-140mm is glued to my Z 50, but works well on the Z fc - though I have another favourite lens on that camera: The 28mm f/2.8 is one of the most rewarding lenses for the Z system as a whole - it's small, cheap and optically very, very convincing, though without being a S Line killer. I prefer that lens over the 16-50mm because it's capable of really appealing shots with more control over DOF than the zoom offers. I've yet to miss a zoom when being out and about with this lens!

So, from me, the Z fc gets a double thumbs up; though I fully get why the 16-50mm may appear like the better "starter" lens, the real kit lens "gem" is the Z 28mm f/2.8 - but if you really want/need a zoom, I'd go straight for the Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX; yes, there's a bit of a size penalty, but that lens outdoes its sibling for usefulness *and* optics and is easily worth its bulk (which isn't that bit at all). But as always, regarding that, YMMV ...

Sorry, got carried away somewhat ... But again, it's one of my favourite cameras, and my usual(!) EDC, coupled with the Z 28mm f/2.8.

M.

Wonderful response @MoonMind ! I really appreciate all the points you covered. Currently it's almost 1am and we're attending a family wedding tomorrow, so I'll get to sleep now and more fully digest what you wrote in the morning.

- the advertised special they are running is for the kit with the 16-50 lens. Any other combination is at a way higher price and I can't really justify that right now

Thumbs up or down?

It is a lovely camera. A lot of interneters will complain about the PASM dial mixed with the analog styling...but I do not find it an issue. I find it a different way of working. If there is a Z mount lens with a function ring, you can set that to aperture mode and use it like an aperture ring.

As Matt has mentioned, the JPG engine and 20mp sensor are some of the best out there for APS-C. I too, prefer the customizability of the Fuji x-mount cameras...but Nikon has put some thought into the JPG engine and I and others have been putting some time and thought into creating "film simulations" for it.

If you are using primes, the handling on it is just fine (with no additional grip added) and honestly, reminds me of using my old Yashica E5000.

For longer lenses, and my piece of mind, I like adding the Smallrig grip. This makes the use of the Z 24-120/4 a dream. It is a little front heavy, but that kind of thing doesn't really bother me. It also makes the use of the f-mount 70-300/4.5-5.6 E AF-P lens with the FTZ a capable kit. So much so that I am waiting to see what the Fuji X-Pro4 is going to look like and may get rid of my Fuji 70-300/4-5.6 OIS WR lens.

The AF-C tracking is competent and I've had as good success with it as I have had with my Z6....the Z fc has the bonus of having a more upgraded AF feature set though, which is nice.

I can see it being almost as good as the Fuji, if Nikon comes out with smaller lenses like the 28/2.8 and 40/2.

My extended review:

Last edited:
I am very tempted by this camera too. I started with Nikon back in the film days and currently own the Df, Z5, and Z6.
My only APSC camera is my long time favorite pocket camera, the Coolpix A.
The Z fc looks so much the Nikon FE from my college days.
Might be trading off my Z5 (although I really like the build and configuration) for a Z fc sometime this year.

Wonderful response @MoonMind ! I really appreciate all the points you covered. Currently it's almost 1am and we're attending a family wedding tomorrow, so I'll get to sleep now and more fully digest what you wrote in the morning.

- the advertised special they are running is for the kit with the 16-50 lens. Any other combination is at a way higher price and I can't really justify that right now
Nothing wrong with the 16-50mm! As kit lenses go, this is one of the really nice ones (it's better than my previous favourite of the genre, the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm - optically as well as mechanically, plasticky though it may be). There's certainly no harm in owning it - it's a fine first lens as well as a keeper (I still have mine, in spite of owning the 18-140mm).

I am very tempted by this camera too. I started with Nikon back in the film days and currently own the Df, Z5, and Z6.
My only APSC camera is my long time favorite pocket camera, the Coolpix A.
The Z fc looks so much the Nikon FE from my college days.
Might be trading off my Z5 (although I really like the build and configuration) for a Z fc sometime this year.
The one thing I wouldn't do is give up the Z 5, if only because a FX Z body with the 40mm on it is such a wonderful match.

That said, the Z fc with the 40mm (or its congenial 28mm kit lens) comes close as far as results go. But you'll lose I.B.I.S., better sealing, way better battery life and the grip ... though, as Andrew mentioned, the latter can be mended - I also own the SmallRig grip, it's really quite nice and well thought out, but not as good as the Z 50 from the get-go, and that's a mini-me of the Z 5, minus the I.B.I.S.

Something I forgot: The only issue I have with the DX/APS-C Z bodies is battery life - but that's coming from the FX bodies. Battery life is at least as good as on the Sony A6*00 series (except for the A6600 with its mighty battery) and the smaller Fujifilm bodies. But it pays to charge the battery after an outing in order not to run into issues when you take the camera out again.

@gryphon1911 Just read your review - thanks for that! We both used the same word to describe the files - "malleable" just fits!

M.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Are you planning to run this alongside your Fujis?
Yes definitely - just as a sideline 'toy'. I'm going to regard it as a single unit, just that body with 16-50 zoom, that's it.
I would very much have preferred a prime 28 to go with it (maybe look for one second hand?) but this was a kit on promotional pricing.
Comes with a really ugly bag, a small tripod, a remote and an external microphone (as they say, a *vlogging kit*)

Here's all the stuff it came with - plug ugly bag !!! We intend to use spray paint to cover that dumb logo. Jeeeez... I'm too old for that!

1674299339676.png

I got up before dawn this morning after having been tossing and turning. I currently run Windows 7 and due to it being such an old OS,
I am unable to run the latest version of Capture One and various other programmes just won't install or update. (yes, luddite as far as
this goes). So I had been stressing whether or not the camera's RAW files would be supported by my 2021 Capture One. Downloaded
several sample raw files from a review site and BINGO! I'm delighted to report that the camera is supported due to it having been
released on the market in August 2021.

Battery currently charging so I'll need to run the set up once that's ready to go.

Last edited:
Quick question ::: how can I set up Auto ISO while in Manual mode?
If you haven't found the answer already: Set up Auto ISO first:
MENU -> PHOTO SHOOTING MENU -> ISO sensitivity settings -> Auto ISO sensitivity control: set to "ON" (and adjust other settings to your liking - I use: ISO sensitivity: 100 | Maximum sensitivity: 3200; Maximum sensitivity with flash: 3200; Minimum shutter speed: AUTO (I can get away with 1/30s, too)). It's not entirely intuitive, but that's the way to make it work. In a nutshell: If possible, the camera uses ISO 100, but AUTO if the minimum/set shutter speed isn't giving you a correct exposure (as metered) at the current ISO.

M.

Web 1500_ZFC_0023 Testing new camera in studio.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for your assistance, @MoonMind ! I'm on the way to getting there. The Auto ISO is doing its thing. Found out how to select focus point by pressing OK and then
moving to the correct spot - yes? Seems a bit of a lengthy process but I suppose I'll get used to doing that. Also coming from Fuji, of course everything works in the opposite direction - from
putting the lens on to inserting the SD card :)

Last edited:
View attachment 359897

Thanks for your assistance, @MoonMind ! I'm on the way to getting there. The Auto ISO is doing its thing. Found out how to select focus point by pressing OK and then
moving to the correct spot - yes? Seems a bit of a lengthy process but I suppose I'll get used to doing that. Also coming from Fuji, of course everything works in the opposite direction - from
putting the lens on to inserting the SD card :)
Irene, you can set up the direction pad to shift the focus point directly:
MENU -> PHOTO SHOOTING MENU -> AF-area mode -> set to "Single-point AF" (I also use AF-S instead of AF-A).
Then set the "OK" button to reset the focus point to the center:
MENU -> CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU -> f2 Custom controls (shooting) -> set the "OK" button to "RESET".

This should do it; I actually couldn't find any other settings that might have to be changed to achieve this.

Oh, and you can inverse the rotation direction of the dials:
MENU -> CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU -> f4 Customize command dials -> Reverse rotation -> set to your liking.

EDIT (I hope it's the last one!): Note to self: Always make sure that you check for coherence before saving ...

M.

P.S. Sorry, still editing ... This time to say that I'm really not a menu diving expert ... And beware, I'm pitilessly old-fashioned, I switch off most gizmos ...

I thought I *had* switched off the touch screen, but evidently not, as proven by this type of mishap

View attachment 359932
I certainly don't want to feel like a know-it-all, but ... On the screen (left upper edge) there's a touch control for, well, touch control. If you hit it accidentally, you may find yourself cycling through three modes inadvertedly: touch off - AF point selection on - AF point selection and shutter release on. Make sure it's either on the first or the second option (I think you're looking for the first - "OFF" does it).

M.

I certainly don't want to feel like a know-it-all, but ... On the screen (left upper edge) there's a touch control for, well, touch control. If you hit it accidentally, you may find yourself cycling through three modes inadvertedly: touch off - AF point selection on - AF point selection and shutter release on. Make sure it's either on the first or the second option (I think you're looking for the first - "OFF" does it).

M.
I just turn the lcd inward, saving you from accidental presses. Just another option to consider.

Back