Nikon Nikon Z6 III Announced

Taneli

Veteran
Name
Daniel
Ok, so it finally was announced, here is a link to the trailer:

(which I got from the swedish news letter:)

Well.

It looks very promising, better sensor which seems to perform better in low light and they seems to have some pre-capture function as well. Along with other goodies.

Now we just wonder, if the FF bodies will reach their third iteration. When will a new Z50 come!? 🤔

Ok, so it finally was announced, here is a link to the trailer:

(which I got from the swedish news letter:)

Well.

It looks very promising, better sensor which seems to perform better in low light and they seems to have some pre-capture function as well. Along with other goodies.

Now we just wonder, if the FF bodies will reach their third iteration. When will a new Z50 come!? 🤔
Just your bog standard z has amazing low light capabilities and this new one’s even better? Wow, technology really is overtaking me.

If I was in the market for an FF and if I had excess money and if I wanted to spend a lot more for lenses, and if I was making money with my camera I probably would not be interested but-----if I was an FF guy, it would be Nikon.

This looks like an excellent release for Nikon. The price is not outrageous for the features you get, IMHO.

Good on Nikon for bringing this out! While I may not in the market for it now (happy with the Z8 and Z f), it is definitely one to keep an eye on in the future....now, one wonders if Nikon were to bring out a "Z500", with this partially stacked sensor - with all the performance of the Z6 III...DX camera.....say for $1900 - $2100...I think they would get a lot of buyers, especially for sports/wildlife that want a Z50 size body but the native reach.

Last edited:
This looks like an excellent release for Nikon. The price is not outrageous for the features you get, IMHO.

Good on Nikon for bringing this out! While I ma not in the market for it now (happy with the Z8 and Z f), it is definitely one to keep an eye on in the future....now, one wonders if Nikon were to bring out a "Z500", with this partially stacked sensor - with all the performance of the Z6 III...DX camera.....say for $1900 - $2100...I think they would get a lot of buyers, especially for sports/wildlife that want a Z50 size body but the native reach.
Very similar take to mine - but I think I may own that camera at some point in time; I'd somehow like to wait for the Z 7 III before deciding, though (or at least I'll try :D) because I'm pretty happy with the Z 7 II and Z f (plus my two DX bodies, the Z 50 and Z fc).

However ... All things considered, with the new EVF, new flip screen (which I prefer), I.B.I.S. on par with or better as the Z f, better AF still ... I don't think I even should resist getting the Z 6 III; it's only a matter of deciding if I should keep (or wait in order to directly replace) the Z 7 II, a camera I do love in action - it produces wonderful results! - but simply don't use enough.

The best way forward seems to be to put the Z 7 II through its paces once more and then go and try the Z 6 III. If it's as big an upgrade as the Z f essentially was over the original Z 6 in terms of performance, I'm most probably not going to miss the higher resolution. Probably.

Sounds like a plan.

M.

Last edited:
Very similar take to mine - but I think I may own that camera at some point in time; I'd somehow like to wait for the Z 7 III before deciding, though (or at least I'll try :D) because I'm pretty happy with the Z 7 II and Z f (plus my two DX bodies, the Z 50 and Z fc).

However ... All things considered, with the new EVF, new flip screen (which I prefer), I.B.I.S. on par with or better as the Z f, better AF still ... I don't think I even should resist getting the Z 6 III; it's only a matter of deciding if I should keep (or wait in order to directly replace) the Z 7 II, a camera I do love in action - it produces wonderful results! - but simply don't use enough.

The best way forward seems to be to put the Z 7 II through its paces once more and then go and try the Z 6 III. If it's as big an upgrade as the Z f essentially was over the original Z 6 in terms of performance, I'm most probably not going to miss the higher resolution. Probably.

Sounds like a plan.

M.
A little addendum: Camerasize allowed me to assess the actual size of the Z 6 III for the first time.

While it's not huge, it certainly is noticeably bigger (taller and thicker) than the Z 7 II ... Not exactly happy about that (even though I think I can handle the additional weight and will probably appreciate the more substantial grip): The Z 7 II (as the Z 6 before it) just barely fits into my beloved EDC bag with small lenses only, and I'm not sure the Z 6 III would actually still go into there, as I already find the Z 7 II somewhat awkward - so, also something to check and consider. That said, it's now about the size of a Panasonic S5 II - not a big camera overall. And it's not as if I couldn't change bags ...

We'll see.

M.

Interesting article on PetaPixel about possible successor to the Z7II:
I saw that - but it didn't convince me. Who's to say the Z 7 line has to stay a 45MP camera forever? There's plenty of room in the Nikon Z lineup for something with higher resolution that's not speed-oriented ... That is not to say 60MP are a necessity for Nikon, but after Leica going that route (and Panasonic still likely to follow), it'd certainly not be a bad move.

My own exploration continues. But yesterday, I realised something that's been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while (for years, maybe): I actually find the grip on the Z 7 II kind of small, i.e. rather shallow. When the Z 6 came out, its grip was way deeper than most other competitors', and it felt better. But it's still kind of small, and most brands have since opted for more substantial grips on "full-sized" models.

There's a reason I still hang on to the D750: Its grip is simply fantastic - though almost too big for my smallish hands, but its rather slim profile makes up for that.

If the Z 6 III, as is reported, has a noticeably deeper grip, it'd offer another advantage over the older bodies, including the Z 5. For me, that is: I like to carry my cameras in the hand - which means they have either to be light enough or offer a grip that allows me do dangle the camera from my fingertips comfortably and safely. The Z 7 II is very handy in use, just not ideal to carry over long periods of time, regardless of the lens mounted. As soon as a neck or shoulder strap enters the equation, the Z 7 II's handling is great, and on the neck, you'll appreciate its rather low weight ... That said, 55 grams don't make a world of difference.

So, the thing I struggle (struggled?) with most, the increased size, may actually be the Z 6 III's real asset for my use case.

I actually started thinking about moving on the Z 7 II and the D750. Since the arrival of the Df, all the lenses I was only able to shoot on the D750 the way they were once intended to be shot have found a better base. Both the Z f and the Z 7 II offer tangible AF advantages over the D750 for my usual needs. The D750's sensor is still one of my favourite ones of all times, though, and as I said above, the grip is simply wonderful. So it'd be a tough decision. But it'd mirror my usage: I mostly pick my 24MP Z FX body the most (currently the Z f, formerly the Z 6), followed by the Z DX bodies. I could sing the praises of both the Z 7 II and D750 as event cameras (for different reasons), but I use both of them too rarely for comfort ...

Furthermore, since the arrival of the Z f, the advantages the D750 offered for tracking are matched or surpassed - after all, the 3D Tracking of the Z f works over most of the sensor. And the Z 6 III pushes the envelope again with its new sensor ... I don't think I need to hang on to the D750 in the future.

M.

Back