Nikon Showcase nikon Z6 image thread

A few from 1/1/2019. Ringing in the New Year with some images!

01-01-2019_Z6_colzoo_greenlawn_DSC_2960.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon 300/4E PF + FTZ
01-01-2019_Z6_colzoo_greenlawn_DSC_3005-Edit.jpg
01-01-2019_Z6_colzoo_greenlawn_DSC_3054-Edit.jpg

I understand where you are coming from. I was bit by the Z lens bug hard when I mistakenly fell to the peer pressure from my local camera store friend and walked around with the demo Z 35mm f/1.8S. Lightened my wallet, but the Z prime is fantastic.

They are very good lenses and awesomely good even wide open. Reminds me of the pleasure I found when I first realized that the micro four thirds primes can be used wide open. Obviously there is a need to understand the shallowness of the DOF in the 135 sensor size at f/1.8.
Looking at your images, I have to agree about the quality of the Z lenses - but the Sigma Art primes are just as good in most use cases, and they are brighter. And the Nikon G lenses serve the purpose of small and light primes very well. I know the Z lenses are up there with the Sigma ones and clearly a step up. But that doesn't justify the money loss inherent in swapping - nor the restriction of not being able to use the new glass on the older camera. FWIW, I still prefer the D750 for tele use (though your work with the 300mm PF is outstanding).

Anyhow, I'll try manual lenses next, I think, starting with the Voigtländer 40mm f/2 because it has a CPU, working my way along to older F mount stuff ...

btw. I'm mad at myself for having found out that Novoflex already offer a NIKZ/LEM adapter - it'll be next to impossible to resist that one ... Thankfully, Voigtländer haven't quite caught on yet ...

M.

Looking at your images, I have to agree about the quality of the Z lenses - but the Sigma Art primes are just as good in most use cases, and they are brighter. And the Nikon G lenses serve the purpose of small and light primes very well. I know the Z lenses are up there with the Sigma ones and clearly a step up. But that doesn't justify the money loss inherent in swapping - nor the restriction of not being able to use the new glass on the older camera. FWIW, I still prefer the D750 for tele use (though your work with the 300mm PF is outstanding).

Anyhow, I'll try manual lenses next, I think, starting with the Voigtländer 40mm f/2 because it has a CPU, working my way along to older F mount stuff ...

btw. I'm mad at myself for having found out that Novoflex already offer a NIKZ/LEM adapter - it'll be next to impossible to resist that one ... Thankfully, Voigtländer haven't quite caught on yet ...

M.
From what I can see the Sigma primes are definitely at the front of the pack in IQ. I'm still a little gun shy about Sigma, even though I love what they've done in mirrorless land right now. I own their 30/1.4 for m43 and love it, used to own the 60/2.8 and it was a definite underrated lens.

Manual lenses on the Z cameras are simply fantastic. Even without CPU, all the older Nikon lenses I've used have just been a pleasure.

From what I can see the Sigma primes are definitely at the front of the pack in IQ. I'm still a little gun shy about Sigma, even though I love what they've done in mirrorless land right now. I own their 30/1.4 for m43 and love it, used to own the 60/2.8 and it was a definite underrated lens.

Manual lenses on the Z cameras are simply fantastic. Even without CPU, all the older Nikon lenses I've used have just been a pleasure.
The problem with Sigma is that if you've been shooting for a while you remember 10-20 years ago when every lens was hit or miss, even samples or each lens could be hit or miss.

The 150 macro and 100-300 f/4 were great, but how many version of the 70-200 f/2.8 did they put out? My personal favorites were the old DX 30mm f/1.4 and original small DX 50-150 f/2.8.

I'm glad Nikon seems to be getting there act together on mirrorless. I hope they can address the AF issue, hopefully a firmware solution. And while I understand the issue some have with the initial lens lineup, the adapter (and I personally REALLY dislike using adapters) seems to be very well done even if some wish it had a built in drive motor.

I'm also glad I just really can't justify getting it. :shakehead: :D

The problem with Sigma is that if you've been shooting for a while you remember 10-20 years ago when every lens was hit or miss, even samples or each lens could be hit or miss.

The 150 macro and 100-300 f/4 were great, but how many version of the 70-200 f/2.8 did they put out? My personal favorites were the old DX 30mm f/1.4 and original small DX 50-150 f/2.8.

I'm glad Nikon seems to be getting there act together on mirrorless. I hope they can address the AF issue, hopefully a firmware solution. And while I understand the issue some have with the initial lens lineup, the adapter (and I personally REALLY dislike using adapters) seems to be very well done even if some wish it had a built in drive motor.

I'm also glad I just really can't justify getting it. :shakehead: :D

I believe I heard a rumor somewhere that Kipon or some such maker is going to release their version of an FTZ with AF capability. Honestly, I'd be happy with an FTZ with an aperture follower or if Nikon updates the Z series to allow for you to dial in the same aperture in cameras as on the lens aperture ring. They did that on the Nikon Df, don't understand why they didn't do that to begin with on the Z6/Z7.

It's a vicious circle. The sensors start to push the lenses. The new optically better lenses are bigger and heavier (and more expensive) and so on. I'm amazed how much bigger FF lenses are compared to my old film lenses.

It's a vicious circle. The sensors start to push the lenses. The new optically better lenses are bigger and heavier (and more expensive) and so on. I'm amazed how much bigger FF lenses are compared to my old film lenses.
What makes me scratch my head is the fact that Leica and Zeiss manual lenses stay considerably smaller without giving up performance. The Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 ZM lens may be big for a rangefinder lens, but it's half the weight and two thirds the size of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, yet it renders a nicer and visually sharper image - though that comparison may not hold on bodies with a higher pixel count than I have access to. The only downside is that to get at its full performance, you need a suitable body (or employ some serious cludges to make it work).

M.

Fuji and Mu43 have done a good job making sharp small lenses for their smaller sensors. Of course, part of that is computational correction. For me, those huge primes are a real negative.
Can't argue with that ... It's one of the fascinations with the Leica system as a whole: great performance in a comparatively small package (not light, though). But yes, :mu43: is king of size/performance, mostly thanks to Panasonic and Olympus really putting a lot of resources into developing compelling glass.

M.

A few from a walk through a local park today...fun for me...work for the Parks and Recreation department. Great when I can combine the 2!!

06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8218.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8232.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8234.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8238.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8242.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8258.jpg
06-01-2019_Z6_reyn_parks_blp_DSC_8264.jpg

Back