Nikon Z9

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Acc. to DPR the Nikon Z9 is a stills/video monster. Nikon has done a great job, congrats.
I wonder, is Z9 IQ better then a medium format sensor camera (Fuji, Hasselblad, Leica)?
Enjoy your Easter Holidays!
Best, Herman

I don't have a Z9 yet and haven't ever used a MF digital, so this is just supposition. I would think that the likes of the Fuji GFX sensors would offer more for landscape than the 45mp Z sensors. The difference comes in action photography and lens selection, especially long lenses.

I do have a Z7 and for landscape it has totally relieved me of all my desires for medium format. Yes, I could get more from a GFX, but it isn't enough more for me to spend the extra on the setup.

Whilst I like my Z6, it is truly at the crossroads between a camera and a computer; the ability to follow someone’s face or even eyes in a crowd producing clean full frame files at previously unfeasably high iso and shutter rates all without any of the traditional effort. That’s the Z6 - the bigger Z9 compared to that seems a straight out machine, press the shutter, get the brilliant shot. It virtually guarantees you the shot in any circumstances, it’s just a question of whether the process is enjoyable. If you derive 100% of your income from pictures then I suppose it’s what you would need.

Last edited:
Whilst I like my Z6, it is truly at the crossroads between a camera and a computer; the ability to follow someone’s face or even eyes in a crowd producing clean full frame files at previously unfeasably high iso and shutter rates all without any of the traditional effort. That’s the Z6 - the bigger Z9 compared to that seems a straight out machine, press the shutter, get the brilliant shot. It virtually guarantees you the shot in any circumstances, it’s just a question of whether the process is enjoyable. If you derive 100% of your income from pictures then I suppose it’s what you would need.
I felt somewhat similar when I owned the E-M1X. It was definitely the most powerful camera I’ve ever owned and I viewed it as such (even though that camera isn’t nearly as capable as a Z9). What was telling to me, is on a vacation where I lugged 4 cameras along, it was the one I grabbed the least, or on occasion, just left at the hotel while I brought all the others.

I find it interesting that we mostly all get frustrated when a camera doesn’t do or perform the way we want it to in the moment, yet we also want a visceral connection to making a photo. It seems the more advanced the camera, the more disconnected we are from the process of making that photo, and the more connected we are, the more likely it is it will miss that critical shot. It seems like there’s no winning! But I’d say that’s on us, and how we want to interact, it’s not for lack of choices any longer.

End rant.

Last edited:
Back