Fuji No 100% preview on X-T1 when shooting RAW

Nour El Refai

There are two very simple things I always wanted on my X-T1, it seems they will not be added on the new firmware 4.0
1- I want to be able to view the images at 100% on my camera when shooting RAW, they only fix for that is to shoot RAW+Jpeg then throw all the jpegs later!
2- The ability to create new folders in camera, I won't be too needy and ask to name those folders, but just be able to create a new folder for each subject or trip, etc.

I doubt that it will happen in the way you would like. RAW files are just that, raw data, a converter program is needed to make them into images. The reason you can review a RAW image in camera is because a small JPG image is embedded in the RAW file and this can only be zoomed so far. In order to achieve what you want you require an in camera converter which happens to be the JPG engine.

Hi Greyelm,
Thanks for your reply, I understand everything you said.
However, I don't have this problem in all my other cameras from other brands, whether they are DSLR like my D800 or mirrorless like the A7S.
So they must have embeded a larger file or something.
I don't care how it can be fixed, for me its a problem that I only have in my fuji cameras.

I appreciate where you are coming from, I used to shoot RAW only on my Fuji's and I always found the image review zoom inadequate. I now shoot RAW + JPG as this gives me the option of uploading the images to a Tablet so I can do quick review. I have wondered whether the firmware file size is just not big enough to include your option. Maybe with future cameras they could increase the firmware size but I suspect that's not necessarily as easy as that.

1) is actually a feature, not a bug. I am very happy that Fuji does not embed huge JPEGs. Simply choose RAW+FINE if you need large JPEGs to zoom into (I do). The RAWs are large enough as they are, I don't want them to become even bigger. Adding even more data would just slow down the camera because of the extra data. Not nice in continuous mode. And what for? I'd never need the large preview on my PC, only in-camera for a quick focus check.

2) This is something I really don't understand. I simply can't grasp the use of this. There are already folders on the SD card (complying to the file standard of Japanese camera makers). Why would I want to deal with folders on a camera? I simply shoot stuff, then transfer it to a PC where I have folders and everything.

Not that it matters but I'm with Rico - and that's not always the case. :) RAW files are already big, and with anything less than the fastest cards, burst times suffer quickly as it is. The ability to peep ALL the way to 100% is already there... in RAW+JPG. I can sort files so much more easily on a PC... by date/time, and boom, drag and drop.

You guys think that the Raw files from Fuji are big! Seriously! Thats funny. Go work with the Nikon D800 and you will laugh so much.
I really don't understand the concept that to check a photo on my camera at 100% I have to shoot both Raw+Jpeg! I definitely see it as a bug not a feature.

For the folders, I can live without them, but it would be a great feature in my work to have them in camera and let me explain why, I usually do that on my D800 when shooting portraits for a magazine, I quickly create a new folder when starting to shoot a each new subject, so when I give the card to my assistant, he knows that I photographed 8 persons, each one in his folder, and so on. I actually have many examples for using the folders in camera.
You may not understand it if you are not a working photographer or if you have a different workflow.
It's an option, if you don't want it don't use it, but I use it so I want it there, that's all!

The next generation of 24 MP cameras will introduce RAW compression. Let's hope there is a lossless option, no Sony artifacts please! :)

Back