Nikon Noct 58mm F1.2

Some questions:

Anyone owned/ owns this lens?

How does it really perform compared to the other fast aperture Nikkors?

Is its astronomical (IMO) price based on supply and demand or because it’s that good?

Just curious, that’s all.

I remember someone who owned the NOCT and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM (non-Art) and he thought the Sigma 50mm was quite close in performance with AF and wide open performance at a fraction of the price.

I think there's probably some magic in that lens, mainly due to it's craftsmanship and the fact it was built by Nikon lens technicians who are probably either retired or who have long passed away. Nowadays I don't know of anyone who'd actively shoot with one and risk damaging it. It seems more of a collectors' item to be cherished, while using cheaper or modern AF lenses as their daily shooter.

I remember someone who owned the NOCT and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM (non-Art) and he thought the Sigma 50mm was quite close in performance with AF and wide open performance at a fraction of the price.

I think there's probably some magic in that lens, mainly due to it's craftsmanship and the fact it was built by Nikon lens technicians who are probably either retired or who have long passed away. Nowadays I don't know of anyone who'd actively shoot with one and risk damaging it. It seems more of a collectors' item to be cherished, while using cheaper or modern AF lenses as their daily shooter.
That was my impression too, noting the availability of the other Nikkor F1.XX lenses one can get but, you know, thought I’d get a second opinion. Seems to be a collectors item as much as anything else. Thanks Jonathan.

I have an Ai version.
Is it worth it? Don't know: I'm not aware of the current prices. I've got mine a long time ago.
Definitely one of those lenses where you shouldn't forget it has an aperture ring :rolleyes:
I'm also not exactly the right person to show its capabilities but anyway, some examples.

p2207368388-6.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p2207369382-6.jpg

p2207369499-6.jpg

p2207367894.jpg

p864275587-6.jpg

p583212410-6.jpg

p729989773-6.jpg

p808242274-6.jpg

On film

p3081138252-6.jpg

p3081138249-6.jpg

If you're looking for a budget NOCT at a fraction of the price, the old Nikon 55mm f/1.2 Ai is a good budget fast MF 50mm and in some ways better than the newer 50mm f/1.2 AI-S lens. I tried one out and was surprised at how nicely it performed when compared next to my previously owned 50mm f/1.2 lens.
Yes, quite a lot of non ai versions available too, both ai and non ai versions at very reasonable prices, it was partly that which got me wondering why the premium on the Noct was so high.

Yes, quite a lot of non ai versions available too, both ai and non ai versions at very reasonable prices, it was partly that which got me wondering why the premium on the Noct was so high.
I believe the main difference with the NOCT is the ability to control chromatic aberration and purple fringing while shot wide open. I believe also it required precision hand polishing from old school Nikon lens engineers. A technique that is probably seldom done in modern lens construction.

The lads pull out all the Noct puns / jokes for the final DPReview review - they've been waiting a loooong time to say a lens weighs One Noct - looks lovely but completely unaffordable (for me at least)... will stick with my m43 Voightlander 25mm f0.95...

I have the 58mm f/1.4, and it’s a lovely lens…one of my favs I’d say, and at a fraction of the cost. I think they go for about $1,400, but I got mine for free from the magical closet at work 😉

Some questions:

Anyone owned/ owns this lens?

How does it really perform compared to the other fast aperture Nikkors?

Is its astronomical (IMO) price based on supply and demand or because it’s that good?

Just curious, that’s all.
I never bought one- 30 years ago they were still going for under $1K.

I have the original announcements for the lens- I think was announced in 1976. It is optimized for 10lp/mm, and specifically to reduce Coma. The performance on these original Aspheric lenses is not uniform across the field in a traditional lens test- but shows field curvature that follows the aspheric surfaces.

The modern 50/1.2 Nokton Asph is a better choice for RF and mirrorless.
The 55/1.2 Ai version is sharp across the central 2/3rds of the image, corners suffer. The 50/1.2 is more uniform. The 50/1.1 Nokton compares with these.

I never bought one- 30 years ago they were still going for under $1K.

I have the original announcements for the lens- I think was announced in 1976. It is optimized for 10lp/mm, and specifically to reduce Coma. The performance on these original Aspheric lenses is not uniform across the field in a traditional lens test- but shows field curvature that follows the aspheric surfaces.

The modern 50/1.2 Nokton Asph is a better choice for RF and mirrorless.
The 55/1.2 Ai version is sharp across the central 2/3rds of the image, corners suffer. The 50/1.2 is more uniform. The 50/1.1 Nokton compares with these.
Thanks Brian.

Back