Nokia 808 or small Compact for me? Help me out please.

gdourado

Regular
Hello,

So, the topic pretty much states it all...
I am searching for a practical and convenient way to take pictures.
I've had big DSLR kits. Wasn't taking them out much.
Decided to sell it all and invest in Micro Four Thirds.
Was convinced that the smaller size of m43 would make me shoot more.
I invested in a m43 kit... Primes, zooms, camera bodies...
Continued not to shoot much... Didn't want photography to get in the way of my life...
Started to lose interest in going out with lot's of gear and spend most of the time while on vacations or on afternoon walks, chasing pictures and not enjoying the places, people and scenery. Got tired of importing RAW files to Lightroom, edit them, and all that...

Sold most of the M43 kit...
So, I am currently searching for a convenient way to take some pictures to keep as memories of times and places. Not do Serious photography with editing, or pixel peep...
Currently have a galaxy note, but would like something with better IQ to take pictures.
I like android but I am not that invested in Apps, nor do I use loads of them...
Just browse the web occasionally, check the e-mail, listen to music while on the go...

So, based on this, would I be better of switching my Android for a Symbian Belle 808 Pureview, or buy a small compact like the s100 at the risk of start to leave it behind also... ?

Please help me out.

Thank you!
Cheers!

The one thing I hate about phone cameras (even the better ones) is the really poor dynamic range, which is noticeable even if you don't pixel peep. Camera phones keep increasing in resolution which is all well and good, I would just like to capture a scene with some contrast in which the photo actually comes close to resembling what I saw with my eyes.

I don't know how the 808 performs in this regard, but I would guess a compact like a Canon s100 will definitely perform better in this regard. Keep in a little belt pouch or something like that, and I think you will take it out with you.

Actually, you don't even need a s100, you could get a S90 or s95 for much less and would probably be totally happy.

The one thing I hate about phone cameras (even the better ones) is the really poor dynamic range, which is noticeable even if you don't pixel peep. Camera phones keep increasing in resolution which is all well and good, I would just like to capture a scene with some contrast in which the photo actually comes close to resembling what I saw with my eyes.

I don't know how the 808 performs in this regard, but I would guess a compact like a Canon s100 will definitely perform better in this regard. Keep in a little belt pouch or something like that, and I think you will take it out with you.

Actually, you don't even need a s100, you could get a S90 or s95 for much less and would probably be totally happy.

The Nokia has a Larger Sensor than the S100, I do not find dynamic range to be lacking...
7721771924_9dfc8e474d_b.jpg

Straight OOC, sharpened only
Now if you use the Zoom, the as you zoom you are binning fewer pixels and the DR issue can occur

Hello,

So, the topic pretty much states it all...
I am searching for a practical and convenient way to take pictures.
I've had big DSLR kits. Wasn't taking them out much.
Decided to sell it all and invest in Micro Four Thirds.
Was convinced that the smaller size of m43 would make me shoot more.
I invested in a m43 kit... Primes, zooms, camera bodies...
Continued not to shoot much... Didn't want photography to get in the way of my life...
Started to lose interest in going out with lot's of gear and spend most of the time while on vacations or on afternoon walks, chasing pictures and not enjoying the places, people and scenery. Got tired of importing RAW files to Lightroom, edit them, and all that...

Sold most of the M43 kit...
So, I am currently searching for a convenient way to take some pictures to keep as memories of times and places. Not do Serious photography with editing, or pixel peep...
Currently have a galaxy note, but would like something with better IQ to take pictures.
I like android but I am not that invested in Apps, nor do I use loads of them...
Just browse the web occasionally, check the e-mail, listen to music while on the go...

So, based on this, would I be better of switching my Android for a Symbian Belle 808 Pureview, or buy a small compact like the s100 at the risk of start to leave it behind also... ?

Please help me out.

Thank you!
Cheers!

I adore my 808, obviously.
However please do be aware that Belle might be an acquired taste and an expensive one at that.
The S100 would cost far less and has more zoom range plus it has OIS, the phone has none so you must hold still in shooting.
If you are determined to try the 808 have at it and I will advise you as best i can.
7749897030_6c33f2198c_b.jpg

26mm-e 5mp mode
7749895224_78bbdb29d9_b.jpg

82mm-e 5mp mode
both str8 OOC
uploaded directly to flickr from camera

It sounds like you will always carry your phone so you have no excuse not to take photos if there is a good camera on it. I think I would be more prone to purchase a small compact just because the lenses even on a small compact are in general better than what is on a cell phone. And people can correct me of course if I am wrong -- but if you are already thinking you won't want to carry a small compact, like a grd iv or say the newer sony rx100.. get a cell phone with a good camera. Just remember while you don't want your photo taking to get in the way of enjoying life, if there is something you want captured, you want it done well enough to preserve what you stopped and took the time to photograph.

this is superb camera in a quite decent phone, IMHO

it may look like i'm calling it a crappy camera packed into a good phone. I'm not. I've seen your photos..... and as the most vehemently ANTI-phone snapper on the planet, that is no longer my stance.

I'd still just prefer to have the FORM of a camera with dials and a shutter release button and a viewfinder. I want it to look like camera. Frankly, I use my phone to make phone calls around 5-10 times PER WEEK.....that's it. I know there are $10 phones out there....jam one of those into my CAMERA. The camera part is SO MUCH more important to me than the rest of it. The rest I can live without. I need no operating system. I need no apps. I don't even really need the phone to be honest, but when I see posts about phone cameras, I just like to wonder out loud why we don't have any options for the weirdos like me in the crowd.

Maybe I'll create one. It's driving me nuts now just thinking about it.

it may look like i'm calling it a crappy camera packed into a good phone. I'm not. I've seen your photos..... and as the most vehemently ANTI-phone snapper on the planet, that is no longer my stance.

I'd still just prefer to have the FORM of a camera with dials and a shutter release button and a viewfinder. I want it to look like camera. Frankly, I use my phone to make phone calls around 5-10 times PER WEEK.....that's it. I know there are $10 phones out there....jam one of those into my CAMERA. The camera part is SO MUCH more important to me than the rest of it. The rest I can live without. I need no operating system. I need no apps. I don't even really need the phone to be honest, but when I see posts about phone cameras, I just like to wonder out loud why we don't have any options for the weirdos like me in the crowd.

Luke I quite understand. In example i think my GRD 3 would be the last camera I would give up.

The Nokia has a Larger Sensor than the S100, I do not find dynamic range to be lacking...
7721771924_9dfc8e474d_b.jpg

Straight OOC, sharpened only
Now if you use the Zoom, the as you zoom you are binning fewer pixels and the DR issue can occur

I stand corrected! Funny, I came across one of your 808 posts after and was going to post a link to your Flickr here as those images do look very good but you beat me to it. The sensor is pretty big, although pixel pitch with the 40 MP images ends up being very small.

Does the pixel binning work well to increase dynamic range? I can easily understand how pixel binning can reduce noise by simply averaging it out. But with dynamic range it sees tougher to implement- if you average a bunch of blown out pixels you will just end up with a smaller number of blown out pixels.

Duct tape? ;)

Back