News Nokia announces a 41MP phone camera.

What I mean (and it's just a thought, not an affirmation) is that smartphones have been taking some sales away from compacts cameras in the last couple of years, and if a technology like this one allows smartphones to produce 5mp images with a similar quality as a good compact camera, then I don't see a reason why most people (those not interested in photography, who only takes snaps to post on Facebook) would buy a dedicated compact camera anymore. I'm not talking about enthusiast/pro cameras like the GRDs, X10, I'm taking about the hundreds of compacts that get iterated each year just to fill the shelves but don't offer much in terms of controls.

What I mean (and it's just a thought, not an affirmation) is that smartphones have been taking some sells out of compacts cameras in the last couple of years, and if a technology like this one allows smartphones to produce 5mp images with a similar quality as a good compact camera, then I don't see a reason why most people (those not interested in photography, who only takes snaps to post on Facebook) would buy a dedicated compact camera anymore. I'm not talking about enthusiast/pro cameras like the GRDs, X10, I'm taking about the hundreds of compacts that get iterated each year just to fill the shelves but don't offer much in terms of controls.

The most popular camera on flickr is the iPhone. That says a lot. Phonecams have been chewing at the P&S market for a while now. Convenience wins every time.
In the case of the Pureview's stated predecessor, the N8, the image quality in good light rivals that of my GRD. The Carl Zeiss lens and 12mp sensor is that good.
I, for one, look forward to getting the new Nokia.

Jay Leno once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that the difference for him between a supercar with an automatic transmission and one with a proper manual gearbox is the driver's involvement, skill of shifting just at the right time, the challenging of oneself. That's the ultimate reward. Anyone can climb in the automatic and make it go fast. So ask yourself, do you want to be a photographer or just leave it all up to Siri?

I won't buy a Nokia phone, but I sure hope such technology makes it into the next iPhone.

Sure, it's a camera phone, but it is always with me, and personally I find that it is as photographically engaging as any other camera, because after all it's about the content, right? Even if it not serious it is fun. And oddly, my iPhone photos get favorited more often on Flickr than any of my other cameras. Perhaps it is the spontaneity (or even the lack of full control) that allow those pictures to be different and more creative...

Jay Leno once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that the difference for him between a supercar with an automatic transmission and one with a proper manual gearbox is the driver's involvement, skill of shifting just at the right time, the challenging of oneself. That's the ultimate reward. Anyone can climb in the automatic and make it go fast. So ask yourself, do you want to be a photographer or just leave it all up to Siri?

Nokia does not use Siri ;)
Seriously, Photography is about the Photographer's eye. And the First Rule is to actually have a camera with one.
The Nokia makes it absurdly easy to have one with and one with superb IQ at that.
I call that a Win.

Yep, it's convenient. But it's a phone, sometimes you want to just forget about your phone and all it represents when you're out trying to relax...
fair 'nuff
I still take mine with, I can shoot, post-process and upload all from the field.
No one forces me to read the tweets, email or take those work calls.
'course it helps that I have two lines; work and personal.
And the N8 is on my personal line ;)

I feel the same way, but my compact is an X-10. The low end compacts that most folks buy are the ones that will be killed by cell phone cams. All they care about is the shot (and most of them also drive automatics). Unfortunately for the camera makers, a lot of their profit comes from these cheap cameras.

Back