Lili

Hall of Famer
Name
Lili
7718017018_3c577c7c38_b.jpg

5mp mode, default settings

7718008020_f00ea1008d_b.jpg

34mp full size modem, default settings

going out now, taking just the Nokia with me.

wow, viewing that 34mp image in original (100%) size is something else! Loads of sideways scrolling! But the detail is impressive, I must say! Nice pics, with even some OOF background!

The end of traditional compact digicams is even closer than many of us imagined. Give this technology a year or two to get out to most smartphones and it'll be over. Already, we can see the camera makers responding to the smartphone threat by offering the advanced features in small cameras that many of us suspected they could have offered years ago but chose not to. Nice stuff, Lili.

I can't wait until this kind of innovation makes its way to more popular phones, i.e. carrier-subsidized so that I can afford it! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

I'm contemplating this phone now... I want another iphone but am seriously uncertain about the next one. its probably a 4S for me, from the second hand market. or the Nokia 808. I'm loving the shots, Lili. Tell me, is there a reading app for this phone? I have a bazillion ebooks which I read on the iphone in Stanza, but I could be persuaded to switch. Not if there isnt a decent app though.

I'm contemplating this phone now... I want another iphone but am seriously uncertain about the next one. its probably a 4S for me, from the second hand market. or the Nokia 808. I'm loving the shots, Lili. Tell me, is there a reading app for this phone? I have a bazillion ebooks which I read on the iphone in Stanza, but I could be persuaded to switch. Not if there isnt a decent app though.

Thank you Sue.
IMHO camera aside this is one of the best phones I have used.
Superb battery life
gorgeous screen
the FP1 version of the native browser is very useable!
The size and weight are really perfect, it feels like premium device...
As to apps...
There are several reader apps, the newest and best is said to be Ionic
Ionic E-Book Reader

I will dl and test it out.

Thank you Sue.
IMHO camera aside this is one of the best phones I have used.
Superb battery life
gorgeous screen
the FP1 version of the native browser is very useable!
The size and weight are really perfect, it feels like premium device...
As to apps...
There are several reader apps, the newest and best is said to be Ionic
Ionic E-Book Reader

I will dl and test it out.

Its a temptation, for sure. I looked last night at some specs and cant quite work out the memory. Is it 16GB internal for storage?
Also, for ebooks, I see theres a version of fbReader available, and thats what I use on Android phones, its pretty good. Ionic reader looks pretty good too.

Good battery life would be a boon, my poor old 3GS is on its second battery and it only just lasts a day (well, about 8-10 hours) under heavy use. I'm not sure if I'll go down this path, I have hundreds of dollars "invested" in iOS apps... but I guess I need to work out which I am still using regularly and if its worth sticking to a particular OS for those. The main thing is compatibility with my mac, and with the provider I use. the latter seems to be OK, looks like this phone is pentaband so good for every network on the planet... but will it be iTunes compatible... hmm... Maybe I am locked into the Apple ecosystem after all :)

Sue it has 16 gb built in memory, i also have a 32gb card installed. With Nokia Belle you can choose where anything is downloaded or installed to be it internal or external volume.
As to batery life I use mine very heavily and after 16 hours or so it has like 51% left.
Join us Sue, you know you want to...

Sue it has 16 gb built in memory, i also have a 32gb card installed. With Nokia Belle you can choose where anything is downloaded or installed to be it internal or external volume.
As to batery life I use mine very heavily and after 16 hours or so it has like 51% left.
Join us Sue, you know you want to...

ROFL! You know me too well :) and that battery life is phenomenal in these smart phone days...

It's clear to me that we are very close to requiring two cameras at most: A camera like the Nokia 808 for general use and one other specialized camera for enthusiast use. Most of the general public will need nothing more than the Nokia or its eventual competitors. It's a brave new world, indeed.

It's clear to me that we are very close to requiring two cameras at most: A camera like the Nokia 808 for general use and one other specialized camera for enthusiast use. Most of the general public will need nothing more than the Nokia or its eventual competitors. It's a brave new world, indeed.

Actually, I think we are already there. Most people already use their cell phones in leau of a point and shoot dedicated camera. IMHO the Nokia raises the bar so as to threaten serious/enthusiast compacts.
I constantly realize as I am heading out the door that unless I need Reach or exreme lowlight ability the Pureview has it covered. Even the modest pureview zoom works as well or better than my XZ-1 in good light. Weere I to ruthlesly pare down to what I need it would be the 808 and my PEN with the panny 14mm and the Oly 14-150mm.

Absolutely. I just bought my HTC One S a few months ago (which has a decent 8mp camera in it, by the way - I'd say it and the iPhone are the "best of the rest" after the Nokia). But, at the end of my two-year contract, I may very well have the Nokia or whatever supercedes it in 24 months. Between now and then, I'll need to make some decisions on what to keep: My micro four-thirds kit or my Pentax APS-C kit. Perhaps neither. I'd still like a Fuji X100 or maybe a Sony NEX-7 before it's all over, though.

Impressive, Lili! Thanks for the samples and your experience.
I kinda expected resolution to be mind boggling (for a phone), but better still, the BW bridge shot shows that Nokia can hold the highlights also.
Was it auto or you dialed in a bit of compensation to preserve the whites of bridge?

Absolutely. I just bought my HTC One S a few months ago (which has a decent 8mp camera in it, by the way - I'd say it and the iPhone are the "best of the rest" after the Nokia). But, at the end of my two-year contract, I may very well have the Nokia or whatever supercedes it in 24 months. Between now and then, I'll need to make some decisions on what to keep: My micro four-thirds kit or my Pentax APS-C kit. Perhaps neither. I'd still like a Fuji X100 or maybe a Sony NEX-7 before it's all over, though.

Biro i quite agree with you about the htc one s. Were it to have a shutter button i would be more happy with its camera. The on screen button makes ot very hard to hold still and get a clean shot!
I likd the imagery i can get from larger sensor cameras but i find myself increasingly intolerant of bulk and weight. I have idly considered of disposing of all my gear save my nokia and a superzoom or travel camera.

Back