Leica Non M lenses on a digital M system ?

bobbywise

Regular
Name
Robert Wisbey
Hi !

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Leica M (240 version) due out immanently.
I do plan on getting some Summilux lenses, but would also like to use old lenses from Olympus and Minolta.
I understand these lenses can be used with adaptor rings, but I'm wondering about the frame lines in the view finder.

I have read the the M lenses are (obviously) registered with the body, and that the correct frame lines appear. I have also read that you can set the frame lines manually. However, the thing that is not clear is whether you can also manually set the frame lines for non M lenses like the OMs and the MD/MCs ?

Does anyone have any experience with this, and confirm whether or not frame lines are visible and able to be set for non M lenses ?

Thanks !

Rob

AFAIK, frame lines are only visible when M mount (or LTM with the appropriate adapter) are mounted. Similarly, rangefinder coupling is only available for such lenses. However, with the M (240), you can use adapted lenses with live view.

You cannot set frame lines manually on the new M.

Hope this helps.

Antonio

The new M will allow the use of non-coupled lenses using either live view or the accessory EVF. You can't use the rangefinder for non-coupled lenses. There would be no issues with framelines as long as the adaptor had the appropriate lens mount but you couldn't focus them.

Gordon

Thanks Flash,

In most cases I'd be zone focussing, so for the non-coupled lenses not having the RF focussing is not a show stopper for me. I'd probably end up getting the EVF, but still prefer looking through an optical view finder.

So if I understand you correctly, the lens adaptor needs to be for a certain focal length, and that would in effect set the frame lines on the body ?

For example, I've heard how some people file down the extended part of the ring of the Voigtlander 40/1.4 so they get 35mm framelines instead of 50mm framelines.

I've had a quick look for lens adaptors an they all seem generic (not specific to a particular focal length).

With Well Wishes,

Rob

A number of M-mount lens lines were made by Minolta (for the CL/CLE), Konica (for the Hexer RF and a few others), Cosina for Zeiss and Voightlander and a few more obscure lenses like Avalon. These are coupled. No adapters needed. There should be plenty of places on the net to get you the low down on these lenses. Because the M has live view, you should be able to find adapters for SLR lenses.

I thought SLR lenses won't fit because some of them stick too far into the camera and may hit the sensor?

You must use an adapter to put on SLR/DSLR lenses on the Leica M. That adapter must give the same lens to sensor/film distance as the original camera the lens was intended or it will not focus correctly. Most likely the lens will not focus to infinity as the M has a shorter mount as there is no mirror.

Thanks Flash,

In most cases I'd be zone focussing, so for the non-coupled lenses not having the RF focussing is not a show stopper for me. I'd probably end up getting the EVF, but still prefer looking through an optical view finder.

So if I understand you correctly, the lens adaptor needs to be for a certain focal length, and that would in effect set the frame lines on the body ?

For example, I've heard how some people file down the extended part of the ring of the Voigtlander 40/1.4 so they get 35mm framelines instead of 50mm framelines.

I've had a quick look for lens adaptors an they all seem generic (not specific to a particular focal length).

With Well Wishes,

Rob

Yep. It's the lens mount that brings up the frame lines based on the size of one of the flanges. I've never tried to modify one so I can't say if it's easy or not. You can buy LTM mounts that convert from Leica thread to Leica bayonet in the various focal lengths.

Gordon

One great thing about screw mount to M adapters is you can 6-bit code the adapter, so that the camera will apply color and vignetting correction. While it is true that the 6-bit code is very Leica centric, there are charts available for canon/voightlander/Zeiss/etc. lenses.

There are Leica and Chinese adapters, the price difference is extreme. But if you get a Chinese adapter make sure the adapter is 1mm thick, or focusing will suffer.

A number of M-mount lens lines were made by Minolta (for the CL/CLE), Konica (for the Hexer RF and a few others), Cosina for Zeiss and Voightlander and a few more obscure lenses like Avalon. ...
Do you perhaps mean Avenon? The same lenses (21/2.8 and 28/3.5) were also sold under the brand names Kobalux and Pasoptik.

Well, nine years is long enough for any thread to snooze. Has anyone come up with a way to 6 bit encode the CV lenses to be read by the Leicas or do we just enter the lens manually? Since I have been successfully encoding lenses with the LTM > M flange adapters I like being able to do this. Did CV agree not to put those six little dips on their flanges? Anybody have a working solution?

Well, nine years is long enough for any thread to snooze. Has anyone come up with a way to 6 bit encode the CV lenses to be read by the Leicas or do we just enter the lens manually? Since I have been successfully encoding lenses with the LTM > M flange adapters I like being able to do this. Did CV agree not to put those six little dips on their flanges? Anybody have a working solution?
Well I'm afraid it's a no from me, entering the lens manually seems to work.

I bought the pertinent adapter rings for L39 > M42 with the little dips in them for coding. And I coded my lenses and the Leicas read them just fine. But the profiles were off and I got dark and moody images. So now i do not use any coding and get just fine images. I am sure the 6-bit encoding works just fine on the specific Leica lens but I had bad luck with my non-Leica lenses. As usual, YMMV.

Back