Noob in search of a new compact

Fuddlestack

Regular
Hello, all.

I have been taking photographs since before Jack Ketch invented the cable release and digital since 2001 (when a modest Canon Ixus/Powershot cost more than a D90 does now). I already have a bunch of kit (see siggy), and the time has come to replace my rather clunky and disappointing Nikon Coolpix P5000. The new P7000 seems to perpetuate the same shortcomings, i.e. slow as a carthorse on Valium.

The things I need are full manual control including focusing, fast AF indoors, good image quality and high ISO performance. It also has to be around the same size as a P5000 so as to fit my Gigapan Epic.

I'm considering the Canon G11 or G12, maybe the former as the G12 will drive G11 prices down. I'm definitely not getting into 4/3, and I like lots of external controls. I'm also considering the Panny LX5 or the Canon S95, but so far they're outsiders.

Anyone have any comments or alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

JohnE

Hello and welcome Fuddlestack.

The only suggestion I would have for you is the Samsung EX1/TL500. It would always be my choice over the G series or the Nikon P series just because it starts at 24mm equivalent which suits my way of shooting. If you value a little more tele reach and don't need the extra at the wide end the G11/G12 will be the better option since the Samsung only goes to 72mm equivalent.

The reviews of these cameras make it clear that in terms of ISO and overall image quality there is little to choose between them.

If you don't mind a non-zoom lens you could also look at the Ricoh GR Digital III with a 28/1.9 lens.

Thanks for the welcome, all.

Olli, the Samsung looks quite good and I like the 24mm equiv, but that 72mm sets me back on my heels a bit - I'd prefer double that. This is going to be a general-purpose "I couldn't bring my SLR" camera, and in addition I need a moderate zoom for the Gigapan, where the idea is to capture 100-200 images robotically and assemble them into a deep-zoom pyramid-structure à la Silverlight. According to DP Review, the EX1's manual focusing screen is not accurate enough, and retaking that number of pics is a bit of a bore, especially if you've gone home before finding out.

Cheers

Welcome Fuddlestack AKA JohnE! I'm glad to see that you've already gotten some helpful feedback.;)

It's always interesting to see how we all make our decisions about cameras. I'm looking forward to your decision, as well as your involvement here.

Even after narrowing down your choice may I suggest you then check out the photos on Flickr .com in their various groups also any comments that may have been made in the discussion columns, and of course welcome from a fairly new member to this forum.

Even after narrowing down your choice may I suggest you then check out the photos on Flickr .com in their various groups also any comments that may have been made in the discussion columns, and of course welcome from a fairly new member to this forum.

Thanks, Pennyann. I've been mining DP Review, PBase and Imaging Resource. In the past I've usually found that a DP Review "Highly Recommended" is a good guide - I've bought cameras with just "Recommended" and been disappointed. Their new system is a bit harder to fathom, though...

I'm still not quite decided on a G12, but so far it's a bit ahead of most.

Back