North America Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

Models are getting better now we are a week out

blog

The models are better but, if I've reading things right, the forecast is...

1712087006468.png

Right now we're looking at a forecasted 20%-ish cloud cover and winds in the 15-25mph range. My inadequate support is going to be vibrating like crazy in those winds.

Still looking like I'll just sit back and enjoy the show. Might try to get a crowd shot if there are a group taking images.

Right now we're looking at a forecasted 20%-ish cloud cover and winds in the 15-25mph range. My inadequate support is going to be vibrating like crazy in those winds.

Still looking like I'll just sit back and enjoy the show. Might try to get a crowd shot if there are a group taking images.
Swap you a sturdy tripod for a round trip ticket to Arizona...

I had to work during the 2017 eclipse. And no where near the optimal viewing area. But I was able to grab a few shots from my shop's parking lot. Instead of getting anything special for the eclipse. I just ordered a step up ring and threw my B+W 10 stop on a Fuji 50-230. This year I'm off work and where I live will be in a 99% totality area. And now I have a 15 stop ND filter.

My pac man shot
_PRO3836-XL.jpg

_PRO3843-XL.jpg

_PRO3852-XL.jpg

_PRO3875-XL.jpg

_PRO3882-XL.jpg

Shot of the sun today with my new solar filter. I also got a set of magnetic rings so I can take the filter off quickly. I have all but guaranteed cloudy skies by buying these items 😂

View attachment 459172
The Sun is very quiescent ATM, Bruce, as indicated by the almost total lack of sunspots in the tropical zones.

This has profound ramifications for the weather on Earth, regardless of what the UNIPCC HCCC fanatics say about this phenomenon.

Calling for partly cloudy to thunderstorms in the afternoon here in the Dallas/FT Worth area. Forecasts can always change.
I don't live too far from you, in Granbury. In Acton, which is right next door, they are planning a watching event at the Acton Nature Center. I am going, but not really to shoot the eclipse, but more to shoot the folks watching the eclipse. Cloudy or not, I am still going and see how it plays out.

I'm like 3000 km off track but have a sunny forecast for much of Monday and an idea for a composite which might be interesting. So just pulled gear in case the fog lifts off in time.

Is it possible?! This morning's forecast...
Probably the model's estimating a cooler ground surface will reduce convection, inhibiting cloud formation. I've also had higher clouds expand dramatically during an eclipse and then clear off later, though—pretty and interesting and gives different light conditions but not conducive to standard approaches to eclipse photography.

Current forecast is to clear off just enough and just in time to view. I may be shooting through light overcast, not sure. Leaving in about 2 hours to try and get there before the rush, the amount of news coverage this is getting is insane.

Back in 1999 I went to Belgium to get a better view of our local eclipse. On the morning it was due to happen our skies where 100% cloud cover & the campsite emptied rapidly...
About 10 minutes before totality the clouds parted leaving just a little haze & giving us a view of the action. :)

Those who stayed in the UK had no such last minute luck.

Back