Leica Not bad for a 16 year old 5mpx digital camera

sh0wtime

Veteran
Name
Adam.
I know the Digilux2 has been sneered at for being old tech & basic, well tbh it is old & slow but it has that wonderful Vario Summicron lens & the JPG's are lovely SOOC.
Think of it like a classic car, only take it out on a sunny day when you are in no hurry (y)

7499967280_046f7f6832_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My first digital camera was a Digilux 1 and I wish I'd never sold it - it was a lovely 4.3MP little camera. It rekindled my interest in photography. There was a free copy of Photoshop Elements included at the time.

You'll never catch me sneering at an old Digital Camera....

The images speak for themselves. I would be interested in seeing the color originals.
My oldest Digital in regular use is the M8. But my oldest working Digital cameras- over 25 years old.

Thanks- at least on the M8, the onboard JPEG engine has more information to work with than what is stored in the DNG. The M8 DNG file stored to the SD card is compressed using a truly bad algorithm. The In Camera JPEG is based on the uncompressed raw image.

After reading on the Digilux 2: sounds like the in-camera JPEGs are better than what people could get using the Raw images.

I had the Panasonic version of the Digilux2. In fact I sold it then bought one back again. Superb lens and camera.

I've been looking a lot through my archived images and I have found that some of the best images that really jump out at me were taken with the Epson RD-1. I had a few of them. It was a really remarkable camera.

My M8 has a Zero-Defect CCD in it: I've been shooting "button dance" raw mode with it for 7 years now. I will shoot with the M9 and M Monochrom until they cannot be repaired anymore. CCD imagers have advantages and disadvantages. The research-grade sensors use CCD/CMOS hybrids, CCD for collecting the image and on-chip CMOS for processing. Things have progressed since the 1980s- when I used to do that stuff.

Heh. Had to go do a lookup on the differences between CCD & CMOS in this situation. Turns out the first digital I bought - a Canon A590 had a 8mp CCD in it but you couldn't have told the difference by me. It was for ebay and other such stuff, not "real" photography. Really wasn't that bad a little camera and only gave up the ghost a year or so ago when the lens door got stuck.

Back