not with a bang ...

pdh

Legend
Well its all very quiet here ... The power went off about an hour ago probably as a result of some weather (its been a bit gusty and rainy today) so no light no tv no broadband ... But I do have a few hundred meg of data available on my phone contract and three charged batteries :D ... I suppose in them olden days we could have gathered round the pianoforte for entertainment. ...

Hehehe
I like it.
The quiet of no electrical apparatus !

Even when on standby it adds background even if you can't hear it overtly.

Of course its fun only as long as my fridge stays cold or I don't want more than a pan of hot water ...

Or of course as Barrie says not fun if you're up a pole somewhere.

Seems pretty widespread can't see many lights across the vale. Though how come the streetlamp outside is still on?

This happens quite a lot in Spain where we have a little house. I don't mind it myself as I won't have to listen to the footy games that are on the tv that has been brought outside for the evening! What I really, really hate is when they turn off the water........

In '03 were were part of the big blackout that hit much of the northeast of the continent. My family was away on vacation. It was fun in a lot of ways; lots of neighbourhood BBQs, people actually having conversations etc. On the downside there was a tiny foretaste of just how vulnerable we are. Our food supply chain, and almost every part of modern life, can only exist as we know it for a short time.

But yes, a nice little power cut now and again is good for us.

You are so right ... What we laughingly call civilization hangs by a thread and a few electrons.

And on that cheerful note I think I'll go to bed and listen to the radio. The battery is fully charged thank heavens

Ah, the old days huddled around a cell phone with data space and a few spare batteries. Wasn't that part of a Lassie plot once?:D I was out for six days earlier this summer so you have my sympathy.

This is starting to sound like the beginning of a great post-apocalyptic story. Man, I love those fictional stories... with or without zombies (anyone read "The Passage"?).

It is scary to think how they could happen in reality... I can't remember the name of the book now, but there was a fairly recent book about the 1918 Influenza Pandemic. It was interesting how quickly basic things like mail delivery stopped in some areas. At least back then, I think most people were more independent for their food... gardens, canning, etc.

Wow, on that note, everyone have a wonderful day/night! [heading out to the store to pickup a 50 lb bag of rice and a hand-crank generator] :D

P.S. hope the lights are back on for ya soon!

It's a daily occurrence in Puerto Rico. Usually for a few minutes or an hour at most, unless it is caused by a serious meteorological event, in which case it can last for days.

thanks Antonio ... there are great stretches of the world where electricity can't be taken for granted (or even taken) and it's a measure of the rarity of such an event in England that I even bothered to post (that and being bored) ... as for zombies, there are quite enough who come out in the daylight hereabouts to need to worry about them appearing after dark ...

Well I'm now 4 hours into another power cut.
Since electricity distribution was privatised it seems impossible to find out anything useful .
I've just checked both websites for the most likely candidates for round here and I can find their share prices, their corporate structures, their community policies and endless similar 'information' .
What is sadly lacking is any data about service disruption or even how to contact them in an emergency.
Ah! The joy of unfettering The Market ...

Back