Nothing but Gas

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I had some minor surgery recently. I'm fine, but it came with an extended period (four weeks and counting) of nausea and limited eating. Since I can't do much but sit around and read/surf the net, I discovered a demo RX10 at Adorama for $579 and of course caved in. I've always been very curious about this as a travel camera to places like Disney where primes are just too cumbersome. It arrives tomorrow.

If I didn't have small hands I'd be all over an RX10. I've tried them at camera shows and retailers and they're just too big for me. Great shame as it would be a very handy camera. Interested to hear how you get on.

In case anyone was curious....gas is contagious....I just caught some from Steve.

I'm not going to act on it right this moment, but I think tomorrow afternoon may find me photographing some gear to list for sale. It probably makes more sense to have a single camera sitting idle, rather than multiple bodies and sundry lenses ;)

The RX10 have come down enough in price to be within range. Sony has this habit of leaving the older models in the line-up for lower prices, e.g., the RX100 series. I blame Biro for getting one for his birthday and starting all this up.:p

In case anyone was curious....gas is contagious....I just caught some from Steve.

I'm not going to act on it right this moment, but I think tomorrow afternoon may find me photographing some gear to list for sale. It probably makes more sense to have a single camera sitting idle, rather than multiple bodies and sundry lenses ;)

What a great idea, Luke. Think I'll do the same :). Then again, I have been thinking the same for months and months. LOL!

It came in today. A few observations:
1. Holy Smokes! What a whopper of a lens. A great f2.8 8.9-73.3 mm hunk of glass. It was nice of Sony to stick that little camera body on the back. Hefty, but I learned to shoot with my left hand under the lens and then it works just fine. A bit on the heavy side but no big deal on a neck strap and it's nice to use for actual shooting, as opposed to a pocket rocket that is nothing to carry but harder to use for shooting.
2. Sony menus. I have to get used to hitting OK to adjust the setting rather than using the d pad. I'm still looking for how to move the AF point on the fly.
3. Sitting in my basement/man cave shooting at 3200 2.8 1/25 s. Impressive results for a 1 " sensor. I'm dying to try it in real light.
4. I've had better evf but this is more than acceptable. The LCD is really nice. I'll be curious to see it in daylight.

I have to shoot with it. This one is going to be bang or bust, but so far it looks good.

I've compared all three RX10 marks side by side in the store. Yes, 600mm is nice but the Mark III is a big camera. The Mark I and II versions are much more comfortable.

If I know I'm going to need more reach, that's when I'll default to micro four thirds with the 100-300mm zoom (600mm FOV at the long end). But 24-200mm at a constant f/2.8 covers just about everything except wildlife.

The RX10 is a fun, all-around camera. Image quality is very good. I'm continually amazed by what that one-inch sensor can put out. The Mark I version has the same BSI sensor that's in the RX100 II and III. 20mp is enough to allow for some cropping.

Lately, I've been using the RX10 to video my nephew at a number of Cub Scout events (not sports). Things like the Pinewood Derby. As I mentioned above, unless you need 4K, video is outstanding.

The Mark II offers a better EVF, some autofocus improvements and 4K video - but costs nearly twice as much.

Another option in the same price range as the Mark I is the Panasonic FZ1000. It offers a better EVF and a 25-400mm zoom. But the lens is f2.8-4.0 and you give up weather resistance to the RX10.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the RX10, despite the model being a few years old.

A few shots. There are also flower shots I just posted in the Show Flowers thread. #2 is the 24 equiv and #3 is 200 equiv.
Dante-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

george1-L.jpg
painter-L.jpg
snake-L.jpg

statue1-L.jpg

Back