Tripods Now.... here's what you call a travel tripod.....

Clever idea but I'm totally unconvinced. I couldn't help noticing how it was moving around in the video while the guy was adjusting the camera. Looks like one good breeze would have it wobbling all over the place.

You have a point there, as the legs do not look that strong, but it is a clever idea.
I carry a little table tripod around in my coat pocket, but Im thinking the old camera adage applies to tripods as well - 'the best tripod is the one you have on you?'

Does anyone know if "Stitz Hi-Low angle HL-31Q" is worth getting, just seen one on a forum for sale? Wasn't really thinking of a tripod, but for £10, might be worth getting, as it is dark on the way home and I will need something for those riverside shots that Im planning..

I have seen these in the flesh. A great idea but there are shotcomings. There is no way to level the tripod that I can see, its legs are rather thin and it wobbles like a jelly on springs, and while it springs open quickly like a blind-person's cane, it is slow to put back as it is a bit of a jack-in-the-box.

It's getting pretty decent reviews on German Amazon. It's also more expensive in the U.S. than over here, quite unusual.

The problem as I saw one of these in the store and put a camera on it, is that it's only fairly stable up and down, it's very springy when twisting the camera side to side.

This looks way too flimsy to me. I'd rather have a bit more weight. my tripod wasnt exepsnive and it comes with its own carrybag that I can sling over the shoulder if necessary. I think I'd find a gorillapod (or one of its chinese clones) more useful

Problem is.... when my wife and I are out fell walking etc, you need to wrap a gorilla pod around something like a tree or post, this limits the situations you can use a pod... and I dont want to be carrying a full tripod even if it comes in a bag.... this seems the ideal solution for true 'compact' cameras.

Many of the negative comments on the blog sites are... "When I join up my DSLR and big lens it seems too flimsy" :doh:... Well I'll only be using an LX5/D-lux3 with filters... so it should be fine... I think you have to choose the right pod to match the camera and shooting situation...:)

The best budget friendly travel tripod is no longer in production. Sadly, the Manfrotto Modo Maxi 785 is the best tripod I've ever used for small cams, and can no longer be purchased.

The best budget friendly travel tripod is no longer in production. Sadly, the Manfrotto Modo Maxi 785 is the best tripod I've ever used for small cams, and can no longer be purchased.

Mate I'd keep an eye on the Velbon series. In my down-sizing I traded my not-so-portable-but-oh-so-steady Manfrotto (Bogen) 055XProB with Giottos MH-3300 for the Velbon Ultra Rexi-L (with Joby Ballhead-X) the combo is very light (1.31kgs (2.9 pds)) and compact (36cm (14.2") folded and extendable to 153cm (60.2")!) performs great in the field.

I'll hold onto this even when the dSLR goes. Highly recommended.

:):):) and I have one :)

Amazon.com: Bogen - Manfrotto Modo Maxi Black Tripod Legs with Hybrid Joystick Ball Head with Manfrotto MBAG Tripod Bag: Camera & Photo

I think I got mine for 75 USD. No, its not the latest and greatest carbon fiber. It only holds 2.2lbs. But, the head is really smooth. It folds down really small. Fits into a regular backpack which means great for hiking. Mine has fallen 12 ft down to some rocks while hiking and survived(luckily, camera wasn't on it) It's been wet from rain and survived. For the 75 bucks I paid, its pretty well made. I've even put a 5lb set of binoculars on it and it worked just fine. Was actually less top heavy than my E-P1 with a larger lens.

When I first brought this tripod up on various forums, it was scoffed at because it doesn't have a seperate head/tripod leg attachment. It was inexpensive, so it must be cheap.

I've seen them in person... I wouldn't recommend.. way too flimsy.

Its basically a bunch of poles from a dome tent made into a tripod.

Well... it has arrived.... first impression ultra-lite.... literally, takes seconds to erect to its 44" height.... and seconds to fold away...

For a carry around 'in the field' pod for a true 'compact' camera, its fantastic !!!

View attachment 40921 View attachment 40922

So many pod's overpower a small compact camera, and they can look somewhat ridiculous when erected, however this is not one of them... and when the EVF on my LX5 is put to the upright position it makes composition so much easier, it may look 'flimsy' and you may laugh at the tent pole style legs, but it seems very stable to me and I can see this as a permanent inclusion to my carry around compact equipment :2thumbs:

Back