Now On Sale - "a single in january" (UPDATED...2 versions of book)

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
2012-05-23_0049.png

There may be some lurkers and some newer members who weren't around on the website in January of this year. So allow me to tell about a little project we did. Stillshunter introduced us to a concept that has been done in a few other places. It was to help hone our photographic eye and combat GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It was called "A Single In January". Everyone who participated selected one camera and one lens and shot one photo a day. It seemed simple enough, but there were many challenges along the way. It was nearly equal parts fun and challenging with people being very supportive of each other and trying to pick each other up when we were ready to quit. I was pretty new to the forum at the time and I couldn't believe how great the group was. After it was over, I was relieved to have the stress gone, but I missed the regular flow of great images I saw every day in the gallery. I decided that a book needed to get made. So I threw the idea out there and hoped someone would make a book. It turns out everyone loved the idea, but no one was coming forth to make the book.

While it's nearly June now, but I finally got it done. It doesn't look half bad, but that is more to the credit of fantastic vision of the photographers, rather than some great gift for layout of mine. Anyways, you can see a TON of great images right here in the gallery...... Single in January - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery or if you like to curl up with a good book (you know the kind made out of paper that you set out on your coffee table to show guests what great taste you have), you can now order one from the Blurb website. I haven't added anything to the price and ask nothing for my time. I saw it as a way to give back those who were supportive of me finding my way through the month. I feel like this forum is a second home.

I just ordered a soft cover copy for myself. I should have it in around 2 weeks if you want to wait for a review. But it should be good to go if you can't wait. You can view it in the bookstore here ....... a single in january | By members of SeriousCompacts.com | Category: Arts & Photography | Blurb

I have finished the version with credits on the photo pages themselves. That version is available here...... Single in January w/ credits on page | Photo book preview

Thanks Otto for the help in getting the cover images sorted out, thanks to Will for the brilliant cover design, Thanks to Mark for the lovely Foreword, and thanks to all of you for sharing your wonderful images and making the book (and the month we spent together) a thing to be proud of.

Stillshunter just found out about a discount code for 30% off.....type in DERBY to enjoy this discount if ordered before May 31st.......I wish I had known about this.....hurry and get your order in now.

I hope you enjoy it.

Luke

Thanks Luke, Otto, Mark and Will!! And all the folks that contributed their photos!!

I ordered the hardcover with the wrap around! It'll be an excellent coffee table book! I think Blurb should make the e-version free if someone buys the print version.

Just ordered mine as well. Thanks Luke and everyone who made this possible. Looks like a terrific book!

Very nice work everyone. Just bought the iPad version and browsed through it. For those of you who were so intimately involved in the project, the book is probably a bit anti-climatic. But for someone viewing almost all of the photos with fresh eyes, it's a real treat with a lot of really fine images. I was able to guess a surprising number of the photographers before going back and checking the index. Impressive that so many have developed styles that i could so often tell who'd shot what. Very enjoyable - I look forward to spending more time with this book in the coming days. Thanks for all of your work.

-Ray

Luke, we'll leave the light on. Just come on in!

My wife, the dogs and I will be driving through your beautiful state this autumn on a roadtrip to visit a brother who lives in Charleston, SC and another that lives in HOT-lanta, GA. We've got a lot of ground to cover in a short period of time, but if there's time in our schedule, I'll give you a holler.

I'll put that on my bucket list.....visit everyone who participated in their hometown so I can get them to sign it for me......MEGA frequent flier miles!
Mate there's always a door ajar and a cold brew or two in the fridge when you make your way to Oz. Great work, you herded us cats real well. I doff my flat-cap to you brother. Also Otto and Will...top work fellas! (y)

This is SO cool! Luke an amazing job done. Wish I were a part of it too.
Keep your eyes peeled on the Forum, as I suspect the next "Single in..." challenge is only months away ;)

@All - great to see a vision realised. A collective back-pat to us all.

oh bloody hell ... choices ... I love dust-jackets but i also like a library-bound book ...

(anyone who is thinking of saying "buy both" , remember petrol is £6.35 a gallon here and I just filled up the car ...)

Keep your eyes peeled on the Forum, as I suspect the next "Single in..." challenge is only months away ;)

Mark will that be when it's winter here again in the northern hemisphere?

remember petrol is £6.35 a gallon here and I just filled up the car ...

Paul, you're supposed to fill the tank, not the car, you use a lot more otherwise and so it costs more

Seriously guys, well done, a great effort, Mark for starting us off and keeping us on track and Luke, Otto and Will for rounding things off nicely.

Barrie

As long as we're all handing out "thanks", I'd like to send one out to BB for her constant kind words. It seems impossible, but I think she commented on every photo (Stillshunter may have, too.....and I gotta admit I tried, but I missed a bunch when I went on a weeklong vacation). But her comments on mine were always so expertly timed. She was always reading between the lines in my shots and knew just when I was ready to quit the whole thing and gave me an extra dose of "you can do it". If it weren't for her prodding and encouragement, this book would never have gotten done.

And another thanks to everyone for being so cool to work with and for sharing their vision and those great photos.

There had been some talk earlier in the planning stages and some folks had asked for a version of the book with credits on the actual photo page so they wouldn't need to flip back and forth between the photos and the credits section in the back. I still plan on doing that version too. I'll probably get that one loaded up next week.

Back