Now On Sale - "a single in january" (UPDATED...2 versions of book)

Despite the Fedex tracking suggesting a delivery date of 7th June a white van came up the lane a few minutes ago, there was a banging at the door and there it was. It would seem to be well put together (hardback), only requires a small coffee table :), but is a very fitting tribute and reminder of the month. Thinking back on the month some peoples choice surprises me but that's the nature of choice. It's good to see the photographs shown at higher resolution than we were able to on screen.

A heartfelt well done to all concerned, and a tribute to the forum.

Barrie

ah synchronicity is a wonderful thing as mine just arrived too Barrie! Though the driver had to ring me up to find out where I am ...

I'm ridiculously pleased with it ... it's the sort of book I'd pick up in a bookshop and want to own, jammed with really excellent images ... and it smells gorgeous

Our Book

There you go Luke

1050241.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

I really enjoy the book. I like the layout, and browsing through the images brings back fun memories. Still my own shots didn't come across to me as nice as I remembered them. I've chosen my two images, because they had a similiar style. They were very dark, but still had lots of subtleties in the range from black to dark grey. Those came out great on my home printing of those shots, but are lost in the Blurb prints. Too much black, too little dark grey. That's a pity, but in the end, as a book to remind me of a very fun month, it's great.

Marlof, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought your images were really dark, but thought that was what you were going for. On my laptop (mass-produced garbage) lots of stuff lacks mid-range tones so I assumed that was just the way it was. I didn't alter any of the images. I guess yours were just darker than the rest. I'm glad you are still able to enjoy it on some level. Since they printed out fine for you at home, you should just stick your copies inside the book ;)

No worries, Luke. They were really dark, that's what I was going for, and that came out. It's just the little extra nuances I'm missing. I can be peculiar about stuff like that. It took me quite a while to find out how to edit my shts for my printer, so I'm well aware that I can run into things like this, with typical subjects like in my photos. Anyhow, it's something to take into consideration next time I'll order from Blurb. And that I probably will, because I liked the print quality in general.

Got my hardcover book like Barrie's today! It was definitely much more enjoyable looking at the photos in the book than in the iPad or computer.

I thought the printing process had difficulties with shades of colors. So areas with lots of transitions of colors such as in a blue sky with various levels of blue looked choppy with lots of dots (i.e. p. 34).

What type of paper is the paperback version of the book printed on? Glossy or matte? The hardcover one is matte. I'm wondering if there's a difference in print quality between the paperback vs. hardcover editions. Anyone has seen both?

I thought the printing process had difficulties with shades of colors. So areas with lots of transitions of colors such as in a blue sky with various levels of blue looked choppy with lots of dots (i.e. p. 34).

Armando, I could be wrong here, but I believe the image on page 34 looks like that on the screen as well. I think that stuff came about during the processing of the original photo (the photographer could correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe if you didn't select a different premium paper type at the time of ordering the book, that both the softcover and hardcover use the same paper. The print quality should be the same on either one (although they are done at different times on different machines) so there will likely be variations in print quality.

I know very little about printing, but I think what you are seeing in that example on page 34, everyone is seeing.

Thanks Luke. I do think what I'm seeing is likely what everyone is seeing. I was just wondering if this is a situation where a printer has limited ability to create more hues of the same color without resorting to just adding more "white dots" to make different shades of colors.

I don't remember if chose premium paper. I ended up paying something like $40+ for the book. So chances are that I probably paid for premium. The paper quality is pretty good. I was just wondering if there was a glossy version, because it's my understanding that sometimes, certain print jobs will look better in glossy paper vs. matte paper. Although I'm definitely no printing expert for sure!

Back