Now that the dust has settled, what are you waiting/looking for?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Now that we have had a massive avalanche of cool camera releases this year, what are you waiting for -- either announced, or rumored, or maybe already shipping, but you can't yet afford?

I was waiting for the Fujis, but now I don't think they are for me. The NEX new bodies don't interest me. The RX100 was the surprise of the year for me -- I wasn't planning on getting that one, but I did. The new Pen bodies are interesting, but Oly prices drop quickly, so I'll wait them out. Nikon D600 interested me, but I'm OK with my 5D for now.

I think the only thing I'm waiting for (and have on pre-order) is the NEX 35/1.8 AF lens. I'm a sucker for "normal" lenses, so I'm going to give it a whirl, though I have my doubts, not finding many of their AF lenses to my liking. But that's about it. I'm pretty much set and shooting with my current stable -- 5D w/28, 85 and 70-210, EPL3 w/17 and 20 (deciding which to keep), NEX5n with CV 40 and RX100. I think only a mirrorless FF 50mm would get me to spend more.

What about you? Are you happy with what you have, or are you waiting/hoping/saving for something shipping/announced/rumored?

Happy with my Ricoh GXR, but I want to know what the future holds for the system and for Ricoh cameras in general. They have not had any news in more than a year.

hmmm I'm probably not going to wait for these to appear, but I'd like to see a weatherproof Panasonic GX2 or similar, with a weatherproof 20/1.7 (which is not going to happen)

Other than that, a high-quality waterproof compact (with raw capability and a faster and / or longer zoom than currently available) is really missing from the marketplace.

In reality I'll probably be getting one of the current CSCs, with the E-M5 looking the most likely candidate at the moment, along with an Olympus TG-1 and some cheap travelzoom camera.

[edit] Luke, if that X200 of yours is as small as the X100 and is weatherproof, sign me up for one!

I'm waiting on the Fuji 23mm f2 (or is it 1.4?), But I'm still debating with myself as to whether is it worth it or not. I'm a one focal type of person and it's always been a toss up between a 35 and a 50. I am quite content with the current 35 1.4 (52mm equiv) but there are times where is just feels a "bit tight". I haven't taken any images lately as I have severely injured my ankle and am out of action for awhile and shooting images when your mobility is limited really tests what can you fit into a frame, hence I'm finding the famelines of the 35 a bit tight.

I guess is depends on a couple of factors: How good will the 23mm be? or Once I start being able to get up and about again, I may change my mind and just stick with the 35mm.

Fuji 14, 23, 27, and 56. When those are released I will sell off the Nikon FF gear and buy a second Fuji body. Right now I would miss my 35mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.4 too much. It would be hard for me to be happier with a camera than the Fuji's. I even bought a low shutter count S5 Pro so I would still have a DSLR in case I had withdrawal symptoms.....:). For that one I'll keep two Nikon lenses I like since it uses a Nikon mount. It's actually a really amazing camera. It writes very slow but the highlight recovery is nothing short of staggering. Check this out:

ryanbrenizer: S5 Pro Review Part 1B: Dynamic Range Stress Test

I'm waiting on the Fuji 23mm f2 (or is it 1.4?), But I'm still debating with myself as to whether is it worth it or not. I'm a one focal type of person and it's always been a toss up between a 35 and a 50. I am quite content with the current 35 1.4 (52mm equiv) but there are times where is just feels a "bit tight". I haven't taken any images lately as I have severely injured my ankle and am out of action for awhile and shooting images when your mobility is limited really tests what can you fit into a frame, hence I'm finding the famelines of the 35 a bit tight.

I guess is depends on a couple of factors: How good will the 23mm be? or Once I start being able to get up and about again, I may change my mind and just stick with the 35mm.

Back when I bought my first film SLR in the mid-1970's (a 100% manual Minolta SRT-200) I got by with one lens - the 50mm f/2.0 Rokkor-X prime - literally for years. But my favorite focal length on a 35mm camera was 35mm. Today, I still like 35mm or the equivalent. But you know what? I like 40mm even more. In fact, for me, 40mm or equivalent is just about perfect for me. Not too wide and not too tight. That's why I love the Lumix 20mm f1.7 pancake on my micro four-thirds cameras.

But what am I waiting for as we near the end of 2012? Probably a Panasonic GX2 or an Olympus Pen E-P3 replacement with built-in EVF. Weather resistance would be even better but I can live without that. After that, maybe big price cuts on Fuji's X100 or X-E1. Or on Sony's RX100.

But, at the end of the day, the camera I really want right now is the Sony RX1. Yeah, like that's going to happen. :rolleyes:

Possibly a Canon SX50... and perhaps an Oly E-PM2 with 14/20/45 lenses...

If Panasonic (or someone) were to come out with a quality WCON for the LX7, I'd give that combo serious though.

It comes down to $$, though, and there simply isn't enough. :dash2:

The updated version of the NEX-7 in the hope that the current model will be going for a couple of hundred dollars off so I can justify buying it. Also waiting for the E-mount 35 and interested in the 10-18 particularly in light of the excellent review at LL. I'd also like to see an affordable 24 and something like a 16-50 f2.8-f4.

I think the dust settled for me in April when both the X-Pro and then, a couple weeks later, the OMD showed up and I was able to get both of them very quickly (being in NYC for the month). Those cameras were exactly what id been waiting for, it turned out, and I haven't wanted, even vaguely, any other camera since outside of the compact segment. I'm still interested in new lenses - I'll probably get the Fuji 14 and will probably get one of the new fast 35mm equivalent lens's from Olympus or Fuji (but not both and I'm not sure which yet). But otherwise, it's hard for me to imagine what else I'd want in a system camera.

The RX100 really blew the doors off of the compact segment, so the dust has just been stirred up there and will take a good while to settle. I never warmed up to the RX100 at all, despite its amazing sensor, but knowing what's possible now has me in a holding action with the X10 as the best compromise for me at the moment, but I know at some point in the next year or so some other compacts will show up with sensors to compete with the RX100 in functional cameras I actually like and I'll probably have to try a few of them before I settle. But that segment now appears to have the capability to change the way I carry and shoot about 75-80% of the time, so I'm anticipating a big year and a big shake out in those cameras.

But for system stuff, the cameras I've wanted are well and fully HERE and I'm thrilled with the OMD and X-Pro every time I take one out and shoot.

-Ray

Waiting for a Medium Format kit, with an 80mm lens to hit about $5000.

The next couple of days I've hired me a D800 body with a 24-70 and a 50mm, to try and see if I enjoy the shooting experience.

I'm waiting to see if the RX100 can deliver good enough results to be my primary camera.
Going on a trip in January where I'm going it bring it along with a (non-Merrill) Sigma DP.

Oddly buying the RX100 has pretty much sated my GAS for now, hopefully it'll last a while :)

I bought the RX100 almost a month ago, and after 1200 shots I'm entirely convinced this can be my only camera. The only thing that sometimes limits me is dof control, but for the kind of pictures I do these days that's no big deal. I can't afford to keep anything else at the moment, so I'm selling the rest of my gear. We'll see what 2013 will bring.

I'm looking forward to the new Oly 17/1.8. Peeved that it only comes in silver though. I suppose Oly will release it in black later as a special edition for $300 extra.

A new Pen with built in EVF would be awesome.

RX200 with a 24-100 equivalent lens f1.4-2.5 lens. And built in OVF.

RX1 to sell for $799.

M4/3 versions of the Oly 12-60/2.8-4 and 50-200/2.8-3.5.

Fuji to REALLY improve the AF of the XPro1/XE1 series and use a faster processor.

A 9mm Glock or Sig Sauer. Maybe .40 instead.

In a world of apparent technical superiority of Fuji or Sony sensors, my favourite camera of the year for IQ is still the Canon G1X. That being the case, Canon turning the development of the EOS M system up to 11 and making some genuinely competitive bodies and a decent range of lenses would get my attention. A camera that makes an image like the G1X but with the ability to change lenses, an EVF, and a faster and more refined operation would be legend...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

...dary!

But who knows, maybe the magic is in the all-in-one approach.

Back