Canon Now this is interesting . . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I notice that DXOMark has just published its measurements on the new Canon G15. DXOMark's review did not explicitly compare the G15 with the G12, so I used the compare cameras function to do so. You can see the results below.

CanonG12G15compare.JPG

What I find particularly interesting is that Canon changed sensors from CCD (G12) to CMOS (G15). The G15 does not have the (Candle symbol) Low Light Mode that the G12 has. The G12's low light mode uses pixel binning to boost the ISO, while dropping resolution to 2.5 megs and improving signal to noise ratio.

The G12 has pixel pitch of about 2 micrometers. Binning the pixels combines signal from four pixels so they behave as one, effectively producing a pixel pitch of 8 micrometers (which is better than any of the new full frame slrs, in terms of pixel pitch). I think that is a good thing for signal-to-noise, at the sacrifice of resolution. I note that if you press the FUNC SET button while in Low Light Mode, it brings up a menu for setting the ISO up to 12,800.

Lately, I have really been enjoying the low-light capabilities of my G12. Here's a sample, taken with the Low Light Mode just last night at ISO 400, f4, 1/160 sec, 71.7 mm equivalent focal length.

low_light_G12_004-001_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers, Jock

Hmm if I remember correctly, the DXOMark test isn't influenced by resolution (at least for the ISO test), so I'd think pixel binning shouldn't have a positive influence either?

The only point where the G12 is better than the G15 is in the color depth department... I've seen several people say CCD sensors are better with colours than CMOS sensors, although I don't know how true that is.

Nice evening sky, I see the trees have lost their leaves over there too!

Bartjeej,

I don't think DXOMark specifically tested the pixel binning function, and many reviewers simply didn't mention it or glossed over it.

Many reviewers are saying that the G15 is quicker to autofocus than the G12. In the Low Light Mode, the G12 locks up on dim subjects pretty quickly, even with the autofocus illumination lamp turned off.

Thanks for the kind words about the evening sky. I was struck by the aircraft contrail illuminated by the setting sun.

Cheers, Jock

Back