Fuji Now where did I lay my checkbook?

Yep, that price range is right in the ballpark of Canon and Nikon. Something that will put it above the Canon and Nikon offerings is that on the Fuji sensor, it will act as a 300mm f2. Something neither of the big two currently offers. Combined with the amazing imae quality from Fuji lenses, it is bound to start drawing in Canon and Nikon shooters.

The lens in the article is not a mock up. It is a 100-400.

About the only things I've ever had sustained success at photographing with a long lens are airplanes, when I've had time to prepare myself and set up the shot. I saw a Bald Eagle in person for the first time ever yesterday. It came out of nowhere and I wasn't ready with the 50-230, so I just watched it fly for about 50 yards over the river before turning suddenly over the woods. It was far enough away that only the 100-400 would have had a chance at a great image, and that lens just doesn't make sense for me. I think I just need to resign myself to landscapes, butterflies & flowers, and the occasional song bird.

Yep, that price range is right in the ballpark of Canon and Nikon. Something that will put it above the Canon and Nikon offerings is that on the Fuji sensor, it will act as a 300mm f2. Something neither of the big two currently offers. Combined with the amazing imae quality from Fuji lenses, it is bound to start drawing in Canon and Nikon shooters.

The lens in the article is not a mock up. It is a 100-400.
Canon and Nikon crop sensor cameras (1.6x & 1.5x respectively) are commonly used for wildlife photography and that is one reason why :)

All of the people that I know shooting that stuff, which I know is not everyone, all use full frame bodies. 1DX/2 or 5D3/4 in Canon. And D4/5 or D750/800/810 in Nikon. But yes, they do have crop offerings from both companies which I overlooked.

All of the people that I know shooting that stuff, which I know is not everyone, all use full frame bodies. 1DX/2 or 5D3/4 in Canon. And D4/5 or D750/800/810 in Nikon. But yes, they do have crop offerings from both companies which I overlooked.

They are both quite popular. While you do usually get better quality (ISO performance, better results after cropping, etc), there are trade offs (size/weight, cost, etc). People use what fits their needs best.

The FL is still too short, even though they are marketing it as a 300mm FF FOV, and it likely will be compatible with existing AF TCs, it really needs to be a 250-260 to get a 400 FF FOV equivalent. It doesn't matter - the price is a low-volume mover. The gaps on the super tele side need to get filled, but first, improve Continuous AF in low light and low contrast situations.

On another note, Fujirumors has released some supposedly leaked prices for gear to be released tomorrow. The XF 80mm f2.8 OIS WR Macro is said to be a bit over $1,300 USD. Wow. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my XF 60 Macro.

On another note, Fujirumors has released some supposedly leaked prices for gear to be released tomorrow. The XF 80mm f2.8 OIS WR Macro is said to be a bit over $1,300 USD. Wow. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my XF 60 Macro.

Yep, I'll definitely be keeping my 60 and my extension tubes. At $1399 what are they thinking? We are made of money!!!! Way over-priced for a Macro, all the competitors are priced less than $1000. That was my limit I made for my decision on that lens and they are $400 over. So I will just be happy with what I have. That is until Fuji finds it appropriate to bring the price more into an affordable range. This lens will be for Macro aficionados specifically, I am not one. Just my opinion of course.

That is well over the price of the Canon MP-e65, and in the price range of the new Canon tilt shift macro lenses. For a little more than the price of the 80mm, one could buy a MP-e65 and a used 5D2 to have far more capable macro rig.

Yep, I'll definitely be keeping my 60 and my extension tubes. At $1399 what are they thinking? We are made of money!!!! Way over-priced for a Macro, all the competitors are priced less than $1000. That was my limit I made for my decision on that lens and they are $400 over. So I will just be happy with what I have. That is until Fuji finds it appropriate to bring the price more into an affordable range. This lens will be for Macro aficionados specifically, I am not one. Just my opinion of course.
While I do enjoy close focus photography from time to time, I'm not a Macro enthusiast. I was watching the news on the 80mm WR out of curiosity, but it is well beyond what I've ever spent for a lens, as well. I decided to spring for a mint condition Vivitar 135mm F2.8 Close Focusing lens today. It's a lens I had admired from afar back in the days when I was collecting Vivitar MF lenses, but never got around to getting one. Now that I've cleared out almost all of my MF gear, I thought I'd finally get one . . . and it was 1/10 the cost of the new Fuji 80mm.

Back