Micro 4/3 NYE w/the Panasonic LWA-52 wide angle attachment. &#%$&@#!#@@&(!!!!

tanngrisnir3

Regular
Just picked up the LWA-52 attachment at Samy's Camera on Fairfax in LA on Thursday, for my trip today the Owens Valley, and I thought I'd try it out last night before we left this morning. I should have opened the box at the store. The coating on the outer lens has a tear/scar in it, and, as you'll see, it showed up in the photos. Grrrrrrrrr....... To top it off, Samy's is closed on NYD (today). I won't be able to return it until Sunday. Eh, it's my first trip back to Bishop w/the LX5, so not all is lost.

The 18mm WA function is great, but it can be VERY frustrating in framing, since the camera disables any zoom function, and with the attachment on picks up a LOT more area in frame, often including things one doesn't want, esp. at the peripheries, so I had to aim (as you'll see) UP a lot. One can have it attached and disable the attachment setting in the menu, but I have not yet experimented w/that.

Sunset from Fort MacArthur (I think that's its name) looking at Catalina Island. The gap you see is the isthmus where the hamlet of Two Harbors is located.

P10002921lcsbl.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Korean Friendship Bell. I did nothing to this in PP except a wee bit of contrast work. The light really looked like this.

P10002972llsblcrop.jpg

Here's where the rip really shows, above the temple. Grrrrrrrrr........

P10002981lcsbl.jpg

Wow! I've been hearing about this attachment and a friend has been telling me that I should get it. Stunning shots!

You'll have to tell us much more when you can and show us more, too.:2thumbs:

I seem to be oblivious to the scar/tear you're referring to.:confused:

Thanks! If you look above the temple's lit-up apex stone, go to the top of the frame and then over to the right, you'll see an oblong dark space, and next to that a darker round area. THAT's what I'm talking about.

Ah, well, that's what keeping receipts are for. Off to to Bishop in about 5 minutes.

I've decided that it's well worth having, and, just like starting photography with a limited camera (the Panny FS7), the inability to zoom w/the attachment on forces one to frame more creatively. That is made MUCH easier, BTW, by using the EVF from Panasonic with the WA adapter.

(On edit)

You know what I just noticed? MASSIVE, unedited barrel distortion on the right side of the sunset pic. LR3 should touch that up.

One of the pics corrected for much distortion by an online acquaintance from DPReview. Again, I didn't do this, but I'm glad he did (as I don't use GIMP and don't know how)

292D4F726F4E48CCAB7512F940A03782.jpg

Tann... Wonderful images you have made!

On my recently purchased LX5, I have no problem zooming while the wide angle lens is on the camera. I wonder if they might have updated firmware since you got yours?

P1010210.jpg

Tann... Wonderful images you have made!

On my recently purchased LX5, I have no problem zooming while the wide angle lens is on the camera. I wonder if they might have updated firmware since you got yours?

P1010210.jpg

It won't zoom if you have it set to the WA attachment setting that the camera offers.

It can, of course, be zoomed if you don't set it, but I don't know what difference that will make.

Back