Film Obligatory Street Thread

Voigtlander Bessa R + Fuji APX and Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 (nice lens on film but I really didn't like it adapted on m43) from memory. Cropped in post.

000021.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

000001.JPG

I do think that there is a sense of intrusion on the face of the lady looking at the camera. A situation that I have never felt works and I guess one of the reasons I don't do street photography. Somehow Cartier-Bresson seemed to not have these issues but I am sure he did.

In these times you can walk around with a mobile phone taking pictures and hardly raise an eyebrow. Lift a camera to your eye and some people do feel an intrusion. If I'm out shooting a bit of street , I let people see me with my camera and avoid scampering away as soon as I take the picture. Shooting film is a good ice breaker when someone asks if you took their pic. They tend to take you as a person who is serious about photography. One thing I don't do , is get in a person's personal space. Bruce Gilden can , but hey ,maybe he's the John McEnroe of the street. Cheers.

They tend to take you as a person who is serious about photography. One thing I don't do , is get in a person's personal space. Bruce Gilden can , but hey ,maybe he's the John McEnroe of the street.

Agreed - I figured shooting in crowds (markets are nice and easy) was a good way to gain confidence in street shooting - I can see why Gilden & Winogrand hung out at intersections or did loops of city blocks to shoot - you get a far greater volume of traffic and shot opportunities.
Some shots work some don't - nowadays I actually find my market shooting tends to focus more on the produce (vibrant shapes & colours) than the people.

Not film:
ErxAzsOOV-gQKo9bKMtYj0iEY2I2CbnpNyjiLTWcS1VBKtMYEOAsa61-fb-lODeutqwsTRP-5kkaktEpRE=w1178-h883-no.jpg

Film:
9H4rs_rlQZirtMguAAZddhxgIdE6C4nv0Aqli131JJuV1GeRXlVt6a_s024dvblTFOlo2NcE7fuaU51JBaCTq_2W=s883-no.jpg

Agreed - I figured shooting in crowds (markets are nice and easy) was a good way to gain confidence in street shooting - I can see why Gilden & Winogrand hung out at intersections or did loops of city blocks to shoot - you get a far greater volume of traffic and shot opportunities.
Some shots work some don't - nowadays I actually find my market shooting tends to focus more on the produce (vibrant shapes & colours) than the people.

Not film:
View attachment 2016

Film:
View attachment 2017

It's amazing how a smile can really make a picture. The colour in the film shot looks really natural. Actually ,I think it's a great photograph.

It's amazing how a smile can really make a picture. The colour in the film shot looks really natural. Actually ,I think it's a great photograph.

Cheers - it looks like it was shot on an Olympus OM2 (probably with a winder) + Zuiko 50mm f1.4 + Fuji Reala 100 according to my album notes. I definitely have a soft spot for film rendering too - when it works, its hard to beat.

Nikon F3HP + Fuji Superia 400

fFnsWFueaK8tiTp6nAfB4A_JmEOpiMxhTDQ61sITE46hwmrpeGhXMW5_QIFYFCgfeG_JPhSyfj0E57gf7-g=w603-h899-no.jpg

Us86h2u0AqwF5aMrgmch2by_1ebFjRwOAxgpvDFCUh-pS_eU9Pr9tdoKr2zYDi2S_8HT6D2U3rJB9vl50A=w1240-h826-no.jpg

0sttePa40w4UB2NEq0w2R3oExRaNWb4mrk1ugPYqsx5W78TNRsBXLnN2Q8NHaZDO5q1ELZrK5x46wV6AhgM=w602-h899-no.jpg

Avr-z4pvwkU7PQfNjMhrfCsV7Zl211x5v6dhak8WGao9toP1M-Rf8eIcfZ_j9tGa5f6l1SnD32sy3HZdW8=w1240-h826-no.jpg

Olympus Pen FV + Fuji Superia 200

df1L3mblgiJAn8PQYMUyf1ZSORWn007oDxejuNwK_Uh0AXAC2vxJq9tC-rvC6v7Vh6REhyLmo-Aspc7hdwM=w608-h899-no.jpg

fRSjyPz8R4dIR-OSKm8EuHXQkRzDZUoK5L8XxUbQ6tXvQ3csKzlSnEoA1FRlgpO7xAp-kQHVaM8DB1j_KPQ=w607-h899-no.jpg

ogcASK9CAwJBPXL53qOFhUYa1beNK7bHOEeVEVRcbVIdd3ydvbiQpKNJ16erVb-gXfmiPmy8uDviEFpSB6c=w608-h899-no.jpg

P4kULXvqhpbbhLvTc_4kkio3mQV-Gb6-B8T9F0NPgWa4-ubJAoWJETNIYQLwrZG-0WwwC27Q8l0Rmzo4Reo=w608-h899-no.jpg

I own a pen ep5, but would really like to have a film pen. A different way of shooting with the portrait orientation.

Worth keeping an eye out for one. The vertical orientation does make your eye force-ably re-frame things or do a little wrist twist to get horizontal again. Try for an FV if you can, they have the brightest finder - most of this roll was shot using Sunny 16 with an occasional cross-reference of my handheld Sekonic meter - I'm getting better results than on my FT with a built-in (but not so great) meter. I need to find a Pen F, the one I bought has a frozen shutter - apparently a fairly common problem that I hadn't heard of before until I experienced the issue and went googling.

Worth keeping an eye out for one. The vertical orientation does make your eye force-ably re-frame things or do a little wrist twist to get horizontal again. Try for an FV if you can, they have the brightest finder - most of this roll was shot using Sunny 16 with an occasional cross-reference of my handheld Sekonic meter - I'm getting better results than on my FT with a built-in (but not so great) meter. I need to find a Pen F, the one I bought has a frozen shutter - apparently a fairly common problem that I hadn't heard of before until I experienced the issue and went googling.

Thanks for the info between the FV and FT. As you do , I use sunny 16 and sometimes cross-reference with an older Sixtar meter.

Back