Octoberfest Photofest - Prompt Submission Thread

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
For everyone that is participating in the Octoberfest Photofest Challenge (link to discussion follows), could you please submit 3 prompt/theme ideas, even if you do not plan to use this method. The prompts will be used, scavenger hunt fashion, by some and creative ideas for others. Thanks!

My submissions:

1. Agriculture (farm gate to dinner plate)
  2. On The Shelf
  3. Near and Far

Challenge discussion link:
https://www.photographerslounge.org...onth-long-prompts-challenge-12558/index7.html

Here's my three. I think I'm just going to do a straight Photo a Day so I feel no pressure, but I may use some of these as inspiration if I feel like i need a push.

1. little things can mean so much
2. a circle within a square
3. something dear to the shooter

On another forum I visit occasionally DPS (some of you might know it) there is a weekly photography challenge. They have a pretty good list and tutorials of how to accomplish a variety of shots that anyone wanting to scavenger hunt can use as inspiration. The 2012 archive begins here Archived Assignments . The posts are from the most recent challenge and backwards into 2009. You will be at no loss for ideas and even have a reference via their forum member's submissions. Pick a few or as many up to 30 -OR- create your own list. Personally, I don't want to restrict anyone since this photo exercise is all about just getting out and doing it and having fun in the process. If you feel you need to challenge yourself, do so. If you just want to let it happen, great. It can be just what you want it to be.

I think the biggest jam in creativity is thinking of ideas, that was what made the May Prompts fun, it gave you topics and forced you to think. It also frustrated many people and discouraged some from the get go from even joining in. Everything else is open in this photofest, this seems like it should be too. If people want to challenge themselves the archive is a good way without making everyone do it. I don't think we need this thread, but my opinion isn't the only one that matters. Let other's weigh in as they will :)

There were a couple people that indicated they were interested in prompts. I like the idea, Kristen, of grabbing the last 30 themes from your link, and then using that as our list. No one would have to use the prompt list, but some people could go through all 30 of them, if they wanted. Still open for everyone to do prompts, open pad, one camera/one lens, etc.

P.S. if the idea of grabbing prompts from another site does not appeal to the people originally interested in the prompts idea, I am cool with just going totally open... 30 photos over 30 days. Whatever will encourage the most participation is good by me!

One of the things I liked about the May challenge was seeing all the different interpretations of each prompts by each participant. So sure we can all choose our own prompts (for those wwho want to) and do our thing individually, but that make the "challenge" a bit pointless (to me).

I'd be ok with the last 30 prompts from Kristen's list, or anyone else's, but I'd prefer it to be the same for all the members who want to go for the prompts. Don't know if I'm making sense, if not just disregard my rambling. :D

One of the things I liked about the May challenge was seeing all the different interpretations of each prompts by each participant. So sure we can all choose our own prompts (for those wwho want to) and do our thing individually, but that make the "challenge" a bit pointless (to me).

My feelings exactly. The creative "pressure" of adapting to themes was quite stimulating to me, and what others did with them additionally so. But I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Maybe a sub forum in this challenge? It doesn't have to be big - the number of prompts equals the number of participants... Even if there's like only three of us, it's OK, we could (an should) aim for the quality and not solely quantity. The eventual spare time we could dedicate to daily photos.

If this complicate the logistic too much, then never mind, I' OK with any form and can learn through and enjoy any type of challenge.

Nothing says Octoberfest like beer:

1)
2-Guys-5-Beers-HP-M.jpg

2)
Peeing-HP-M.jpg

3)
546958767_yZa4D-M.jpg

I can set up some realistic but also challenging prompts for those that want prompts. Anyone that wants to respond to the scavenger hunt challenge can chime in on this thread letting other interested parties know who will be participating in that area of the photofest and then you will know who to keep any eye on, sound good? If so I will be back to give you some good stuff later, just be mindful that if you want a challenge, I will make it a challenge. I will not give you topics like red or dog ;). *The first 30 on that list aren't what I would call well rounded-- can do so much better.

Kristen, I think you are officially in charge of the prompts. And while I think that they are not for everyone....some want it to be low key, there will be more than enough that will use them to make it worth your time. My feel from those who have already chimed in is that they like seeing what others can do with the same challenge. And for every one person who HAS chimed in, there will be at least another one or 2 that hasn't yet.

And having one person come up with the list is easier and I think you have some experience in this area (and I like that you are taking it as a challenge to stump the group, too). Especially since the prompts are optional, I think they should be more challenge (or at least more open to "interpretation").

And Karen is right.....31 days in October.

Thanks for taking the lead on prompts, Kristen. I agree with you on avoiding the simple topics, gear dependant (e.g., 50mm), or too specific... I loved everyone's creative interpretations of the more abstract prompts in May.

I myself will most likely follow the prompts.

I can set up some realistic but also challenging prompts for those that want prompts. Anyone that wants to respond to the scavenger hunt challenge can chime in on this thread letting other interested parties know who will be participating in that area of the photofest and then you will know who to keep any eye on, sound good? If so I will be back to give you some good stuff later, just be mindful that if you want a challenge, I will make it a challenge. I will not give you topics like red or dog ;). *The first 30 on that list aren't what I would call well rounded-- can do so much better.

Sounds good. I think I prefer the challenge this will present. Thanks for taking it on!

Back