off to Africa!

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
When I joined here, I promised I'd regularly cross-post from Serious Compacts. That hasn't really happened much yet, but better late than never I guess!

I'm on an overland backpacking trip from my home in Holland to West Africa (I hope to reach Sierra Leone eventually). I'm currently in Southern Morocco, although both flickr and my blog are quite a bit behind. My main camera for the trip is a Fuji X100, although I also carry a Samsung EX1, a Sony HX9v and a Ricoh PX. A few from my Africa trip. Love the files of the X100, but the more I shoot with it, the more I realise that I see the world in a considerably wider angle. Still, as an all-purpose focal length, I think 35 to 40mm can't be beaten.

Anyway, here are some of my favourite pics yet.
12677432215_199f73538e_b.jpg

Volubilis, wildflowers take over by bartjeej, on Flickr

12678467784_be13dfd0ec_b.jpg

Rif village by bartjeej, on Flickr

12678086393_2c56c3188f_b.jpg

Ismael by bartjeej, on Flickr

More pics and stories on my blog, and many more pics on flickr!

I usually just post in one, then copy then entire post in the editor and use it on the other board, lol.

Nice shots and you have some great stuff to photograph for sure!

Thanks! There is indeed lots to photograph, but many Moroccans, and especially women, are very sensitive to being photographed, particularly when it's a man doing the shooting. People more bold than I go ahead and do it anyway, and often come back with great images, but I don't feel comfortable doing that; being a guest here, I really don't want to offend local sensibilities, so I tend to err on the safe side and have far fewer people shots than I'd like. I think I just have to ask for permission regularly and be prepared for plenty of rejection...

Bart, this has got to be an amazing experience on all levels. Thanks so much for these and for all your attempts to keep us up with what's going on with you in your travels! Looking forward to many wonderful images here, on SC and on Flickr.:drinks:

Thanks BB! It certainly is! Not always easy, but I'm having the time of my life nonetheless.

Meknes and Rabatare the less visited of the four Imperial Cities (the others being Fes and Marrakech), but they have their charms. Meknes has a traditional medina without the hassle, and Rabat in particular is the modern side of Morocco - the side many Moroccans aspire to.

The calm between the storms

12678003384_f324c960e6_b.jpg

shiny by bartjeej, on Flickr

12678017614_771992cc94_b.jpg

camel by bartjeej, on Flickr

12677590135_f676407c1e_b.jpg

Medersa scripture by bartjeej, on Flickr

12677432215_199f73538e_b.jpg

Volubilis, wildflowers take over by bartjeej, on Flickr

12677582173_a370a8154f_b.jpg

Volubilis by bartjeej, on Flickr

I'm sure I'm showing my unworldliness - that camel's head shocked me!

Alas, poor Joe! I knew him, BB -- a beast of infinite smells, of most excellent spit...he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed [blechh] I know not how oft.

(That speech just keeps coming around on this board, lol... in one form or another...)

LOL John! Camels do indeed smell pretty bad, particularly their breath...
Sorry to have shocked you BB! But I think somewhat similar sights (albeit with different animals) must've been common in the US, and certainly parts of Europe, not that many decades ago?

Down in some parts, such as Chinatown, of NYC...but lots of chickens and ducks, no camels.:wink_old: I did live in the seriously rural parts of south eastern Ohio and saw plenty of deer "hanging".

Maybe "shocked" was too strong a word, more like "surprised". Of course, you're right that there are many similar sights across the world...just not my regular every day little part of it.

Looking forward to more sights!

And John - many thanks for the epitaph like poetry!

Alas, poor Joe! I knew him, BB -- a beast of infinite smells, of most excellent spit...he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed [blechh] I know not how oft.

(That speech just keeps coming around on this board, lol... in one form or another...)

And it's just wrong hehe..

and yeah I didn't think they ate their rides (camels) but i guess...

and yeah I didn't think they ate their rides (camels) but i guess...
Camels provide lotsa stuff: transport (usually cargo not people), wool, milk, and once they lose their strength, meat. It's often... chewy... Although I had an excellent camel burger in Fes. Camel organ meat is even more difficult, particularly if you have to tear it apart with your hands (or only your right hand)... And then the chewing part aint that great either, truly awful textures!

Marrakech has completely surpassed my expectations; the presence of tourist hordes has made the place much more accessible than Fes, and the fact that there’s a central square where all the action is focused on also helps. But especially at night, it still remains a place by Moroccans for Moroccans, with a very thick sauce of wonderful, partying weirdness added to it.

Here we are now, entertain us!

13712356394_5d2f8eab16_b.jpg

Jmaa el Fna by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708535624_72f5efa17c_b.jpg

Siesta by bartjeej, on Flickr

13712483904_bc5c723e1a_b.jpg

Berber musicians / showmen by bartjeej, on Flickr

Crossed the Atlas Mountains for my first taste of the Sahara desert. . I’m absolutely amazed by the sparseness of the landscape, the way the mountains turn into plains with zero vegetation, which turn into blue-purple mountains again on the horizon. I hadn’t expected this part of the country – so close to the green Atlas mountains – to feature exactly the kind of epic desert landscapes I had been dreaming about. And then to experience all the blossoming life of an oasis in the middle of this harshness, as wel as the warmest and friendliest people in the streets I've met so far, really make this one of my favourite places in Morocco.

High and dry

13713948893_8f67beed90_b.jpg

Blossoming tree and knowledge by bartjeej, on Flickr

13846480245_77db49ae3e_b.jpg

Atlas, meet Sahara. by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708229584_bd564d4b92_b.jpg

The grass is greener in Skoura by bartjeej, on Flickr

13238894655_f8dc56c34d_b.jpg

SAM_1097_1 by bartjeej, on Flickr

Long time no updates, but I'm still alive.

I've been skirting the edge of the Sahara, sometimes in the desert, sometimes on fertile land. Booked a five day hike around Tafraoute. The first part, to be honest, has been somewhat of a disappointment (apart from the Jebel L’Kest climb), partially due to the guides not being what I expected and partially due to the inherent character of a guided tour; I’m starting to see that, if possible, I really prefer being able to wander around without any pressure to go in this direction or that. In a way I’m happy to discover that the second part of my five-day hike will happen without a guide since I won’t be able to get lost, or so they say…

A short guide to rock(s)

13708400794_48dd14131d_b.jpg

Ameln valley sunset by bartjeej, on Flickr

13925698963_10811268e0_b.jpg

Mirrored curve by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708096243_e0b47bf80f_b.jpg

Chleuh berber music group by bartjeej, on Flickr

Been watching your travels via Flickr, and though I'm sorry that parts of your trip haven't gone quite the way you'd hoped - the experience as a whole has to be amazing!

Uh oh, hadn't realized you had a blog going... I can see this will only add to my procrastinating ways, but it will be worth it!

Camels provide lotsa stuff: transport (usually cargo not people), wool, milk, and once they lose their strength, meat. It's often... chewy... Although I had an excellent camel burger in Fes. Camel organ meat is even more difficult, particularly if you have to tear it apart with your hands (or only your right hand)... And then the chewing part aint that great either, truly awful textures!
Don't forget the bones, they make all sorts of stuff out of them.

Thanks BB and Bob! Yes, I knew in advance that things wouldn't always go as planned and that there'd be unpleasant moments during the trip, but I try to just power through those moments and keep going. Worked so far, and it wouldn't be an adventure if everything were easy... ;)

Ah yes, totally forgot about the bones! Although Chinese plastic is making inroads in this part of the world, too...

Back