off to Africa!

Hi all!

As you might know the blog was a good bit behind on real events (about 2.5 months by the time of my previous post). About a month ago, just as I was about to enter Guinea Bissau, my journey was cut short when my grandfather became gravely ill (he has since passed away). I have since gotten a few requests from friends and family to finish the blog, and I think it'd be nice for myself too. It'll be a while until the whole trip has been covered, but anyway, here's the beginning of the end!

The gorges and oases of Afella Ighir form a 40+ km loop, and it's probably the most beautiful and peaceful part of Morocco I've seen. Met some very nice people, both fellow tourists and locals, and saw some incredible landscapes. Food was delicious too. If you ever go to Morocco and want a less touristy alternative to the Dades gorge, this is the place to be.

Between a rock and a dry place

14206166417_5098e6a7f6_b.jpg
overlooking Ait Mansour by bartjeej, on Flickr

14205990608_6229dfbb4b_b.jpg
water is life by bartjeej, on Flickr

14220046340_539bf89eb4_b.jpg
rolling waves of stone by bartjeej, on Flickr

13711955523_7af30cc534_b.jpg
Friendly gentleman by bartjeej, on Flickr

14388022876_b24f3c5f50_b.jpg
Dusty desert by bartjeej, on Flickr

14388009816_46a348ed5c_b.jpg
Tiouadou sunrise 3 by bartjeej, on Flickr

Bart, I am so sorry to learn of your grandfather's passing.

I am glad you're going to keep your blog going and let us armchair travelers and friends continue along for the ride. Although I haven't kept up, I plan on reading your story completely when we hit the winter months...when I'll long for warmer weather. ;-)

As on SC, many thanks for your kind words BB, I really appreciate them :grouphug:

Time for a new blog post...

Ramble on

... in which I meet someone who might be even clumsier than me, see some very old and some modern architecture, drink Snickers soup and get my first ever motorcycle ride (without a helmet, don't tell my parents ;) )

Some pics (didn't take many during these days, many many more to come in the next post):

14099061234_1e4cb16135_c.jpg
Agadir girl by bartjeej, on Flickr

14095469551_de22d761e8_b.jpg
Kasbah Tizourgane by bartjeej, on Flickr

14494892984_7688295be2_b.jpg
pebbles by bartjeej, on Flickr

As always, very beautiful images. As for cc, nothing much from me really, maybe just a little blown highlights on this way to heaven, then again it might be needed for the context of the image.

Thanks Phoenix! I do have a version of 'this way to heaven' that's exposed much lower, but I like this one a lot better (and so does my mom, so that's settled :tongue: ). As you said, it conveys the feeling I had a lot better this way. Still, very much appreciate your CC! :)

Life and general laziness kept me from updating the blog for the past >3 months, but here's another update. In this episode...

Magic Carpet Ride

... I do the most awesome thing I've ever done, followed by the most dangerous thing I've ever done. Looking back at it, I'm quite lucky to have survived, and the third reason that this blog post took so long is that, for a long time, I didn't have the courage to tell my parents just how dangerous this situation was. Anyway, here're some pics from the blog; more inside!

14624258177_82aeb08c3b_b.jpg

Scary? by bartjeej, on Flickr

14624161478_55eed9ec87_h.jpg
All aboard! by bartjeej, on Flickr

14900388905_c116605d34_h.jpg
Dragon dune by bartjeej, on Flickr

PS this episode, and particularly the magical night parts of it, is why I'm considering getting one of the Sony a7 series cameras; good results at super high ISO combined with small size and weather sealing.

PPS none of the photos in this episode were made with the X100, but for the sake of continuity I'm still posting it here. I'd have loved to use the X100 but I wasn't sure if my makeshift weather sealing would hold up to the dust storm created by the train, so I used my little Pentax PX waterproof camera, and in one instance my old Samsung EX1.

That first one is very eerie. Love the fellow wrapped in green in the foreground...the lines disappearing into the vanishing point, as well as the white wrapped women in the back. Normally I wouldn't ever make a cropping suggestion, however since we've known each other for such a long time... I'll hazard a suggestion which you can completely ignore:friends: - what about cropping the sky out to just about a 1/4 of an inch (sorry, you know us Americans - we're nonmetric speakers!) above the green man's head? This is a powerful image.

Thanks Kyle! It was indeed a bit riskier than I had anticipated, but an absolute highlight of my life nonetheless.
BB: Thanks for your suggestion - and please feel free to make comments or suggestions on any photo, any time, any place! :) I took your suggestion to heart and made it a 3:2 aspect ratio (was 4:3). I'm not entirely sure on whether I prefer one or the other; while the blue sky on top didn't have much of a function in and of itself, I do think it made the leading lines effect a bit stronger. What do you think? (hmm I might have to upload the original somewhere for comparison purposes, as I replaced the original on flickr with the crop). Oh and by the way, those are men with the white turbans in the background, not women. As far as I'm aware, no (local) women ride the cargo wagons, they all pay for a seat (or at least a place) in the lone passenger wagon at the rear.

Just a short little update, this blog post:
The best job in the world

... features no life-threatening situations (not for me, at least!), but does have an observation on daily life in Mauritania, some musings on the state of affairs with regard to religion, and a very exciting invitation.

Not many pics, but here're two, of a girl and her van...
15834714666_2f37ec9170_h.jpg
Anja @ bab sahara by bartjeej, on Flickr

15240877603_83d45596ae_h.jpg
Anja's trusty Mercedes van @ bab sahara by bartjeej, on Flickr

The girl, Anja, is one of the more interesting people I met in Africa, and one of only two female solo travellers I met South of Morocco...

A new job and a new girlfriend have conspired against me working on the blog, but here's an update. In this one...

1/5th of a tourist horde

... I go deeper into the desert, and back in time to one of the most important caravan towns of the Sahara, and Mauritania's closest thing to a tourist trap - which sees far fewer tourists per year than the Eiffel tower does per second.

15678551849_c1fb9205be_h.jpg
Dunes 1, Chinguetti 0 by bartjeej, on Flickr

15871733132_6268e131a4_h.jpg
old mosque, chinguetti by bartjeej, on Flickr

15252713643_b0a667a46d_h.jpg
boubou by bartjeej, on Flickr

Took me a long time to write this one, but I think it's been worth it... in this post...

Echoes of songs

... I experience one of my highlights of the trip: a 5 day, 100 kilometer trek through the desert, and everything that entails.

16241669135_20f106409e_h.jpg
Walkabout by bartjeej, on Flickr

16308296172_6c68c1da32_h.jpg
Counting camels by bartjeej, on Flickr

16317877626_38f4a29acf_h.jpg
Neck deep / thorny issue by bartjeej, on Flickr

15835587613_d99d1bb6c9_h.jpg
Curves and camels, II by bartjeej, on Flickr

16222510249_19a72671d9_h.jpg
Tanouchert street by bartjeej, on Flickr

I think some of my best images of the trip were shot during these 5 days... plenty more inside the blog ;)

Yet another post that's been a longggg time coming, but I finally got around to it! In this one...

Of women, bandits and a fake tan

I ruminate about the role of women, drug smugglers and oil companies in Mauritanian society, explore a caravan town, and make some more observations about daily life in this unique country.

17117975578_c61298ece2_h.jpg
Ouadane Ksar / oasis
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16746142401_826876577a_h.jpg
Silent afternoon
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16435337977_b7f5759bc9_h.jpg
Ouadane old mosque arches
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16683275184_46ff658604_h.jpg
Purple / Lime / Blue - Adrar plateau
by bartjeej, on Flickr

What? He's still working on this blog thing? Yes, its taking ridiculously long, but I guess it's becoming one of those "to show my future kids" things now...

Since Í'm an arrogant and forgetful idiot, I don't have any photos from one of the most stunning places I visited during my 4 months in Africa:doh:so instead, I asked two other travellers who visited that place for permission to use their photos. I think they help give a pretty good impression of the place, check it out:

A fairy tale with an anti-climax

Back