Leica Offical: Leica SL

They have been telling us recently of their cooperation with Panasonic "and other mfrs." on new cameras, so maybe they had to include designs from several mfrs., which then fattened up the camera. At the very least, there should be a strong message to the customer base that says this new camera is a great value or something, based on 'xyz' features. So far it's a common-looking list. Now I bought the 'T', and regret that only because nobody wanted to buy it. But I don't regret the Q because it's a powerful machine in a small-ish package. The SL has to justify the huge size somehow - I know my wife won't carry it. This will get very interesting.

I just can't get over the look of this body. I love the elegant R4/7 body. I like the then forward thinking R8/9. Now we have a Sony A7 look a like. Why can't they use the R8/9? I think that is a perfect design for a digital.

I wonder if this will actually be a big hit or if we are going to see it go for half price a year later

Last edited by a moderator:
It is going to do very poorly. Basically, it's a full-frame Leica T at several times the price. Why would anyone buy this over an A7-II?

I hope there is a new M coming, and this just is the Leica "B" team churning out the next flop.

"But Brian, tell us how you really feel"...

as i said in another thread, it is H U G E! bigger than some canikon. no analogue controls on camera. only focus peaking for manual focus aid--no hybrid or digital split screen. no on lens aperture ring! and $10,000 for cam+lens.

but give leica credit for celebrating the fall-holiday season with the camera version of 'its halloween charlie brown':

sony: 'i got an a7'
fugi: 'i got an xt1'
leica: 'i got a rock!'

ARGHH!

let me add that i really wanted this to BE something. instead it was like waiting on baited breath for the next stones album when i was a kid and getting 'satanic majesties'! double ARGHH!!

At first I was aghast. At the huge size. At the same sensor as the compact Q. At the price for a mirrorless. Then I got to thinking - the bigness will make DSLR users take it seriously (i.e. take you seriously) when they see you with it. I feel drawn to it. But I remember the 3-lb MM/Noctilux and carrying it in hand (can't do the neck carry), so this is going to be a tough sell. But it is big, and it will impress the heck out of everyone I know, and take better photos at several FL's that the Q can't match.

EDIT: From Ming Thien's review: "The telephoto end is a very mixed bag. I experienced serious forward focus shift when stopping down, resulting in much softer images than expected (not reflected on the top panel info)."

Last edited:
What the ???

Say it ain't so, Leica. We give up elegance of use for things we can do without.

Imagine if this had been a medium-frame "Q" instead. That I would have planned into my future.

Let's hope the "Q" keeps them solvent while they work up the next gen "M."

Is this as big as the S? I've been eyeing the S2 006, more like lusting over it for a while now, since they lowered the price :)

But I remember the 3-lb MM/Noctilux and carrying it in hand (can't do the neck carry), so this is going to be a tough sell.

Exactly, Dale. After the initial excitement, how often would anyone want to grab the SL instead of the Q (upper left vs. right middle)?

21615453253_1c85b372e2_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5790/21615453253_1c85b372e2_c.jpg

This is for a much different photographer than someone who shoots M8, M9, M, or Q. For each of those cameras we're willing to forego relatively minor conveniences for compact size and elegance of use. Without sacrificing large sensor Leica image quality.

With the SL, there is also excellent auto-focus, lens versatility, responsiveness, movies, burst exposures, and best-ever evf, but it has become a tank to achieve those. Not for me, nor I guess many people on this site.

Is there really an audience for this camera that will make it successful?

I've been reading a lot of reviews and information on the SL and it seems that the more educated commentators are pointing out that the SL isn't suppose to compete with the A7 but instead high end traditional DSLRs. In that regard, the SL is smaller than the Canon and Nikon bodies that are currently filling that niche. Given how large that initial native lens is, I believe the SL needs to be as big as it is for handling purposes.

I'm interested in the SL for those things that the M system doesn't do (telephoto, AF, etc.), it would complement my M system and not replace it. I'd love to see a comparison between the SL and the 240 in terms of usability with adapted R lenses, that's what I would primarily use the SL for anyway. There's no way I can justify an SL right now, but give it a couple of years on the second hand market and it could happen (maybe?).

The more I think about it, for handheld shooting with a 4.5 lb camera with BIG lens, I will need a shooter's harness. But I am seeing this machine as the death knell for DSLR's - something I've always avoided. I had an R3 Safari once with 50 mm Safari lens, and gave it away in a $15 gift exchange. Every time the mirror snapped it made me feel like I was carrying a kid's toy.

I would rather Leica put their resources into the Leica M series. They are stretching their support resources thin with having too many lines.

I think the sales of M series is extremely slow lately. You can see that the sale of any M product right now, whether it be the limited edition series, the standard M-P, even the new mono and all the M lenses are not going very well. In order to keep the light on, they needed something that can appeal to a bigger market and sell more of. I think with Q, they got a winner but not sure about the SL. As for trying to attack the DSLR market, not sure if the SL has the right feature. Let's face it, the Nikon D810 is an amazing DSLR. It is fast, great DR and IQ with tons of lens. The CLS is also amazing for all those who needed creative lighting. It is also quite a tough camera. I think it will be hard to convince a Nikon/Canon shooter to switch.

I guess time will tell.

Back