Fuji Official Fuji X20 Full Size Samples Posted

Argh... portraits, damnit!

;)

Ha! I wouldn't hold your breath as I don't see many people shooting the type and quality of portraits with the X10 that you are able to create with yours. Maybe you should contact them and ask for a sample copy with the understanding that they can use a few of your images for promotion!

That said, I do like the one of the blood oranges!

Ha! I wouldn't hold your breath as I don't see many people shooting the type and quality of portraits with the X10 that you are able to create with yours. Maybe you should contact them and ask for a sample copy with the understanding that they can use a few of your images for promotion!

That said, I do like the one of the blood oranges!

+1 on getting Fuji to sign up Sardonic Iconic to shoot Fuji marketing materials from now on!!!

+1 on the blood orange photos.

The rest look a little flat and soft for my taste. It's just odd that generally speaking, "sample" photos from camera makers don't look very good.

The rest look a little flat and soft for my taste. It's just odd that generally speaking, "sample" photos from camera makers don't look very good.
I think the degree of sharpness is quite impressive - especially on the one with the girl and the exercise book, and on the tulips. Both hold up to 100% without showing any smears or jags. I know what you mean though. The official X10 samples on the Fuji web site were quite poor too. Let's hope someone with more skill gets hold of one soon !

I'm encouraged by the first two pictures (rowers and oranges) but less so by the others.

I need to see examples of the famous Fuji flesh tones before I pull the trigger on an X20 purchase.

-R

The copy book paper has a good feel to it and the detail in the river buildings shot looks pretty good for a small sensor at ISO400. Some of the other shots look like they've got too much noise reduction. A quick look at the EXIF data doesn’t show an entry for NR. If these are at the default, I'd like to see some with less NR. The images I checked all had sharpness set to Normal. About half had exposure comp of +/- 1/3 stop.

English translation:
Google Translate

The copy book paper has a good feel to it and the detail in the river buildings shot looks pretty good for a small sensor at ISO400.

Does the Fuji DR expansion work like that in other brands? i.e. They call it ISO 400 so that the exposure values make sense, but it is really an ISO 100 image underexposed two stops but with the shadows pushed.

Does the Fuji DR expansion work like that in other brands? i.e. They call it ISO 400 so that the exposure values make sense, but it is really an ISO 100 image underexposed two stops but with the shadows pushed.

I don't know how it works on the X20. They've had different implementations on different cameras. However, base ISO read noise has gotten to a point where there is little difference between an ISO 400 file and an ISO 100 file pushed two stops except that the latter let's you have more highlight headroom in the RAW file.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

When I first looked at these this morning I was a bit underwhelmed but now that I look again I think they look quite good considering the sensor size. They do look a bit flat but so do most of my photos straight of my X10, couple of minutes mangling in Faststone Image Viewer usually sorts them out. I wonder if these X20 samples are straight out of camera jpegs.

Overall, I think too much NR was applied. I'll never display the pictures at 100%, so if it gets a bit crunchy at those magnifications, I largely don't care. In general I prefer noise to lack of detail, as long at the choma noise is dealt with efficiently. I rarely do anything except reduce the chroma noise, not caring for the smoothing effect of luminance treatment.

Back