Official SiJ 2017 - Day 1.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
Hello and welcome to the Single in January for 2017.

In broad terms the purpose is to take a photo a day with a nominated camera/lens combination.

A thread like this one will be established to post your image for that day. Feel free to add any comment or info to your post. It will appear at midnight on the International Date Line.
Please wait for each thread which will read SiJ 2017 - Day x.

Likewise other members are encouraged to make a comment on someone else's image or to "Like" or another button. This can apply to non-participants too.

The main object is to participate to your best level so if you miss a day for example you can still continue.

There are some good points made here:

I was up at 4.30am this morning for a walk along the beach, it was very hazy a beautiful start to the New Year.
EM5 mk2 + Olympus 25mm.
New Years Dawn.jpg

r0000082-1024resize_orig.jpg

Ricoh GR-II

All the best my new and old friends. Hope to connect with you all again through this month.

So I concede my first image for 2017 isn't technically, aesthetically nor even artistically challenging. It appears a simple snap shot of something quite mundane. However it does capture the spirit of my intent moving forward into 2017, not only photographically, but also more essentially.

It is about my being more honest and direct with how I interact with the world. Stripped of the pretentions of what others necessarily might think; trying to satisfy perceived standards of what is good. Don't get me wrong this isn't license to be selfish or narcissistic - actually quite the opposite - it's about living some fundamental tenets such as "Do no harm" and "Do unto others as you'd have done to you", but without the added layers of judgement and calculation. Photographically no one portrays this essence better than William Eggleston. And so I thought it fitting that my first image for 2017 be a homage to him.

So apologies for the long-winded treatise for the first image, but I thought I might give some context.

Now let's do this!

Last edited:
Very kind of you to say Sue. So are you participating this month?
Sure am. Not getting out as much as I used to so most shots will be from around the house or the near neighbourhood :). I decided to bite the bullet and use the LX100 which I have not been bonding with particularly well. I've taken some already but am hoping to have a little wander a bit later.

Gillymaru launched the whole shebang with one of the most purely beautiful seascapes I have seen in some time. Bravo..... and welcome to the website.

And Mark, I'm glad you made it. I nearly sent you a pm earlier to make sure you knew we were on it. Also, I love the Big Star album cover tribute ;)

And Mark, I'm glad you made it. I nearly sent you a pm earlier to make sure you knew we were on it. Also, I love the Big Star album cover tribute ;)
I knew I was drawn here by some higher power. T'was the force of Luke:jedi:

....and right on. You certainly know your artists mate :2thumbs:
MI0003762478.jpg

embarrassed to admit I knew Big Star before Eggleston, but I have known the photo as Egglestons for the last 5 years. So while I'm still an amateur photo afficianado, I'm fairly OK with the biggies. I'm probably better than 90% of the population, but honestly that's not saying much. I need to view more works from the masters.

Well the day remains pretty horrible even though cooler than yesterday, the clouds have kept most of the heat down on the ground.

And here's my Bougainvillea :)
View attachment 122068
I'm certainly glad of the change in the weather Sue. Yesterday was intolerable....

Great selection of DoF here Sue. Them stamens (or are they the actual flower surrounded by petal-like leaves?) are sharp, sharp, sharp.

Well the day remains pretty horrible even though cooler than yesterday, the clouds have kept most of the heat down on the ground.

And here's my Bougainvillea :)
View attachment 122068
Well done, as you correctly alluded, the weather's quite awful for photography today in our part of the world, so I can appreciate the effort required to get some colour/light in that photo.

New Year Resolution - tidy up my desk and office.
I am shooting jpg on the Pany TZ70 in Aperture Priority with no post processing.
A bad decision for a first shot?

View attachment 122069
oh OK, is that 'dirty'? Looks like my desk at work....which is like something from an Ikea catalogue compared to my study here at home. Oh boy!!!
...I should clean it one day though, might unearth a camera or two I didn't even know I had.

Mate going to be great spending the month with you

I'm so glad we're doing it again. And good to see that this thread thing hasn't stopped people from commenting.

I am enjoying the results so far: a great landscape, a conceptual picture (was about to PM Mark as well... joined Forces), beautiful leaves that can be mistaken for flowers, a deskscape and a cloudscape. I have decided to go straight out of camera JPEG *and* to a series. I am undecided about the subject of the series. When I go out later to take my first picture, I'll choose between the two finalists subjectwise.

Back