Oh My Gosh, I'm Such a Nerd... (Knives and Books)

Seamus3900

Regular
Perhaps not the most appropriate book to photograph with a knife but what a great book it is.
American Psycho.jpg

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The absence of Blade Runner really bothered me. Since the movie is now contemporary, I used the cover of the eBook graphic novel for the original story upon which the movie is based, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". I looked up the term "blade runner" and apparently this often applies to a smuggler of medical supplies, so I borrowed the appropriate blade from the Biology Department.
bladerunner.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Loudon

Regular
Real Name
Jack Loudon
IMG_0363.jpg
I bought this Last Whole Earth Catalog in Vancouver BC, circa 1971. It was a unique document in the times before internet, and fuel for my adventures over the next 10-15 years. I don't hold many objects dear, but will never get rid of this book. The humble Victorinox knife (and not the Spyderco from an earlier post) is really my everyday carry, due to its benign appearance and greater usefulness. The hatchet is also well used but is only included because the little knife looked lost on the big book :)

Jack Loudon

Regular
Real Name
Jack Loudon
Jack, that book totally rings a bell from the dim depths of my childhood... I seem to associate it with the Foxfire book collections.
I think the primary difference between the two was that Foxfire was about preserving (for posterity) the crafts and skills from a disappearing way of life. The Whole Earth Catalog more practical, and featured both old and new tools and techniques, interwoven with counterculture philosophy. It was meant to be put to use; as a reference and an instruction book, meant for contemporary (1970's) self-sufficiency. It was powerful catalyst for this small town kid.
Addendum: Steve Jobs (2005) described the Whole Earth Catalog as 'Google in paperback form, thirty-five years before Google came along'.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom